“Worst Service Ever”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner
Talkeetna, Alaska
“Worst Service Ever”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

After a summer of dining around Seward, a group of us went to Thorn's for an employee going away dinner. After a round of drinks, we were ready to order, but Kimberley, our server, never even gave us menus. We had to scrounge them from other tables. When she finally figured out we wanted to order their over-priced food, she seemed rather put out. The entire time we were there, service was very slow, and on the rare occasions she would appear at our table, she was curt. 2 hours later we finally received our bill. I will never return to Thorn's. The prices are high, the food is mediocre, and Kimberley's service was the worst ever.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank TkaTripping

“Bucket of Butt is amazing!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Despite it being hot, somewhat smoky and very crowded we had a fantastic dinner. It was like a time warp- it looks like this place is still in the seventies- in a good way! It is a lounge, so we expected smoking but it did not interfere with dinner. Service was as good as our server could manage but they really needed more staff. It was like a cocktail staff but everyone was ordering dinner. We had appetizers, the halibut chunks and had plenty to eat for a pretty good price. Go for the food but appreciate the surroundings- there aren't many places like this around anymore.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank KittyTripp
Seattle, Washington
“Halibut and chips”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a surprise (maybe I didn't read the menu closely?). The halibut was deep fried but not breaded/battered. It was quite good but not what I expected. I'd prefer a light batter. Service was great. It's a bar/lounge atmosphere of course so it's a bit dark inside even during lunch.

Visited August 2014
Houston, Texas
“unexpected deliciousness!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had just gotten to Seward and wanted to grab a casual lunch. This place seemed to have some high reviews, though I'll admit it wasn't that engaging from the outside appearance (I thought it was a smoky old lounge). It's a cool unique place and I'm so glad we went! yea, it seems more like a bar (and probably would have been a blast at night) but surprisingly the food was amazing. I typically hate seafood, but being in Alaska I decided to try Halibut. They have a dish here called halibut bites (or something like that) and is supposedly what they're known for, so I decided to try it. I was shocked how amazing it was, a very very light batter so not too heavy, not fishy, and I discovered I think I love halibut. Definitely a great stop for lunch!

• Visited July 2014
Meadville, Pennsylvania
“Return to 1962”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Thorn's was built in 1962 and not much has changed then. The lounge survived both the 1964 earthquake and tsunami. The Jim Beam liquor bottles lining the walls are still intact. (Get the picture?) The deep tufted seating is the same. This is a local place, not a tourist place but the specialty is a "Bowl of But" - very lightly breaded and seasoned FRESH halibut - and it was sooo good we went back for dinner a second time! It became a non-smoking place in April of 2014. We loved it, it was the best place we visited in Alaska - just cool, quirky, very retro with excellent food!

• Visited July 2014