We two were warmly greeted by Wendi and Dave upon our arrival at Honu Kai B&B. On our first night we hadn't made any dinner plans, but Wendi graciously offered to book us a table at the Holuakoa Cafe, a short drive away. This allowed us more time to unpack and unwind after our flight, which we greatly appreciated.
We stayed in Lani Room, upstairs from the dining area, which felt very comfortable and restful throughout our stay. As other guests have noted, the upstairs rooms seem to have fantastic ventilation, and share a lanai overlooking the garden.
We loved the variety and quality of breakfast dishes served at the B&B, including their macadamia nut french toast, banana rum waffles, and others. We were also amazed by the variety of tropical birds living on the property; they seemed especially active during the mornings, and often perched on tree branches just outside our window. A bite of breakfast here and some bird-watching there made our stay more memorable still.
Wendi and Dave were always eager to answer any questions about the Big Island, even volunteering some fabulous suggestions for beaches and sites to visit. They also gave expert advice about which roads to take during certain hours of the day, specifically to avoid heavy traffic but also targeted for sunset viewing opportunities. We were delighted to have consulted them before our various trips throughout the island.
To Wendi and Kona Dave: Andrew and I want to thank you for your warmth and hospitality. You put so much love and care into everything you do for your guests and the B&B and it shows. It was such a pleasure to stay at the Honu Kai B&B and we look forward to our next visit with you on the Big Island.
Margaret and Andrew
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise with Aloha! Honu Kai, set on a lush tropical 1.3 acre estate, offers a serene, Zen like feel amidst an old growth garden environment ... so relax, rejuvenate your senses and feel at one with nature — whether it’s lounging on the expansive lanai deck, listening to the water flowing into the koi pond, enjoying the garden jacuzzi under the Kona stars, or letting the occasional rain falling on the roof lull you to sleep. Full outdoor kitchen, gas BBQ, shared refrigerator, microwave, 24/7 coffee+tea. Concierge services and trip planning by very knowledgeable hosts. Honu Kai is extremely conscious of our environment and is 100% solar powered. We have been recognized as a Platinum Level Green Leader by TripAdvisor, their highest level of recognition. We use biodegradable toiletries, water efficient fixtures, Energy Star appliances, recycle waste, encourage towel and linen reuse, and serve locally sourced or on-site grown organic produce. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Honu Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Honu Kai Bed And Breakfast
- Honu Kai B&B Hawaii/Kailua-Kona