“Dirt N Buggs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
Gypsum, Colorado
“Dirt N Buggs”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The bait and switch was nice. The ground, kitchen, and common area were cute. But after being led to my room. My jaw dropped. I may has well set my tent up in the yard. Giant dead bug on the only shelf to put my stuff. Almost stepped through the soft spot in the floor entering the bug infested bathroom. Cob webs, spiders, ants (in the bed!) Come on! Dont insult me by folding the toilet paper. The walls are covered with mold, there rot everywhere. The roosters are cute but not at the 3am. But by 3am the creaky old bed that is practically a hammock has you so bumbed it dosnt matter. The breakfast is probably ok but I cant wait all morning for coffee. Breakfast starts after 8am. I dont want to sit around wasting the best part of the day waiting for a waffle. 40 years ago this place was probably killer! But its toast! Dont waste your money.

Room Tip: do not stay here. IT SUCKS
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank colt c
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Aloha Gypsum, Thanks for the kick in the butt. From your January stay we have now found two professional housekeepers. We have fixed the soft spot in the bath floor and replaced the bath floor with marble, We also replace the entry carpet with porcelain tile. And I am sure you would like to know that most of the wild roosters have been "relocated" and we are dealing with the frogs. As to our service of 100% pure Kona Coffee, it is always available on the breakfast lanai at about 7 AM. First thing we do before prepping for breakfast. Sorry that you did not know. Of course, any dirt and bugs are now gone as you can tell by our latest reviews. It would have been really nice if you had mentioned any of this while here as we usually give a free upgrade if there is any serious problem with a room. Some folks like a soft bed, some hard. We are able to stiffen up a bed if we know. And our Maile Room is still $87. including our full buffet and DIY omelet bar with bird watching. If you come our way again, mention the response and get an extra 10% off.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 January 2013

The place is old, very charming, but definitely not as clean as the Marriott. It's also very affordable for being a few miles from downtown Kona. The B&B stands on top of a hill with a view on the Ocean (not wide open, but you get "the feeling" of openness). Sheets are clean and so is the bathroom.
A box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts was waiting for me on my pillow (great treat after a whole day of Scuba diving).
The furnitures are old and the bed makes noises (at least in the room that I had which is the Pikaki Room). I slept well until the neighbors from upstairs woke up (read: noisy). On the other hand; you make your own omelette, the chickens that run on the property provide fresh eggs, there is home made bread, and you get lots of fresh local fruits (papaya, banana, pineapple). The place is run by Ken, who is 80+, and he gets help from families that stay on the property. If you are maniac...don't go there. If you like organic living and enjoy non-traditional experiences (like a little Inn in the South of France), go for it! I have had one of the most relaxing breakfast ever at Hale Maluhia. I would go back (Yes, I do tend to pick places to sleep with my stomach ;-)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank johnenvacances10
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Rooms here are musty, moldy, and tacky 1960's style. The breakfast isn't nearly as grand as the photos would lead you to believe. The promised hot tub was never heated. But the worst part of the place is that multiple chickens and turkeys run around all over the property leaving "droppings" everywhere.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank foodfreakSMA
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 19 January 2013
Yes, we are a little musty at 70% humidity in the beautiful Kona Coffee Country and we do keep our prices low by not buying new furnishings every year or so. And we don't keep the Hot Tub hot due to the high energy prices but we will turn it on when asked to at breakfast. And we do have a few untrained chickens but we are nearly bug free and the fresh brown, orange yoked, eggs are a hit with most of the Country Folks that come to us for a gentle touch of Hawaiian Aloha Comfort and Peace. We publish that we are a "County Inn" I was born on a farm in Kentucky and know what hospitality really is and that is what we try to provide. Some folks should stay with the antiseptic concrete boxes and pay the $200. + per night. The wild turkeys are a delight for most of the guests and personally, they do make a lot of extra work for us but I am really pleased that they find our Inn a place of peace for which it is named. And, oh yes, the rooms and the linens are always clean, and the beds, comfortable. Our rooms start at $87. for 2 people and include a full buffet breakfast and omelet bar with bird watching. For some, the glass is always 1/2 empty.... Ken Smith
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed at this B&B for two nights over Christmas and were delighted with our accommodations. We chose the Japanese cottage, which is more expensive than the other rooms but well worth the cost. Breakfast on Christmas morning was elaborate, and Sana delivered some lovely gifts the night before. Breakfast the second day did not meet our expectations, but overall we were very pleased with our stay. The owners are hospitable and let us leave our luggage after we checked out. The location is about 10 minutes drive from Kona. For people who do not care about staying on the ocean front. this is an excellent location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Richland, WA
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Who stays in their room on a vacation? This place is perfect for people who get out and go, want a filling, all you can eat breakfast, and don't care about luxurious accommodations. The room was slightly musty smelling, but is in a very humid area. In reality, the carpets should be replaced with tile or laminate to remove the mustiness. The property is pretty-could use some upkeep, but the owner is in his 80's. Someone could really make the place BEAUTIFUL if they put in the time. The breakfast was good. I am gluten intolerant and there were fruits, avocados, and of course the omelet bar with meats, cheeses and veggies. There was also a huge bread selection, fresh baked bread and store bought pastries. Yes, you have to make your own eggs if you want them, but it is clearly advertised and you could get by on the fruits and breads. The hot tub is nice, they have a grill and kitchenettes in the rooms as well as outdoor lanai's to eat at if you choose to cook dinner at the B and B. Overall, this was a decent place to stay with friendly staff members. My biggest complaint was the mattress. It was VERY soft and fairly uncomfortable-the place needs updating. Hopefully new mattresses would come with the update. Thanks for a fun stay!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank star152120
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here (unfortunately) for an extended period of time. I wasn't looking to book something this far down on the food chain of accommodation so it was more than disappointing.

Having paid for the whole stay I decided not to try to argue with the "professionals" running this place to leave when I had a good look around. I knew they wouldn't refund the costs and I had better things to do with my life than squabble with people who think dirty is just fine for their guests. You are treated like family here. The kind of family that thinks whatever they think is good enough for you is whatever you should be satisfied with. Whoop-de-doo.

I stayed and reminded myself every night when I could smell the mold and mildew in the dirty carpet before I closed my eyes that I had booked this dump. I had read the negative reviews, I had called Ken Smith (twice) in the week before I arrived to alert him to the fact that I am allergic to mold and mildew and he never called me back. There were lots of red flags on the field and I didn't give them the importance they deserved. The owner doesn't return phone calls from his future guests? Whoop-de-doo, check the negative review from others who haven't had him return their calls, warned about the mold and mildew.

I stayed in the Pikaki Room......which is not exactly like the photo on the website which shows a clean white fan.
-The commercial grade rug has no doubt been trod on by dozens of pairs of dirty feet. I wore my shoes inside the room because the carpet squished when I walked on it in bare feet. Carpet in the tropics? in the mountains where there is mold on every square inch of foliage? Tiles or something that can be washed so the bugs, mold and mildew don't have a party every night.
-Mold in the corner on the ceiling, if it's visible to the naked eye, it's a problem.
-No light bulbs in two of the 4 lights in the room, and while I brought this to the "Innkeeper"Jason's attention on Day 1, nothing was done. Too cheap to buy light bulbs for someone staying 3 weeks or is the electrical not up to code to handle 4 lights turned on at the same time?
-The television was at least 40 years old. The converter's button didn't all work. Changing a channel took 10 minutes, you had to hit 66 and then minus it until you reached the station you wanted. Told Jason about that on Day 1 - solution? I Nothing from him. I hit 66 A LOT.
-"Towels" that were rags. Holes, stains, unravelled edges, and one bath towel at a time, I wondered if the jail had better towels, but decided not to get myself arrested just to find out.
-Staff that is loosey, goosey and more of a religious commune than a professional B&B, young untrained people seem to arrive and leave. Some are housed in a tent like enclosure near the parking lot. One day I heard the sounds of a buzz law or something like that coming from the tent. It stopped suddenly and the sound of a young man yelling profanities filled the air. The sound of a woman weeping followed in the next seconds. Yup, real peaceful and yes everyone is really friendly. When your professional standards and lack of properly trained or enough staff, you gotta be friendly. I suspect they are used to being yelled at a lot.
-The day that I arrived I could hear a discussion about the calibre of ammunition and black powder taking place between two men in the main building near my room. I never left the screen door open after that. Yup, House of Peace and advice on bullets to boot, real peaceful. "You'll be fine if you bring enough black powder", was never in my mind when I decided to visit Hawaii.
-There was a rocking chair outside the Pikaki room, another light without a bulb (just in case you wanted to read out there) near the dirty outside carpet but lots of electrical stuff plugged in beside it. Oh yeah, and that fire extinguisher hung on the wall beside the electrical outlet stuffed with stuff had an out of date tag (2009/2010/2011) wasn't surprising, but the building is wooden so it's just the usual "close but no cigar" attitude.
-The leaf blower was noisy and used early in the morning just about every day on the driveway......the cobwebs on the side of the building near the doorway of the Pikaki room could have been taken out with that device. They weren't.
-The downright FILTHY air fan and heater that were left on the counter of the kitchenette were downright insulting. That anyone would expect me to turn either one of these filthy appliances on and blow even more mold and dirt into the air is unforgivable. I moved them into the cupboards because I was ready to toss my cookies when I looked at them. I've never seen anything so dirty in any kind of accommodations that I've stayed in during the last 30 years.
-The venetian blinds covering the window haven't been washed since Pearl Harbour was attacked. A thick cover of mold and dirt covers them near the sliding glass window opening.
-The "kitchenette" didn't have a glass, or any type of kitchen implements other than a butter knife. I went out and bought plastic glasses and bought chickens that didn't need to be cut up and ate out.
-The daddy long leg spiders hung out under the microwave and laid eggs on the kitchen counter. I found one inside my clothing in one of the drawers. I went to the laundromat, washed everything I owned just before I left and moved my clothing to my suitcase.

I would have given this place it a terrible review but the internet worked all the time, nothing was stolen from my room and there was hot water and pressure in the bathroom. The bathroom had a hole in the wall and water had obviously gotten under the linoleum, there was a ratty curtain covering the area under the sink but at there was water and it was hot. Whoope-de-doo.

In short this was the dirtiest, cruddiest and excuse ridden place that I've ever stayed at in 30 years of globe trotting. After a few days it got depressing and I spent as little time there as possible except to sleep and counted down the days until I left.

I've stayed in B&Bs high in the Andes near Cuzco that were 50 times cleaner than this one.

I've stayed in B&B in Hawaii that were cheaper than this one and 1,000 times better.

I reminded myself many times that if I was staying there, it was my own fault. I had read the negative reviews on Trip Advisor but made a reservation anyway. Ken Smith failed to return 2 phone messages that I left before I arrived. I had misgivings about staying here but didn't pay attention to them because of the many glowing positive reviews. My mistake and it won't happen again.

I really enjoyed my drive down the mountain to the airport on the day I left. It was the best part of my stay there.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a B&B somewhere else, anywhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Sunset_Sailor
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
This hermit guest stayed with us for 26 nights and gave us absolute instructions not to go into her room. She kept it closed up most of the time. Normally, with daily housekeeping we take out the trash, replace used towels, make the bed and clean and spray down hard surfaces with Lysol to restrict the mildew of our Kona Coffee Country. Just prior to this guest’s stay we had a professional and objective yearly Inn inspection by Hawaii Island Bed & Breakfast Association and the only issue that came to the surface was that we needed to update our fire extinguisher. During her stay I passed her many times and asked her if all was OK and she affirmed that it was, every time? I had given her a 20% discount on her longer stay and so her daily cost, including a full buffet breakfast with omelet bar each morning was only $81. per day even during the Kona Iron Man Triathlon. As to my conversation with my son Jonathan, a 100% disabled Marine Sgt. vet. we often talk up in my office concerning what he knows and likes to talk about including black gun powder. Personally, the last time I used black gun powder was in 1947 when in high school. As to being a Christian, yes I do try to walk the Jesus Way but I never violate anyone’s personal right of choice for their own way. As to the profanities, neighbors? if I had been aware, it would not have continued but I never yell at anyone about any thing and neither does Jason. We do live in a “House of Peace.” The carpet is now due for cleaning and will be professionally steam cleaned. As to the TV, I did not know that it was not working properly and will be replaced. Actually, I would have been very happy to help make this guest more comfortable if she had talked to me on any one of the many times that we passed during the 26 days she was our guest. As to the phone messages ??? Ken Smith, owner
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The room was dirty. The bathtub was full of dead bugs. The owner's daughter made snotty comments behind my back when she didn't think I could hear. We had to cook our own breakfast, and then when everyone was done, the owner pulled out the "good" stuff out and made himself a beautiful breakfast that was not made available to the guests. Coffee was not available when promised and kept running out. We had to go ask them to make more. The room was not secure, faulty door locks. There was no soap in the bathroom. It had a nice atmosphere, but had a musty smell. If you plan on getting any sleep, be sure to bring ear plugs. No peace at night, all the night critters get pretty loud.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dd1456
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
First off, not sure you have the right Inn as I do not have a daughter working at the Inn and when I do eat breakfast is is usually what is left on the buffet. If it was our Inn, we do publish everywhere that it is a DIY Omelet bar, Buffet with bird watching? As to the "Owner" me pulling out the "good stuff" everything we have is served on the Buffet. As to the Coffee? We have two 12 cup coffee makers that we keep going, could have happened, but don't see how??? Faulty door lock, which room? We did replace the lock on the sliding glass door some time ago as it was brought to our attention? Soap in bathroom, could happen, easy fix? Musty smell, Hawaii, 80% humidity. As to dirty, we just had an HIBBA objective inspection and passed without a hitch. A few bugs in the tub, could happen, Hawaii is the bug capital of the world. Tub full of bugs, you got to be kidding! Don't know what to do with the "Snotty" daughter comments, daughters not here. As to the Coqui frogs, they are also noted in our publicity, courtesy of Puerto Rico, not our choice, comes with the beauty of Hawaii. We do have comp. ear plugs at the front desk for those who ask.