We had not been to Kailua-Kona in many years and decided to stay here because our values seemed higher here, than what we could get out of town at a resort. B/C my husband likes views I splurged on an oceanside room. Our stay was for three nights: Tue., Wed., and Thur. The entrance to the hotel is inviting and well kept. It's also right in town, which is very convenient for shopping and sightseeing on foot. We were assigned a room on the third floor in the East Tower facing the ocean and the pier. The room was adequate with a king sized bed and small fridge in the room.
However, that evening, as we attempted to enjoy our lanai seating, the lights on the pier directly shown into our room completely dispelling any enjoyment we might have had the opportunity to enjoy. Huge floodlights are temporarily installed on the pier when the cruise ships harbor in Kailua-Kona. The cruise ships are not there every night; on those nights the flood lights come down. However, we did not know this at the time. My other complaint with the ocean room in the East tower on the third floor, was that because we were near the pier and the public restrooms, I could almost make out the faces of those individuals in that area. I felt the room lacked a bit of privacy in this respect.
Needless to say the next morning, I went down to the front desk and requested a different room. We were offered a room on the 5th floor in the West tower. This time, we decided to take a look first before we just accepted what they gave us. In the future, I may decide to inspect the room before I just take the first room I am given. Given that I am not familiar with how hotels run, this may not always be possible if the hotel is full, but it does not hurt to ask.
The room on the fifth floor in the West tower was a far cry from our room on the third floor. It was a corner unit and offerd a bit of extra space. It was close to the marsh and a secondary road. Yes, their was a bit of noise from the air conditioning unit below and the room contained two queen size beds instead of one king, but the view was so much better. It overlooked the finely manicured lawn, and the sounds of the luau might be a little more noticeable on this side, but since the luau would not be held for the remainder of our stay, we decided to go ahead and take the room. When we went down to confirm our decision, we happily found out that the room would not run us any additional expense.
From a female perspective, I would like to see a full length mirror, and a small mirror that could be attached to the main mirror in the bathroom, for close applications of makeup. Or perhaps I should just carry my own small mirror for makeup application!
We enjoyed the food at the pool and in the restaurant, and the service was fine. The pool hours were fine. The free Wi-fi was fast enough for my husband's preferences. The parking fee of $10 a day is reasonable. As reported in earlier reviews of this hotel, the remodeling and updating they accomplished in the hotel is stunning, after the effects of the Tsunami which occured there in March 2011. The historic compilation of art and commentary of King Kamehameha, throughout the hotel, honors the lives of the Hawaiian race. As does, the life-size replica of an outrigger canoe in one of the foyers, to the courage of these people so long ago.
We would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel! Our Kona, Hawaii hotel's lobby and restaurants were newly renovated in 2011 and all of our 452 rooms have been upgraded to feature complimentary high speed Internet access, private balconies, mini refrigerators, coffee makers with complimentary Kona Coffee, 37' color flat screen TVs, and complimentary in-room safes. You will experience a brand new kind of hotel when you stay with us and delight in our accommodations from the moment you step into our new lobby. You will also find completely renovated corridors, a refreshed business center, and newly designed meeting rooms, outdoor swimming pool, whirlpool, and fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Marriott, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard By Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona