“Fantastic country inn experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Hale Maluhia Country Inn
Ranked #5 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
“Fantastic country inn experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

For the price, this is an unbeatable Hawaii country bed and breakfast experience. It is located on a beautiful, winding mountain road only a 10 minute drive from the beach and downtown Kona and a 20 minute drive from the airport. The quality of the rooms was reflective of the very affordable budget (less than excellent shower, loud ceiling fan, no travel toiletries, worn down carpet, etc.), but the room was very clean and neat. The atmosphere was incredible and the overall stay was very satisfactory. Chickens and turkeys roam the property and you are lulled to sleep by the gentle sound of mountain wind and Hawaiian wildlife. The do-it-yourself breakfast was great and the staff was very friendly/accommodating. Definitely recommended to travelers working on a budget and seeking a rustic, beautiful, serene Hawaiian experience.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Ryan J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was a lone traveler and it was my first time in Hawaii. Sarah at the House of Peace kindly picked me up from the airport and made me feel like I was being met by a good friend. The guys were great and really welcoming too. They even allowed me to join in with their morning get together where we had a bible reading and sharing, and I was given a lovely gift. The surrounds are so natural and plants and trees are everywhere. It's a really healing environment. Sarah and Rachel took me to the beach which was above an beyond anything they needed to do, and Sarah dropped me off at my next destination after two nights. I felt I was with real friends that I'd known for ages, the place really is aptly named as the house of peace, the nature and wildlife are free range around the place and watching the birds on the feeder was special. Breakfast was delicious with lots of fresh produce, fruit and other choices. The tables were laid with flowers. Coming from a long journey from the UK and still stressed with work, the House of Peace was an amazingly healing experience. Love and nature infuse the place - I can't recommend my stay more highly, thank you - and I'll hopefully return in Feb15! Veronica

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms as i booked late and the first room I was in was booked out. I found...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for about a week in the Tea House. It's close enough to town to be convenient but far enough away that you really get to enjoy the tranquil island nights. The staff was all very friendly and helpful. The Tea House has a private bath with a rainfall type shower and separate tub. It was all marble and just beautiful. If you're looking for accommodations that feel more authentic to island life, this is it. That being said, if you're the type to get freaked out by a stray gecko on your wall then you might want to look into those sterile, boring, over priced hotels nearer to the dock. Great experience. We absolutely plan to stay here on our next trip to the Big Island!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the privacy of the Tea House. It has it's own bathroom and parking area.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeeRams
Ithaca NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Hale Maluhia is an eclectic group of Japanese style buildings interspersed with extensive lightly-shaded rock constructions and small pools, most of which filled with water hyacinth, and waterfalls, plus numerous pieces of cast-iron garden furniture and oriental knick-knacks. The entire area had a light dusting of delightful, small, dry, golden leaves creating an almost ethereal presence, fitting the name House of Peace. The location, way up a hill on the mountain side of the highway, was excellent for the airport and Kailua. Some previous TripAdvisor comments complained about the surrounding small road, but we found it no problem; the establishment was very quiet and peaceful (despite a couple of arguing dogs in the distance at night). Our room, the Jasmine room, was in the roof of one of the buildings, with a slanting roof and dormer arrangement, but it was sufficiently tall for us even though we are over 6 feet in height. We chose this room because the two queen beds enabled to my wife and I to stay with our adult daughter who was traveling with us. The self-service breakfast was excellent with fruit, breads, pastries, and make-yourself waffles and omelets with lots of fresh ingredients such as red peppers mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, ham and cheese. The breakfast was eaten at communal tables on a very pleasant, airy lanai overlooking a small lawn with numerous birds, chickens and a turkey at a feeder on the other side. Following breakfast on the one day Jason (the manager) gave a delightful piano recital in the living room backing up the lanai. So why have I given this only four and not five stars even though we enjoyed our stay? The reasons 1) We found that the lights did not come on immediately when we returned after dark, resulting in our stumbling on the steps and surrounding edges before the lights were triggered by the motion detection system. 2) There was a gap between the shower and vanity in our bathroom that had accumulated quite a lot of dirt and had not been cleaned for a long time; while it was too narrow for a vacuum hose, this could have easily been done by a cloth on a broomstick. 3) My daughter had to depart at 7am and Jason had said that he would put out some fruit for her, but no fruit was available when she left. So overall an interesting and pleasant place to stay, but I hope that the management can pay attention to these little failings.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gibberellin
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Aloha Gibberellin,
We want to thank you for your really great support for our Inn. As to your constructive comments 1) As per your suggestion we have purchased a new sensor light that will be more immediate. 2.) The small gap between the shower and cabinet has been thoroughly cleaned. 3.) Now 3 is the difficult one as my manager is getting married in June and stuff does seem to fall between the cracks like the special 7 am early breakfast. But he will be bringing his bride home in June and I expect that things like this will no longer be an issue. Next time you are here please get a hold of me if there are any issues and we will address them very quickly. We do so want all of our guests to feel very comfortable and at home in our lovely Inn. Again, thank you for helping us keep our Inn snubbed up to a professional quality. Aloha and Mahalo, Ken<><, owner
Olean, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We would highly recommend this bed & breakfast to anyone who wants a very restful and peaceful time. The atmosphere was very tranquil and relaxing. The staff was very helpful and super. The morning Bible Studies that were offered to the staff and for those who wanted to attend were uplifting to the soul. If you are looking for something for body and soul make your way to this secluded spot in Paradise! Ron & Diane

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron F
Kiel, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We stayed only one night, but this was a very nice night. We booked the Banyan Cottage for 5 adults and a baby, but were 6 adults and one baby in the end, because one flight got rescheduled. It was no problem to bring an additional person, and we were welcommed very nicely. Although the cottage was quite tight for so many persons (this was suggested to us beforehand, so we were prepared), it was totally fine for this one night. Four persons would fit very nicely into this room. They brought us also an extra bed and blankets for the baby which was very nice. The breakfast is also very nice with a very pretty outside seating area. Would totally stay at this place for a longer time. The location is okay (nice view). Not very central, but no problem with a car.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Schnelmi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We actually stayed in April 2012 for a wedding but TripAdvisor won't let me review that far back so I've put April 2013!

Anyhow, we had the Japanese style hut which was breathtaking. We had a lovely bathroom ensuite with a bath, and the walls and doors were stunning.

By far the most amazing part of this place is the breakfast. You just help yourself to the piles of ingredients for omlette and make it yourself, or use the Belgian waffle maker. There's also loads of exotic fruits, cheeses, meats and so on.

The fresh Kona coffee is fantastic and eating and drinking on the terrace surrounded by chickens, turkeys, geckos, birds and more is a brilliant experience!

We were made very welcome and the owner Ken even gave us a couple of lifts down into town and showed us around on our first day.

Sorry it's taken so long to review - we'd love to go back - shame it's so far from the UK!

Room Tip: The Japanese cottage!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple