“A wonderfull Hide-Away in the Middle of the Jungle!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hale Maluhia Country Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
“A wonderfull Hide-Away in the Middle of the Jungle!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We have spontanious booked this B&B and we absolutely loved it! It is a litte up the mountain in the rainforest, so not close to the beach, which didn't matter for us, especially not since the room was less then 100 $. The Room was pretty close to the Street, what made it a litte noisy, but not to much, when you're not too sensitive. The welcoming and openminded manner of everyone there was very pleasing, and the breakfast was breathtaking!
We did regrett that we only booked for 2 Days. We wouldt have liked to stay there much longer!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Hale Maluhia is ideally located a couple miles up the mountainside from Kona and offers easy access to beaches, touring, boating and fishing. Everything is convenient from here and at a very affordable price, especially considering the alternatives down in Kona. The small B&B is tucked away in the midst of lush Hawaiian greenery. Some room furnishings are in need of updating, but everything is clean and well maintained. Breakfasts are sumptuous (lots of native fruits, fresh baked bread, waffle batter and waffle-iron, ham and sausage, eggs etc.) and you can make your own western omelette in the spacious kitchen, which is always open. Perhaps the only drawback is the free-roaming chickens, and then only because first cockcrow comes at around 3:30 - 4:00 (but then he quiets down till 6:00 or so). Read the cancellation policy with care. Accommodations are definitely good value for the money. Highly recommended.
In case you ever dreamed of owning a B&B in idyllic surroundings, the place is also for sale. If I were 30 years younger . . .

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are larger, but lack kitchenette (fridge, sink, microwave), which is very...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Laohuang
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Last February my wife and I were looking for a unique place to retreat as family. We needed a gate-away desperately after seven years of intense ministry work. Hotels were out of question. We wanted a quiet Inn hidden somewhere up in the mountains that will accommodate our children too.

When I first saw Hale Maluhia (House of Peace) Kailua-Kona online, I was surprised to see that such a wonderful place exists in Kona. We've been to Grand Wailea Resort and Spa in Maui in 2009 and my assumption was that every Inn and Hotel in Hawaii will be high-end and filled with the noise and sophistications which we did not want at this time. We wanted a place that will provide us rest, nourishment, revelation, encounter, rediscovery, restoration and bonding as a family. After few months of comparing Hale Maluhia with other similar B&B in Hawaii, we decided to go for Hale Maluhia.

We flew down from Vancouver Canada on Friday, 20th July and landed at the Kona International Airport by 11:45pm. The car rental company we chose delayed us longer than anticipated. All these while, the owner of the facility Ken Smith was communicating with me via emails making sure we were ok! I had a comprehensive direction emailed to me, so it was very easy to locate the Inn. At 1:20am Saturday when we reached the Inn, Ken was still awake expecting us. Even with his poor health, he made sure we were comfortably settled in our room- the beautiful Jasmine Room. This initial encounter really touched us!

Later in the morning, we woke up to behold a beautiful garden- an Eden tucked in on-top of the highlands of Kona. The scenery was amazing. My kids immediately jumped off from their bed to the farm. They played with the rabbits, chicken, birds, turkey etc. I have never seen them enjoy nature this way. The ponds, the fish, the chipping of the insects all made this Inn a dream come though. As a family we could not have asked for more! The room was clean and spacious enough for a family of five. We played around the room all the time and enjoyed the ambiance of the facility.

We spent a week in Hale Mulahia, but that was the best week we have ever spent anywhere outside of our home. One unique but often ignored positives of Hale Maluhia is the overshadowing cloud of PEACE that imparts upon your soul once you settle down. As a family we have traveled a lot, but we have never experienced the kind of PEACE and calmness we experienced in Hale Maluhia. To confirm this, we left the Inn the following week and flew to Phoenix Arizona to attend a global conference holding in one of the five star hotels in the city. Frankly speaking, the stress I missed for the past week almost returned immediately.

If you are a couple looking for a unique a gate-away to refresh and nourish your relationship, then Hale Maluhia is the right place. We had many couples staying in other rooms within the facility that connected with us so easily making the whole environment look like a family reunion during the breakfast time. It is a good place for relationship restoration and rekindling of the flame of passion. The staff are the nicest people you can find in any B&B of this kind!

If you are a family seeking a place of bonding for the whole family, then be sure to visit Hale Maluhia. You will not only enjoy the atmosphere, but your children will feel at home with all the natural beauties that surround them. My kids had the privilege of seeing, touching and playing with several of the animals and plants they have only seen in books and Television. I walked them around the garden and showed them as much as I could and that really left a lasting impression in their hearts. They still talk about it today.

For first-time visitors, prepare yourself to enjoy nature at its raw form. You will fall in love with the smell of flowers, the purity of the air, the ambiance of the light at night, the chipping of the insects early in the morning, the sweet small whispers of the tiny night creatures, the cloud of PEACE and the breeze of rest.

Warning! This is not your typical Inn, this is a place of REST. Don't expect hotel maids knocking at your door and all the hustle and bustle of a typical hotel, B&B or Inn. Hale Maluhia is for those in search of PEACE, reconnection and restoration. If these are at the top of your list, then search no more.

My family and I will visit Hale Maluhia (House Of Peace) again and again!

Room Tip: If you can afford any of the stand alone rooms, go for it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DrGoddie U
Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

My girlfriend and I traveled to Kona for a couple days and booked the Jasmine Room. Neither one of us are very picky and it was just a place to sleep, so we weren't expecting anything too nice. The room was a bit outdated, which we knew from the pictures and also very dirty, which we could not tell from the pictures. We expected the damp jungle smell, so that was no surprise, but the room looked like it hadn't had a deep cleaning in years. Before someone from the inn replies and says we didn't notify them, it wasn't the kind of dirt they could just come clean up. It needs a few hours of scrubbing. The corners of the room, under the beds and behind furniture had a blanket of dust and dead bugs. It was a little disgusting at first, but once we got over the idea of the dirtiness the room was fairly enjoyable. It was nice to be up high in the trees and the frogs and birds made for great ambient noise at night.

On a more positive note, the staff was very friendly and helpful, although it was hard at time to tell exactly who worked there and who was a guest. The owners from the website were either out of town or hidden away somewhere, but there was a manager of sorts in place and some of the owner's grandchildren helping out (I think). The breakfast was great and the lanai was beautiful. If it wasn't for the dirtiness of the room, our stay would have been near perfect.

Room Tip: The Jasmine Room was quite dirty.
4 Thank Andy K
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2012
Mahalo for the free white glove inspection. After you left, we did our best and the guests after you who stayed for a week gave us a A+ (5) for clean. We did have to let a housekeeper go about that time who was not getting to the corners. It would have been better if you had showed us while you were here. But now our Jasmine Room is up to speed and we are working through the whole Inn just to make sure all is clean, clean, clean. Best Regards, Ken, owner
Trieste
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

My boyfriend and I slept here for only one night in July 2012, but we can say that the balance between quality and price is really high.
This b&b is not so easy to find because it is in the hill up Kailua-Kona, in the nature, so when you book, asking to the owner good information to reach it, but anyway our room was clean, enough elegant and confortable.
We fell asleep with the singing of the frogs and birds....fantastic melody.
The breakfast is so good with lots colored birds!
I advise all the travelers to stay here more than one nights!!!!!
Aloha!
Barbara and Luca (from Trieste - Italy)

Room Tip: check the photos of the rooms in their website: http://hawaii-bnb.com/
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

We live on Big Island and wanted to spend a romantic weekend away in Kailua-Kona - which we often like to do. The reviews for Hale Maluhia looked promising so we made a reservation and were excited about our stay. We were so disappointed when we arrived!

The property has a lot of potential, but it is really run down and in need of repairs, maintenance and general upkeep. The room was filthy - the floors had not been swept - there was hair (my hair is short and black - the hairs stuck to my shoe were long and blond!), dirt/dust, debris from the yard (one of the doors to the exterior did not fit in the frame and there was a large crack at the bottom), and gecko poop everywhere. We also shared the room with a nice large spider and its web. All of the furniture in the room was mismatched (not even in that nice antique way) and showed a lot of signs of wear and tear. The bathroom was just as bad - there was rust on all of the fixtures, soap scum in the tub, and iron oxidization all around the sink faucet and handles. The only toiletry provided was a bar of soap. The breakfast was also disappointing - each guest had to make their own omelettes and waffles. Granted, they provided the ingredients, but I have never had to cook my own breakfast at a B&B before - I mean, we can stay in our own home for that. :-) Plus, as a former public health professional, I had concerns about the food safety factor of having lots of random guests handling raw foods in the kitchen.

The redeeming aspects are that the staff are very friendly, and the front yard with a bird feeder and free-ranging chickens/turkeys provides a nice setting in which to have your morning coffee/tea. But, my husband and I both agree: we will never return to this property again and will not recommend it to friends or family.

To provide some context about who we are and our "standards" - my husband is an outdoorsy kind of person and loves to camp, hike, etc. He has certainly roughed it and does not mind dirt. However, when he stays at a B&B, he likes and expects "nice." So for him to be disappointed it means it's pretty bad. Me, I am a bit more high maintenance, but I need clean about all else: I can deal with old, ugly, etc. In the end, the total lack of cleanliness about the room was what really turned me off.

4 Thank Luo2
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Aloha Worst,
My deepest apologies. My name is Ken, I am the owner. I am 80 and had a small stroke several months ago and am just getting back into the action of overseeing the Inn. My manager Jason has had a heavy load and did the best he could. We have had housekeeping help issues with people we have tried out and dropped the ball. We would rather have had you tell us of your issues and fixed them while you were here or upgrade you to a better room at no cost to you. We do want our guests to be happy here. As to the Omelet bar we do advertise that it is a self service omelet bar and all the omelet food is cooked so should not be a problem. Most of our guests love the way we do our Breakfast Lovers Buffet and self service omelet bar with bird watching. We have two new housekeepers coming in July to help with the load. So this Inn will be gone through from top to bottom in the next week or so for clean. If this way again, come and inspect and if you like what we have done, we will give you two night free in our best room or cottage available. Your notes will be most helpful for us in resolving areas of need in our lovely Country Inn. By the way the Island furnishings in your room are high end Island bamboo Furnishings picked out by my mother in 1980. We call the room the Malia Room as the word means Mary, her name was Mary. The furnishings were very expensive at the time. Except for the desk and you are right, it needs to be replaced and it will be replaced this week for a high end desk with a computer drawer. Should look great in the room. Again, we are very sorry for your experience, would that you had allowed us to try to fix things while you were here. But we are fixing them now. Best Regards, Ken<><
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and were looking for a quiet getaway location but close to Kona. The location was perfect; half way up the mountain side in the coffee region, and not on a busy road, as other reviewers have said, and yet just a 5 minute drive into town. As for quiet - not at all! the wildlife here is phenomenally loud and a good pair of earplugs was a must for me! We spent 8 nights in the Malia Room which, to be honest, was a little disappointing. The furniture was somewhat dilapidated and creaked like it was about to fall apart. The bathroom was in urgent need of renovation. The tub/shower door was held together with duct tape, the window blind was broken and every metal fitting was badly corroded. There was no hairdryer. The door to the garden did not close properly and therefore did not lock but thankfully we didn't feel that security was an issue on the Big Island, so this wasn't a big problem for us.
This is the first place I've ever stayed where I had to ask to have my room made up. We had clean towels provided most days, but trash cans were not emptied and the bed was not made until we asked for it on day 3. The housekeeper seemed surprised that we should want her to make our bed. Even after this, it still wasn't made up every day.
On the up side, the breakfast lanai was really nice and relaxing. We spent some very pleasant evenings just sitting there talking with other guests too. The breakfast also, was excellent. There were fresh homemade breads every day, and homemade preserves and fresh fruit. Some days there were waffles and every day the ingredients were provided if you wanted to cook yourself a full hot breakfast. The fresh eggs from the resident chickens were delicious.
So would I stay here again? I loved the location and overall the place was very friendly but our room was disappointing. Maybe some of the other rooms are better. With renovation, this would be an amazing place and that is what it would take for me to choose this place again.

Room Tip: Don't choose the Malia room and bring earplugs.
1 Thank Christine F
, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Aloha, As to the housekeeper, she has been replaced. As to the farming community we live in we did make mention of that fact in our publicity. Our kind neighbor with the roosters has given us permission to relocate all of their roosters, have about 3 more to catch. They don't like them very much either. As to the bathroom, you are right, we will be replacing the metal fixtures this month. As to the door, It is being removed and replaced with a new wall this month as it is not needed. It was put in for my mother in 1980 as she was in a wheelchair as an emergency exit. As to the furnishings, they are top end Island bamboo faced Furnishing (except for the desk for which we are looking for a replacement,) beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Actually the duct tape next to the tub/shower door was to keep the termite dropping from coming out the bottom of the koa board onto the floor. The Shower Door is just fine. We had the Inn tented last month and now we will replace that koa board. Termites are a real problem in Hawaii. My you are so perceptive. If you would have mentioned all this to me we could have possible upgraded you for free to the our new Japanese Tea House. We really do want our guests to feel comfortable and at home here at Hale Maluhia Country Inn. Best Regards, Ken, owner