“The best”

Big Island Divers
Ranked #1 of 200 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Big Island Divers has been serving the Kona diving community since 1984. We offer a full-service diving experience, allowing you to relax and enjoy the underwater scenery. With 5 vessels and a crew of over 40, we accommodate divers or snorkelers of all experience levels and take great pride in providing unforgettable memories day after day. We love sharing our passion with others, and we offer a wide variety of certifications for beginners and advanced divers alike. Our knowledgeable and patient PADI and SSI instructors are here to help those wanting to take the first step in their dive education; experienced divers can enjoy progressing their skills with our extensive specialty course offerings list. Our newly-renovated, 2,000+ square foot retail space is fully stocked with every kind of equipment, apparel, dive accessory,and snorkel gear you need to enjoy the ocean.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Was there in early March. Kinda late for my review! Wonderful folks! Divemasters Tara and Flipper were amazing. I feel like it's diving with friends. I'll be back!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I did the Manta Ray snorkel and at first I was really nervous about being in the water at night but I was immediately put at ease when I met the crew, they are so knowledgeable and professional I was able to stop worrying and enjoy the experience. As for the experience, it was truly amazing, anybody visiting the big island needs to do this trip! There were probably 10 mantas and they all come up right in your face and they are beautiful! Sadly one of them had a hook stuck in its mouth and from the surface we could see the Dive Master, Jes, pull the line out and help save it! It was amazing! Also, Sarah, who led our snorkel group was so great she led us around on a big float so we didn't even have to do like any work, just keep our feet up and watch all of the awesome!
A few other things I noticed were once we got to the dive site there were TONS of other charters out there and while we were waiting for the sun to go down and the mantas to show up Big Island Divers seemed to be the only ones giving a little briefing on what to expect and different facts about mantas which was pretty informative and also very entertaining. Then once the sun was down Sarah had us wait until the mantas actually showed up so that we didn't waste time in the cold water just looking at plankton which gave us a little more time to spend with the actual mantas, in fact we were the last group left in the water and got to have quick show of our own while heading back to the boat which was really cool!
Over all the experience was amazing and the crew- Sarah, Jes, and Andrew- added so much value to the trip with their knowledge and expertise! If you are going to see the mantas (which you absolutely should!) you should go with BID, they are definitely the best!

1  Thank papillon911
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Big Island Divers is the best from the staff at the shop to the crew on the boat. There were 7 in our party from beginner to better than beginner and the staff were friendly and helpful. We were so fortunate to have a party of 3 dolphins hang out with us for quite a long time. They were just as curious about us as we were them. I highly recommend Big Island Divers for your snorkel/dive experience.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I joined Big Island Divers for their twilight and Manta Ray dives charter. We had a great time diving with them. Everyone from the people in the shop to the crew of the dive boat were professional, friendly and helpful and we had an enjoyable time. Whether you're a diver or snorkeler, you don't want to miss an opportunity to dive with the Manta Rays.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I have dived all destinations all over Hawaii, Mexico, Tahiti, California, Costa Rica, Florida and the Caribbean and can truly say that I was more impressed with Big Island Divers than any other dive operator. They were helpful and friendly beyond compare. Everyone had a smile on their face and down to earth...no grumpy captains or arrogant divemasters here. If I'm ever back to Kona there is no question that Big Island will be my choice.

1  Thank AZDiver1279