“Highly recommend staying at this hotel!”

Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Returned almost a week ago from our first trip to the Big Island of Hawaii. We stayed five nights at this hotel and found it to be a lovely stay. The room was pleasant with fresh, new bedding, a comfortable king sized bed, a couch, table with two chairs, large flat screen TV and refrigerator. The bathroom had granite counter tops and shelves for the towels. Before coming to this hotel I heard it had been renovated and everything in the hotel, including lobby areas and rooms looked appealing. The hotel is in a perfect location; located in the heart of the charming town of Kona, on a beach, near the pier and the seawall that was great for strolling. There are restaurants and shops right near the hotel. Everything is handy. The hotel features a restaurant and a shop if you forget some things (I needed a beach towel). There is a pool outside that is good sized with a bar in the pool area that serves drinks and snacks. I swam in the pool one time in the evening and really enjoyed it. The hotel is in a historic location where King Kamehameha lived so there are artifacts in the lobby areas as well as a series of paintings depicting the history of the Big Island. I learned alot from this "history lesson!" We attended the luau which is located on the hotel grounds and enjoyed it very much. The food was good as well as the entertainment. They put much effort into the luau and it was a fun time. I swam in the water at the hotel's beach one time, taking my snorkel gear. I wasn't expecting to see many fish, but actually the snorkeling turned out to be pretty good, with a nice variety of fish and very calm water. In fact this very small beach is noted to have the calmest water on the island and is great for families. Right on the beach is a little shack that will rent kayaks, paddleboards, snorkel equipment, etc. I enjoyed seeing all the people boating from the beach and the activity from the pier. In the area of the beach is a historic temple that King Kamehameha built and it looks very interesting and adds to the charm of this place. The only thing I was not that pleased with was the prime rib and seafood buffet dinner in the hotel's dining room. It costs $35.00, although we were given a discount because we were hotel guests. The food is quite average, nothing really stood out and some dishes did not look that appetizing. For that kind of money, I would expect better than average food, but the food here for the most part is what you would find at run of the mill buffets. My husband did enjoy it though. This is the only time we ate in the hotel so I can't report if this is typical for the hotel. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel. We got an excellent rate, much cheaper than I expected to pay in Hawaii and this hotel offers alot to the visitor. Staff were always friendly and helpful as well. Although the hotel is large, we heard little noise at night in our room. You can't go wrong staying here. If I ever have the opportunity to come back here, I will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MSWMom50
There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Reviewed 19 October 2010

My son and I were in Kona for the Pokemon World Championships.
The Hilton was way out of our price range, so we picked this place.
We got in around 9pm and when we went to our room I did my usual check for well, anything.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled down the blanket and found black hairs all in the bed, nice!! Sink had a lot of them in it as well.

We walked back down to the lobby and complained, the girl at the front desk was nice and gave us an upgraded room. Thankfully it was clean.

However since we were moved I guess the room was not on the maids list of rooms to clean, so when we got back in Saturday night the beds were not made and there were no fresh towels I called down and someone brought me up some towels, I did not tip.

I also noticed a big spot of beach sand on Friday night in the hallway by the elevators, no big deal I thought, well it was still there come Sunday morning when we left.

Kudos however on free internet!! Something a lot of places charge for.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stay at this hotel when we visit Kona. The last time we stayed there it was pretty rundown. But it has been renovated and is very beautiful!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I was very happy staying at the beautiful and newly renovated Kona Beach Hotel while doing business on Kona recently. The staff were so nice and friendly and provided excellent services. The room was spacious with beautiful Hawaiian theme decor and furnitures. It even had a nice large flat screen tv screen. I also love the Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion. I really enjoyed my stay there and look forward to returning back in the future for a longer stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We spent three days at this hotel and loved the location. The hotel was undergoing construction and when there was noise when I was taking an afternoon nap after diving, the front desk called the workers and stopped the noise. The breakfast buffet was overpriced and not good. There are much better options five minute stroll down the street. You can walk everywhere and the dive shop we used was just about a 3 minute ride. Kona Brewery was just steps away and a great place to grab a bite. The room was nice and big and had plenty of room for all of our sport gear.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We enjoyed our stay here with our two children. It was small but big enough for a hotel room. The bathroom was disappointing-it was really tiny. Housekeeping needed a few reminders to replace towels as well. Otherwise service was great. We spent a lot of time at the pool and the pool bar is effiecient-my kids highly recommend the chicken fingers ands wings. Have read other rerviews regarding the shops downstairs being deserted -we were here for Ironman so it was bustling-but can see it's usually deserted they have no spa salon:( They have some interesting art and stories down in the lobby though if you need to kill some time. Breakfast buffet was okay but a little overpriced. We preferred going down the street to find something. Great swimming and even snorkelling just off the beach outside.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Great Location, close to everything in Kona. Room redesign is perfect.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!