“would not stay again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
chicago, il
“would not stay again”
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I wish we could give the accommodation a better review, because the owners are both very lovely people and the breakfast, complete with make-your-own-omelette station and fresh fruits, was delicious. The view from the breakfast lanai was also beautiful, and the property was lovely and wooded.

However, the room that we stayed in, the Maile room, was gross. The industrial carpet was worn in places, the room was overly humid and musty, the furniture looked very old, the bedding uncomfortable.

We were greeted by a wolf spider on the wall when we entered (which promptly hid somewhere, we had no idea where, before we could remove it - which freaked us out before going to bed) and a large centipede by the bathroom when we awoke.

The bathroom was pretty clean and the water pressure was okay, so that made the morning better. But we were glad to be heading out the next morning and very glad we only stayed there for a night on our arrival. The price was cheap, which is good, but I think next time I'll pay more and stay elsewhere.

I feel guilty writing this because the owners were so nice, but I have to be honest about how I feel. If you're okay with feeling like you're camping or staying in a rustic, unrenovated cabin, then this place would be fine - because the owners are great and the breakfast was tasty. I think the place was just a poor fit for us.

• Liked — very nice owners
  • Disliked — insects, not feeling very clean
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank leif_erikson
Pilgrim7, owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2008
We are a COUNTY INN !
As some of our guests do not like bug spays and we do live in a very beautiful Hawaiian Country Oasis. We do have a little excitement for city slicker's from time to time with bugs.
We do have range chickens who mostly turn the bugs into eggs. And we have harmless wolf spiders and gecko's to help us as well. but about once or twice a year a centipede evades or chickens and decides it is nice inside and invites himself into a room as the door is left open or such. This guest must have had some serious aloha. They took a nice picture of their hunting expedition.

Also we were about to change the carpeting in the room and spruce it up. We are really sorry that we did not have it done prior to this up-town guest booking for a night. Of course a double full breakfast buffet with a queen bed, private bath, cable, broadband and private entry for $85. is not too high on the hog for Kailua-Kona. If they come back, we will give them a free night... Ken Smith, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I was very comfortable during my stay at Hale Maluhia. Ken and Sue were wonderful hosts. I found it very relaxing to just hang around and enjoy the ambience. The Kona coffee early with a breakfast that was delicious with all the choices of fruit, cereal, homemade breads made my stay very enjoyable. In addition, I was able to cook my own breakfast with ham, eggs and any vegetable condiments I wanted.

I am a value concious traveler and Hale Maluhia was an outstanding value. I stayed at Hale Maluhia two different times over my 2 week plus stay for multiple nights in two different rooms. The rooms were very comfortable and internet access was excellent.

It is centrally located and I bicycled in and out at times during my stay. It is downhill to Kona and the climb back is not trivial but certainly doable. My wife and I are planning another trip to the Big Island in the next 6 months (I was alone this time) and will definitely stay here again.

• Liked — location, hosts, breakfast
  • Disliked — didn't have any dislikes
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank bikin99
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 26 April 2008

From the start (booking), everything was wonderful here! Ken spoke with me on the phone, answered my questions, and sent out a great detailed email with directions from the airport. He also included in the email information on the island.

I was just a little worried about the size of the room, you can never tell from pictures. Well we were pleasently suprised! Our room (the Makua room) was nice, large and the King bed VERY comfortable. (We even slept for 12 hours straight on the second night!)

The breakfast's were wonderful, loved the fresh fruit and sitting on the lanai looking out over the yard with lots of birds, chickens and baby chicks.

They also provided us with an area to store our bags on our departure day while we were out sightseeing all day due to our late night departure. It was nice to be able to come "home" and change our clothes before the flight home after a day of sightseeing. We would definately stay here again!

Bret & Lisa
Omaha, NE

• Liked — The location and surroundings
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Mannheim
Reviewed 16 April 2008

Thank you very much for the wonderful time we were allowed to spend at Hale Maluhia. To begin with: the breakfast was abundant including delicous daily home baked bread, eggs from chickens running around on the yard, various fruits beautifully arranged and decorated with flowers. When having breakfast on the terrace in the midst of a beautiful nature, you can watch colorful birds, wild turkeys and chicken visiting. Ken and Sue and their staff are very warm hearted and attentive providing us with lots of valuable hints for excursions.
Wherever you are on the ground of Hale Maluhia, you feel the love and care with which the place has been built and is looked after. The rooms and bathrooms are generous and nicely furnitured.
We can highly recommend the place and look forward to our next holiday in Hawaii which we surely would spend again at Hale Maluhia.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 13 March 2008

We were doing some last minute planning for a Hawaii vacation an picked this B&B on a lark (just some basic web browsing).

I must say that I couldn't have been happier.

The owner (ken) was extremely nice and gave us a nice discount while at the same time accommodating our last minute booking!

The on site help (two younger couples) were extremely nice, knowledgeable and informative.

The daily breakfast included coffee cake, local fruit (i.e. pineapple, mango, etc) and there were always fresh eggs (that you could cook yourself). Good stuff - not just your continental breakfast with stale bagels.

My wife and I used it as a launching point for our R&R and it really made our stay enjoyable.

There are some birds in the area (turkeys on an adjacent property and roosters on site) so be aware of this; these bird noises made it all the more quaint and charming to wake up to (we have lived in urban areas all of our lives) for us, but I know that other people may not find this endearing.

Definitely recommend this B&B!

• Liked — Simple, but nice
  • Disliked — Wireless internet was iromised to work, but it was intermittent in my room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 2 March 2008

We needed a place to stay for a couple of nights on the end of a longer stay. We looked for a place near but not in the heart of Kailua. We got very lucky and Ken and Sue had a room for two of the three nights we needed.

If you haven't been to Kona, and looking at the map it would appear that the location would put this Inn in a much more crowded location than it is. While you can see houses all around the property, they have done a great job in isolating and making a wonderful relaxing atmosphere.

They have one of the best breakfast spreads I've seen, lots of fresh fruit, breads, and fixings if you want to make your own eggs/ omelets. Plenty of juice and coffee. The lanai to eat on has a nice view and several bird feeders to bring in local birds to watch. Where normally we grab something to eat and head out, we found ourselves taking time and talking a lot with other guests.

The rooms were very clean, there was plenty of parking, and the location is only about 10 minutes from downtown with it's shopping and restaurants.

I definitely recommend it and plan on staying when I come back.

• Liked — great lanai for breakfast - very relaxing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scott-in-Alaska
CA
Reviewed 21 February 2008

I loved this place. The setting is quite beautiful and the attention to detail is wonderful. The owners are extremely helpful, kind and generous.

I stayed in two different rooms: the Pitaki room which had a small kitchenette which was very nice. The Banyan Cottage is exquisite. It is a very large studio with a king bed set aside and behind curtains which I used while my friend watched TV and used his computer. The bathroom had a jacuzzi tub and a dolphin tiled shower.

WIFI throughout the entire grounds. They also have chickens and wild turkeys and wonderful birds come to their bird feeder.

The breakfast was large and varied and Ken's homemade bread was an extra treat.

I highly recommend this inn.

Pamela Galadrial