“$500 stolen from locked room”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
A-Kiwi Gardens Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My family and I stayed here once. $500 dollars was stolen in the middle of the night from my mother in her locked room. I hate to think what might have happened if we would have woke up during the robbery. Do night put your family at risk. I was told by the owner that we would recieve a $500 dollar creidt with him to stay at one of his properties in the future. I tried to take the owner up on his offer this year. I was told by him " the only reason I told you that was because I thought you would never take me up on it". I guess he firgured who would want to stay with him again. The place is also dirty and not well kept. Spend a little extra money and keep yourself safe.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
8  Thank mapacho

Reviewed 1 October 2008

We stayed here twice, once in 2007 and previously in 2006, since we like Kona so much. The first year was okay, all things considered. The owner is not at the property, and it had changed hands sometime around 2005-2006. The previous owner(s) must have sold the place "as is." The raggedy ann and andy dolls mentioned in other reviews were still there, along with many clothing items in the closet of the master suite. I thought that odd. The man "on duty" was very accommodating, however, and that makes up for a lot. Returning the following yr. I expected appearances to be much improved, but it was the opposite. It looked a bit worse for wear and dirty. Other guests visiting from Belgium were so unhappy with the living conditions, they asked us for a recommendation, which we gave them (another B&B down the coast). They were gone in an instant. I cannot say why it is run as it is, but it seems that the offsite owner bought the house to "flip" it, and therefore didn't put in much effort to freshen the place up. Maybe that's not at all the case, but that fits what we saw.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank RollingstoneMD
Reviewed 14 August 2007

There was a death in the family and we had to cancel our stay at Kiwi Gardens. All other hotels were very accommadating, but Kiwi Gardens kept our money - all of it! We were appauled. Don't stay here, they are crooks...

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank Worldtraveller711
Reviewed 5 June 2005

My husband and I are planning another trip to Hawaii. As I was again looking for B&B's, I remembered the horrible experience we had last year on our honeymoon. My husband and I booked this B&B for the last night of our honeymoon. We were running late for check in due to the fact that there was bad weather traveling from Hilo. We called to let the owners know what we were experiencing and we thought we would arrive between 7 and 8pm. The response was short and terse but they said OK. We soon realized we would not be able to arrive until about 9pm. We called again (not wanting any surprises). We were scolded by a very rude man...telling us that "this is a neighborhood and and that we were putting them out". When we finally did arrive it was to a very dark house and to a room that was suppose to have a private porch, an ocean view and an ocean breeze. None of which was true. We tried to go to sleep but it was so hot and my husband has asthma. We ended up leaving in the middle of the night to go to a regular hotel.
The nightly rate we were charged was $100. Spend the extra $25-$50 for a hotel or nicer B&B. It is worth it to know what you will be getting and that you are not staying with people who are rude and inflexible. As tourists you never know what is going to happen and peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars.

• Stayed: August 2004
9  Thank asil73
Management response:Responded 8 June 2005

We definitately have an ocean view, sorry their late night
arrival and no full moon did not lend to ocean viewing, as far the breeze, I cannot control
the weather... The Master Suite is located at the left end of the house,Total privacy there on that end of lanai and then the front of lani is screened in showing back gardens,
ocean view and the right side is open for emergency access......

Reviewed 3 June 2005

We did not enjoy our stay at Kiwi Gardens at all. To say that the people have eclectic tastes would be an understatement. I love character, but this was a little extreme.

I think the thing that freaked my wife out the most was that there were Raggedy Ann (sp?) dolls, decorations, books, knick-knacks, etc absolutely everywhere. She couldn't sleep as she had visions of being woken by the owner standing over our bed dressed as Raggedy Ann!

We stayed in the Master Suite "Keane" Room, which was a good size; however there was no bathroom door. Now my wife and I are close and all, but we do like to be able to close the bathroom door for some privacy.

Of all 10 places we stayed on our Hawaii honeymoon, this was by far the worst.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank aadams01
Management response:Responded 8 June 2005

The Master Suite has a large solid stand up screen (8 sections) separating the bathroom from the
bedroom.

There is not one raggedy doll in the Master Suite.
I am a raggedy doll colector and display two dozen
in the huge family room......Over the 15 years of
greeting guests in our beautiful bed and breakfast
I have heard sooo many fun raggedy stories from
my guests, I am very sorry that we made anyone
uncomfortable.

Reviewed 4 May 2005

This was a very nice place to stay. We had the master suite, which was clean and nice sized. We were also allowed to store our stuff in their garage when we went over to stay in Volcano for the night. We picked it up the next day before our flight out of Kona. Very convenient!

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank GoGatorsTampa_FL
A TripAdvisor Member
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed 23 April 2005

The Kiwi Gardens B and B was the perfect place to relax, relax, relax! We three "native" islanders know what "aloha" is and Shirlee and Ron have plenty of it! Ron even fixed our car! Shirlee's breakfasts were awesome and we enjoyed chatting with her and the other guests. As islanders who have not stayed at B and B's before, we were a little skeptical. Shirlee dispelled our doubts. No more hotels for us!!

• Stayed: March 2005