“Solid home base for exploring. ”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Solid home base for exploring. ”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

The Courtyard served its purpose well. Even though it's beach and pool leave a bit to be desired, it was an excellent value. This isn't really set up for a resort experience where you don't leave the property, but it has everything you need in a destination hotel. I enjoyed my stay and found the location to be perfect for my needs. I will stay at the Courtyard again on my next visit.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank The_Grrrrr
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do agree that we offer the best value for the best location in Kona. We look forward to having you with us again in the future. Mahalo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pasco, Washington
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is such an amazing hotel! The lobby has a museum of Herb Kane's beautiful paintings, depicting the history of Hawaiian people. Very clean and the service was excellent! There is also a beach shack right in front of the hotel where we rented Kayaks and Standup Paddleboards. SO convenient!! We were very impressed with the Kona Boys Shack and all their attentiveness to our family. WE WILL be coming back!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the South end face the beach and its breath taking!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer C
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. We greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to express your impressions with us. We are so pleased to learn that you had a very nice time while staying with us and that our location was convenient for you. All of us here are looking forward to your return to the islands. Mahalo
Northern Cal
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights for a conference. Staff was friendly. Room was adequate with comfortable bed. The air conditioning in room was not working well, but kept the room temp in mid-70's; could not get temperature to go lower. Bathrooms are small with typical Courtyard amenities. My East wing room did not have a good view, but there are some rooms with ocean view. Gym was adequate with a few treadmill, ellipticals, free weights. Nice swimming pool with jacuzzi. There are many small shops in the hotel. There is a small beach and Luau court at the hotel. Kona Boys at the beach has kayak or surfboard rentals. Close walk to restaurants. Parking is expensive. Took airport shuttle from and to KOA (<$25 each way).

Room Tip: See if you can get an ocean view. Acai with fruit icee offered at art gallery for $10 is very good...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
hong kong
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel has excellent service. I arrived from a long international flight and needed a "blackout" room where there was no light so I could sleep during the day: no problem.

You could not get a better location in Kong. Many delightful little cafes and restaurants within walking distance. The "Fish Hopper" around the block is really good and has a great view of the ocean.

My only complaint is I could not get the room cool enough, but they may have been my fault…just could not get the thermostat to obey me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank twodoggzz
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I understand that this hotel has recently been renovated following it becoming a Courtyard Marriott hotel. Initially may I say that all the members of staff seemed to go that extra step to make all visitors and guests welcome. That made our initial arrival go well after such a long journey.
The bedrooms were spacious, very clean and attention was paid to the minutest detail. Neither ourselves nor our daughter could find fault save that perhaps not enough coffee/milk/tea was provided. This is a small point to bear in mind but which should not detract from overall Impressions.
Some of the bedroom furniture and that to the hotel generally seemed to predate the renovation but this is again only a minor criticism.
The restaurant/breakfast room was efficiently staffed although it was felt that the price of the buffet breakfast at some 21.68dollars was a bit on the high side. That said the food was good and it must be borne in mind that Kona, (The Big Island) isn't a cheap place to live or holiday!!
At first glace the pool area was small compared to the size of the hotel and sunbeds limited. However, we did not encounter any particular difficulty and could always find a spot. That said this is the rainy season!! However this can be countermanded by stating that the Hotel is on the beach with immediate access to the Pacific Ocean, which in the harbour, was warmer than the hotel pool!
Did not have a car but discovered FREE parking on one or two carparks in town.
The event we attended (family wedding) was not at the hotel and as a consequence no comment can be made as to whether the hotel could cope but I rather suspect that all in all it would and without difficulty.

Room Tip: If you can secure rooms with a westerly view do so although I suspect that they may be at a premium...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnF186411
Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 November 2013

You can't do better than this location. It has its own little beach, and it's within walking distance of many restaurants and shops in quaint Kailua-Kona village. Chain stores and restaurants are just a short drive away. The parking ($12 per day) is high, but there aren't many parking options in this area. Otherwise, you get good value for money here. My room was good-sized, and the cable TV selections, including TCM, were excellent. Unusual for a hotel, there are historical and art exhibits in the expansive lobby area, which add a lot of atmosphere. I basically had to choose whether I wanted to stay at this hotel or at one of the resorts. I did visit the resorts in Kohala (where there is some nice shopping) and Keauhou, and I'm glad I stayed in Kailua-Kona, which is more of a real town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ReMars
General_Manager03, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Aloha,
Thank you so much for sharing your review. We are thrilled that you chose to stay at the Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel and happy that you enjoyed your stay. It is always wonderful to hear from our guests and learn that our location, amenities and accommodations all fully met their needs. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Mahalo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Perfect Location, walking distance to everything in town. awesome beach, excellent service!

From the moment we arrived, we were greeting a warm Aloha by Kirsten at the front desk. She was very helpful in explaining the area and seemed very willing to discuss the attrations around kona and answer any questions we had. After entering the room she was very responsive followed through on every request we made throughout the week.

The location could not be any closer to everything and with its own little beach with paddle board and kayak rentals there was hardly and reason to venture elsewhere for water activities.

When requesting a late checkout we were deined at first by Lee, but shortly after I requested again through Mina and she was more than happy to extend me? I was a bit of an inconvenience to bring my bags down twice but all was well, I had to good of a time and Mina seemed like she had outstanding customer service skills for me to grumble.

Mahalos King Kam Courtyard!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank James_Bondreys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,803 reviews
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!