“Lovely breakfast and excellent service”

Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 293 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Alii Drive
Description: Fish Hopper - Kailua-Kona * Experience the beauty of the Pacific Ocean at The Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks, overlooking Kailua Bay on the Big Island Hawaii. Enjoy fresh Big Island and seafood flown in weekly from California. Our bar serves up signature Bucket of Fire and Volcano flaming drinks and is the perfect oceanfront location to gather with friends for Happy Hour. We are within walking distance to shops and historic sites. A landmark (formerly the Ocean View Inn) and a local favorite Kona restaurant since 1934. The Fish Hopper has been beautifully restored to expand upon its spectacular ocean views. We proudly serve seafood from sustainable sources, harvested by methods that do not harm the environment. Open daily from 730am-930pm.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My sister and I had breakfast here today and had a wonderful time. You can't beat the location: right across from the Kailua Pier and the restaurant is open to the cool ocean breezes. Old-time visitors will remember the former Ocean View Restaurant here. We ordered omelets but there was a slight mixup with our order. Our server (Margaret) was wonderful and a new order was delivered before we knew it. Both omelets were delicious with fresh veggies (and artichoke hearts, yum), perfectly cooked and seasoned. We've had lunch here before (great fresh fish dishes) with a similar positive experience.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Great ambience even tho you are sitting next to the road. The harbor and ocean views are super nice. Felt like we were VERY rushed. Know we were among the last diners arriving at 8pm but would have liked to relax and be more leisurely. Felt like they wanted us to hurry so the staff could go home even tho the sign said they were open til 11pm. We were in/out in 45 minutes. Food was very large portions with lots of vegetables. Staff were friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

They have a great happy hour with a beautiful view right on the main street. Try their fruity drink, can not remember the name, that has kiwi fruit and strawberries!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I found this place through Yelp while waiting inline to place our name on a list for a table at another seafood restaurant made famous by Tom Hanks.

This place was packed. They had plates of food & cocktails on display at the entrance. While waiting to be seated, we were in pure amazement as we checked out our food options.

Shortly, we were seated near the water as we had requested. We were presented with our menus & informed of the evening's specials. We took a look the drink menu; my wife ordered their version of a Piña Colada & I ordered a drink made with Ginger Beer and Gin. The picture of my wife's drink did the drink no justice. Her drink was amazing; mine on the other hand was bit lacking and did not pair well with my entree. Other patrons near us were being served HUGE amounts of food; with that said, we did not order any appetizers. However, we did order a cup of chowder for each of us. It's great and worth ordering.

Based on the reconstruction of the wait staff, my wife ordered the Hawaiian Ono; which was described as being a white fish that was a bit more firm. Based on plating and presentation, this dish earns A+. Based on taste, C+. In Hawaiian, ono means delicious; the fish was not.
I ordered the rack of ribs with the Cajun Prawns. These ribs were great, ribs were HUGE! The restaurant was a bit classy, so I felt bad for eating my ribs with my fingers. There was so much food on my plate, it was difficult to place the ribs on the plate to cut the ribs.

So overall, this place was pretty good, but maybe not worth the price points. I would say it would be worth $5-$10 less. The service from our waitress, Kime, was great. She was very attentive and kind!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stopped here for late lunch after a longgggg walk across the lava fields.... to celebrate my best friend Louise M. Goldsberry's 60th birthday and they were so accommodating!! They brought out the desert tray and let her decide: Lilikoi Cheesecake and rainbow candles to add to her special day! Thank you Fish Hopper!

Lottie T, Marketing Representative at Fish Hopper Seafood and Steaks, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Lava hike to lilikoi cheesecake! We are delighted to have been a part of your wonderful day! A huge Hauoli La Hanau (Happy Birthday) to Louise M Goldsberry, and a warm aloha to you for sharing!