“Best view, Owners most responsive and friendly of any island hotel”
Review of Kona Sugar Shack

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Sugar Shack
Reviewed 6 February 2009

I was treated with utmost care - an upgrade was provided at a small extra expense with a drop dead view of the ocean. Very comfortable with many extras you can borrow for your beach trips. The advice Jae gave was right on and things are exactly as she describes- so she helps you miss the so-so places and you get to enjoy the best of the island. John's art is so beautiful and unique, be sure to ask to see his studio. I will come back with my family as soon as I can. oh, also, the pool is refreshing - is was wonderful to see the mood and stars while I relaxed there in the water- and I could see and hear ocean waves & birds singing always from my room, and the garden is lush with old Hawaiin style. Unforgetable!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank 30happyone

Reviewed 24 January 2009

My daughter and I just spent 8 days at the Kona Sugar Shack and it was a great vacation! I wholeheartedly recommend this inn to anyone looking to stay in Kona who doesn't absolutely need to be able to walk to town. If you've been there, you know that the town can be noisy. Well, 2-3 miles south, on Alii Drive, sits the Sugar Shack, which is a beautiful house containing 4 suites. The innkeepers, Jae and John, also live there. It is right across the street from White Sands Beach, so you can take your towel, snorkel, etc. and walk right on over. We stayed in the Pool Suite, which is on the ground floor and opens out onto the pretty pool area with gorgeous tropical landscaping. Having tea and tropical fruit in the morning out there was heaven. There is an outdoor kitchen -- how cool is that? It is communal, but most days we were the only ones using it. Same goes for the grill. The service goes above and beyond. Example: my daughter thought she had lost her passport, but the staff found it in the room after we departed and mailed it to her in Honolulu, having first called and emailed me about it. What can I say except you can't have this experience at a big resort?

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank dotsomeis
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I spent eight days at the Kona Sugar Shack with my wife, her sister and my two kids. Each year I have been to Hawaii trying a different island, and last year we all realized that the Big Island was the island we loved best. Each year we have stayed at a resort hotel, however this year I decided to try the Kona Sugar Shack based on some personal recommendations. I can't express just how much staying at the Kona Sugar Shack contributed to the best vacation we have had as a family. It was like walking in to your own home... all of the details were provided (spices, saran wrap, appliances and more)... which meant all we had to do was a Costco run for the basics. The accommodations were private and spacious. Across the street was White Sands, one of the best swimming beaches on the Big Island. Next door to White Sands was an AMAZING snorkeling beach. Way better than any of the tourist traps you might make the mistake of visiting. One morning we saw dolphins playing in front of Kona Sugar Shack as we had breakfast. Jae and John are wonderful hosts and even greater people. What else can I say aside from amazing, wonderful, great value and I am coming back soon.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank Canuck_Woodinville
Reviewed 8 October 2008

We do not write reviews very often but this place really deserves a great rating! After much research we booked our ten-day vacation at the Kona Sugar Shack Vacation Inn in mid-September 2008 and had the time of our lives to say the least. John and Jae are Hoteliers extraordinaire! We stayed in their Ocean Suite which has an ocean view and served as an excellent base for our Island adventures. This ocean suite is a 3-bedroom upstairs unit that has been creatively decorated throughout and is stocked with everything you need for a self-sufficient vacation, minus fresh groceries, but condiments and spices are well stocked. It has a private veranda where we ate all of our meals and we watched the sun set and the waves crash on the rocks. The fully-equipped kitchen makes it a home away from home. For play time, there is a storage closet on the ground floor full of beach necessities like sand chairs, an inflatable sea turtle, boogie boards, snorkel gear, flippers, coolers and umbrellas all for guest use.

The Inn’s garden areas have fresh basil, mint, papayas and bananas ready to eat ,and the palms, tropical flowers and giant banana leave trees make excellent props for tropical photographs. It is a jungle like setting with colorful tropical bird species visiting us on the patio, some loud singers, some just curious, and the myna birds looked like they were out with their buddies all night long forgetting to comb their head feathers in the morning, kind of like John McCaskill. I have since adopted that hairdo as part of the Island ways.

The Inn is located on Alii Drive south of the main tourist area but restaurants and stores are a short drive away. There is limited taxi and bus service in Kona as well as everything else that one may need. We recommend getting a rental car, however.

In short, we are already planning our next visit and will endeavor to bring family members with us so they can enjoy what the Kona Sugar Shack Vacation Inn has to offer.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank auporphyry
Reviewed 7 September 2008

My family of 14 (ages 1-68) stayed here for a week to celebrate my parent's 45th anniversary. We couldn't have had a more first-class experience. The accommodations were very comfortable and the kitchens stocked with everything we could need. The hosts were very nice and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We especially appreciated full access to all of the pool, beach and snorkeling gear. Across the street from great boogie boarding and snorkeling. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Sagres92
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Our suite (Ocean Suite) is the second floor of this home/guest house, with full kitchen, three bedrooms, two full bath, dining room, living room, and two balconies. Clean, fabulously furnished, overlooking the ocean and private swimming pool. The McCaskills are generous hosts, offering their hometown knowledge of Kona and the Big Island, helping you find your way. Staying at the Sugar Shack felt almost European in the intimacy and quality of the stay. Our family was welcomed, we could decompress, and felt at home. The McCaskills brought us fresh limes and bananas from their lovely garden, and we frankly did not want to leave. What better recommendation can I offer?

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank rowingman
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We have just returned from spending 4 days at the Sugar Shack. It was great, the location was perfect itgave us easy access to all the activities we planned on that side of the island. The innkeepers (Jae and John) were fabulous they gave great advice for activities that shouldn't be missed, dining, and best routes to get around the island. We plan on calling the Sugar Shack home again when we return to the Big Island

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coconut79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Aston Kona by the Sea
Aston Kona by the Sea
#3 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Kona Sugar Shack? Share your experiences!