My son and I were very excited about the description of Hale Maluhia. It sounded like there were expandsive, private grounds and rustic cottages under the trees. Clever picture taking can make one believe anything! While this inn was not awful by any means, it was a disappointment. First it was not very private. The grounds were actually quite small, tucked in a bend in the road and we heard traffic noise as cars manuvered the steep turns. We stayed in the Banyan Cottage, the largest of the offerings. It had a nice "big room" floor plan that felt a bit like a nice, rustic cabin with eclectic furnishings. However the bed was very, very hard and uncomfortable. We had no hot water the first night, and barely an apology for that lack. "The wind blew it out." The owner did tell us how to relight the water heater if it went out again! When we took showers the smell of the gas from the water heater came in the bathroom window and was really unplesant...probably unhealthy too. There was no hot plate or way to cook, except an electric skillet and a rice cooker. So meal preparation was difficult except for sandwiches or something very simple. The toilet was very old, very green and very uncomfortable. Yes, I know, that sounds weird but these things can make a difference.
Then there was the noise of a very loud belt sander coming in our window at about 7 am. Later when I tried to nicely ask what that was all about, since it was supposed to be quiet, I again didn't receive any apology but a comment that they were doing some construction. At 7am in a B & B? I don't think so. They also keep chickens and the roosters also greeted the dawn with enthusiasm.
I had been really looking forward to this place but was instead glad to leave. It's too bad, since it has some charm, but at these prices I wouldn't recommend Hale Maluhia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a Virtual Kona Coffee Plantation of five rooms and two cottages in country comfort. Exceptional Breakfast Lovers Buffet and DIY omelet bar, fresh fruit, fresh bread baked daily, pure Kona coffee and bird watching. Relax to sage advice, friendly prices, broadband wireless, good beds, private baths and a gentle touch of aloha from old Hawai'i along the road less traveled. Just 3 miles south of Kailua-Kona and 11 miles south of the Kona International Airport (KOA). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Hale Maluhia Country Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hale Maluhia Country Inn (House Of Peace) Kona Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Country Inn Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Country Inn
- Hale Maluhia Country Inn Hawaii/Kailua-Kona