“Great location, just renovated - very nice rooms”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Sparks, Nevada
“Great location, just renovated - very nice rooms”
Reviewed 25 May 2011

There's a special place in my heart for the King Kam. The location was the best out of all the hotels we saw, it's right on the dock that a lot of the snorkeling and parasailing companies use and right on the ocean. The hotel was still being renovated so the shopping area downstairs wasn't done yet, but I didn't go to Hawaii to shop anyway. The rooms were immaculate and the bathrooms were very nicely done. I would definitely go out of my way to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank davidkephart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (759)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2011

My stay here was good. In Kona this hotel is probably one of the better options. In general, this hotel tries to be a little too much like a Hilton or Marriott than King Kamehameha.

In my prime example, the place charges $10 for parking. Kailua-Kona is barely a city and to charge for parking just seems outrageous. Let alone $10 a night.

If you must stay in Kailua-Kona, this hotel will get you a good night sleep with a good room. Ocean view is not worth it as you see more of a harbour than an ocean view. So just take a generally room.

If you are just staying on the big island east coast... go for Waikoloa or the Kohala Coast. This is a much better area for beaches and still can reach Kailua-Kona via car.

3 Thank Edward M
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights to try to see the Volcano. Weather cancelled our helicopter tour so we explored the local area & West side of the island. Kona is the place to be, a little something for everyone. We booked the Aloha package with Breakfast and it was definitely worth it. The Bfast was good food and friendly wait staff. The concierge was extremely helpful, assisted us with all of our needs from good local dining spots to tours. They were doing some construction on the lobby level due to the tsunami damage, but we never heard a peep in our room or at the pool either day or night. The staff is friendly as can be. The location is excellent also, right next to an actual sandy beach (most of the island is lava rock, so sand is actually not plentiful), and plenty of shopping/dining options nearby. We will definitely stay here again when we come back to the big island.

1 Thank jayll135
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This hotel was in a nice location, with many shops and restaurants in walking distance. It is also close to Hwy 11, which you can take to go visit other locations on the island if you have a car. They do charge $10 per day parking, but I'm sure most hotels in Kona do as well. Rooms were clean and offered nice views, although it was slightly noisy from the road traffic in the east tower. Their breakfast buffet was $15 per person, and just average. Their menu indicated more items would be available then were actually was so it ended up being typical breakfast items like eggs, fruit, cereal, potatoes, pastries, etc. Good, but nothing really special. The beach was pretty small, but I understand part of that was due to the recent tsunami which did some damage to the hotel. Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are in the Kona area.

2 Thank LoveToTravel4283
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed 13 May 2011

The room & pool were great, 1st floor is under construction, or at least boarded up, lady at the desk evan discouraged going to the luau, felt like there should have been a larger discount for the shape of the hotel, breakfest was not bad, they will do your eggs the way you like them & i had wheat toast every day.

2 Thank soonertravaler
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 May 2011

ok let me start by saying I picked this hotel because of the location to town and the beautiful beach in its backyard to snorkel in. However the wave hit it really hard and the beach is totaled--no sand , looks horrible. I would definatly wait until the fixed everything--because otherwise its a real bust--
the hotel bar food is fairly good though. the pool is nice. They throw a luau there and its on the grass now since the diaster --so I could see in from my room balcony--and its definatly nothing special and not worth the money. I also went to the luau and the sheraton and that was not thrilling either but a bit better--honolulu ones are way better.
Bubba gump shrimp was a really cool and reasonable place to eat.

The only major problem I had was in the room--looked clean andwas a decent size
but the first night we were there I happened to open my eyes at midnight and see a big bug crawl right over the bedside clock--Now if your like my husband this would not have bothered you --but me I hate bugs, so i jumped out of bed to try and kill it--with no luck--I called the front desk to see if they could send housekeeping with bug spray--and they sent a secutity gard to kill what I suspect was a cockroach--anyhow he had no luck also. So I asked if I could switch rooms and he called the front desk and they said fine--I asked if I could possibly leave my luggage until the morning since it was already unpacked--they said no--I thought this was bad customer service on their part but what could I do (next time I will buy travel insurace) so here I am waking up my family to move rooms in their pajamas and help pack all the stuff--and to make matters worse the only moved us 2 rooms down--not really what I would have wanted -but again took what I got.

SO anyway I thought I would let you know--my husband says people dont change over those kind of things and I am was being difficult--me I think it was gross and they should have been nicer--
You decide

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Reviewed 7 May 2011

The hotel is in what I would term downtown Kona and is relatively close to grocery stores and a Walmart, which is helpful for people traveling with families or on a budget. The biggest highlight of the location is that it's on the beach. The beach isn't huge or anything, but it's nice.

The hotel itself seems to be in good condition. The exterior doesn't set it apart from anything else, but inside it looked really nice. The decorations are all contemporary in style and seemed to be new. We were there right after the tsunami, so the lobby was being refurbished. Our room was unaffected by that, though. We had a room that faced the city (right over the front of the hotel). It had a balcony, two beds, a desk, and a dresser. There was a mini-fridge, but no microwave, which was a bit of a disappointment. The Internet connection, which is included in the price of the room (a huge rarity anywhere in Hawaii), worked for us.

The problem with the hotel is that it is very expensive. Even with using Hotwire, this cost us about as much as staying on Waikiki. I will admit, though, that it doesn't feel like a total rip-off. The beach access, included Internet, and parking (it's not valet parking, though) that only costs $10.00 a night go a long way to making you feel like you're not being taken for a ride financially.

All in all, I wish there was a way to rate half-stars here on TripAdvisor. This hotel is probably somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars, the hit on the rating coming because of the expensiveness of the hotel in a place like Kona that is really a little off the beaten path. It was a decent experience, though, and I would probably recommend staying there.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!