“Don't miss the Halibut!”

Thorn's Showcase Lounge
Ranked #8 of 49 Restaurants in Seward
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stopped in for lunch after visiting the Alaska Sea Life Center. Don't let the historic look fool you; the food was great! Good service and was reasonable priced.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I asked around for some recommendations, with an eye towards some halibut for my Mom. Everyone I asked said go to Thorn's for great halibut burgers - so off we went! Thorn's was a place with LOTS of character. I'd best describe it this way - if The Godfather, The Sopranos and a late 70's Charles Bronson movie were blended together and set up shop in Seward, Alaska, you'd find them all in Thorn's. The bar was stuck in the late 70s/EARLY 80s in terms of decor, but it was charming. They are renowned for a world class Jim Beam bottle collection, which covered the walls of the bar/restaurant behind aged Plexiglas with a film from decades of smoking that you probably could write "wash me" in if you felt like taking the chance. The stench of decades old and brand new smoke (smoking was prevalent there) filled the lungs. When Phil Collins wrote "In the Air Tonight", it HAD to be right after stopping into Thorn's for some Jim and Halibut...

Despite the smoke, Thorn's was a VERY cool place all things considered. All the hype was due as my Mom thoroughly enjoyed her halibut burger. I had a regular burger, my wife had a chicken bacon ranch sandwich, and my Dad had a Rueben. He & I both got onion rings. The onion rings weren't a normal serving - it was more like we each got an ENTIRE plate of onion rings! Some of the seats were a hybrid loveseat with leather/pleather covers and big rolling wheels. Thorn's certainly had PERSONALITY, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal there!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a super old bar downtown - lots of character inside. Ordered the basket of halibut - great light batter and super tasty. Got the fries and slaw too. Fries were good, slaw was ok. Would definitely go back there!!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The flash fried halibut is the best thing we ate during our trip to Alaska, we still dream about it. Our portion was perfectly fried and not greasy. Definitely order the large if you're sharing. We also had the seafood chowder which had smokey salmon in it, we used it to dip our fries in. If we had more time in Seward, we would have gone back for seconds.

The food and service was excellent.

1  Thank letravels
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As of April 1st 2014 Thorn's is now non- smoking. Same great food. The bowl of butt is a local specialty I highly recommend.

1  Thank glacierlady