“Awesome snorkelling experience!!”

Manta Ray Night Snorkel from Kona
Ranked #3 of 199 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1971, Fair Wind has been the leader in snorkel cruises on the Big Island of Hawaii. Cruises include morning and afternoon tours to pristine Kealakekua Bay aboard the spacious Fair Wind II. Enjoy one of Hawaii's top snorkel locations and site of the famous Captain Cook Monument. Perfect for families of all ages and experience levels. Includes (2) 15-ft waterslides and high-jump platform. *Save 10-15% by booking direct at Fair Wind Cruises official website.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Vancouver, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome snorkelling experience!!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I always wanted to do snorkeling. Before our trip I looked up for Snorkel tours in Hawaii and found couple of tours. I read most of the reviews and found that Fair Winds would be the best for us as me and my hubby don't know to swim. We booked the Afternoon Snack Cruise. The staff/ crew were very friendly. We told them to keep an eye on us as we both of are non-swimmers.. My husband wears prescription glasses and so he wasn't sure if he is going to do snorkeling. But, they had Prescription glasses and my husband was able to see very clearly with it.

We did snorkel for couple of minutes wearing the floating belt and the inner tube. After some time, my hubby removed the inner tube and was doing snorkeling. I felt little confident seeing him doing that and so I removed my inner tube and just went couple of feet when I think I turned my shoulder and went into the water. One of the crew member who was watching me threw the inner tube at me which helped me but I couldn't go inside the tube as I was panicked because one of my fins came out. That's when she(Crew) jumped into the water and helped me putting the inner tube around my waist.

We saw lot of corals and fishes. On our way back, we did see a whale. It was an awesome experience. I would recommend everyone especially non-swimmers to go with this tour if you want to do snorkeling in Hawaii.

Visited November 2013

• Korean first
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Wonderful trip. Higher cost than other snorkel tours, but worth the extra attention and space you receive on this comfortable boat.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Daytime snorkel Cruise and Night-time MAnta Ray Snorkel”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The crews that staff these boats/tours are amazing!! They are informative and patient with beginners in the water. They are friendly and enjoy their jobs.. The morning snorkel tours at the Capt. Cook monument was amazing!! We left at 9am and were fed a light breakfast on the boat once we had made it to the snorkel site, then we had two hours in the water total. The water is clear and calm and you can see to the bottom without difficulty. The site is full of beautiful coral, and a multitude of beautiful fish, and sea urchins. After an hour in the water the lunch bell rang and our on boat BBQ of hotdogs/ hamburgers began which I must say was really good. Then we went back in the water for another hour. If you wanted to get in an inter-tube or use the water slide off the boat that was an option as well. On the way back after the snorkel a nice treat of Mai-Tai's or beer were available for purchase.

The night-time manta-ray snorkel was the highlight of my trip!!! It was breath-taking to be in the water and watching this amazing animals swim directly up underneath us to fed on the plankton. Talk about beautiful water ballet- it was mesmerizing watching them. Again, the crew was amazing, informative, patient, and always safety minded.Someone was always in the water with us for the entire hour and if anyone became unsure the crew was there to reassure and help them. Once we all came out of the water, hot soup, and hot chocolate was there to warm us up and then they played the video that was shot during our excursion which was available to buy.

I would recommend this company for an activity you choose to do while on the Big Island hands down!!!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank cconrad5
CA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“manta rays”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

these guys know what they are doing in terms of attracting the manta rays over. what an experience doing a night dive, with these manta rays swimming right towards you! includes some warm soup afterwards and all the gear.

be warned, tho, if you get seasick easily, take some pills or something

Visited November 2013
Huntington Beach, California
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent Snorekling Option”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We did the book one get one half off web special. Deluxe Morning Snorkel on one day, Manta Rat evening snorkel another day. both were excellent experiences!!

The best thing about the Deluxe Morning Snorkel was the boat. large spacious seating where you could leave your stuff the whole time. Very comfortable. We snorkeled at two locations - Captain Cook Monument and some sea cliffs/caves further south. Both had an amazing amount of fish and we spent every minute we could in the water. Lunch was good.

The Manta Ray Night Snorkel was phenomenal. I was a little apprehensive when booking it as going in the ocean at night seemed a bit scary, but it was very comfortable. When we arrived, there was already another boat set up there, but they were departing when we were getting in the water and our experience with the mantas was amazing, so no complaints there. The water is a little chilly but you are provided knee/elbow wet suits and they do a pretty good job. I only got cold towards the end of the hour in the water, and then of course was cold as soon as we hopped out, wet. But the staff has hot chocolate and soup ready and waiting to help you warm up.

Both activities were well worth the price and I would suggest they are "don't miss" activities if you enjoy snorkeling! We had a very good experience every step of the way with Fair Wind.

Visited October 2013