Bear Lake Lodgings B&B
US$109
US$102
Sauerdough Lodging(Seward)(Great Value!)
US$155
Harbor 360 Hotel(Seward)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Marina Motel(Seward)
US$77
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsice cream barsalmonoreosother guestsbald eagle nestseward areahomemade breakfastiditarod trailwonderful hostsprivate bathroombeautiful settingstayed longerguest roomsfirst morningfour nightsalaska triptwo night stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I loved the location of this Inn. It is set on a lake, with kayaks available for use which was definitely one of the reasons I chose it. It was beautiful and the little paddle we took was perfect. There were Eagles flying overhead. Across the road was an Eagle's nest with the babies hatched that we were able to see with the spotting scope once the owner returned to the Inn.

It is spotless, the beds are comfortable and the bedroom views are lovely. The bathroom was shared, always clean. We were given our own mat for inside the tub as well as our own floor mat and towels. There was a jar of candy at the entry and a dish of pretzels in the common room. We were given a bag breakfast for our early rise day that was stashed in the frig. We had expected to just grab some coffee and cereal when we got up however there was no milk available.

The owner, Pat, returned just in time for us to depart, and it was really quite lovely getting to meet her and she was gracious and helpful. We had a chance to chat about the area and she brought out the spotting scope for us to see the Eagles.

The Innkeeper who was I believe temporary seemed to manage the property like a tightly run ship. We arrived close to the time we had given and right in the middle of check-in time. Her very first comment when we walked inside was that she was glad we had "already followed the first rule of the house." Before she would show us the room, she walked us through the common area pointing to things and listing more rules. She was polite but a little intense. I realize there must be tons of very disrespectful guests but I think a little finesse was lacking. She was making a bundt cake for breakfast the next morning and expressed disappointment that we could not enjoy it as we were heading out early. I asked her if a piece might find it's way into our bag breakfast.... she laughed; it did not. I tried very hard to engage her and have a more relaxed conversation but it was challenging. She told us the coffee pot would be on but I got the sense that we were to take the coffee and go...but there was no milk... I don't think in retrospect that she wanted us to make anything dirty (dishes cups) or sit at the table in the morning. Her disposition did end up coloring our stay somewhat.

So... did I like the place? Yes. I suppose calling it an "Inn" may be been more accurate and may have changed my expectations.
Would I stay there again? Probably, and I would recommend it as a place to stay!

I thought a lot about writing this review and hesitated in what I wanted to say. I then read a few of the very few negative reviews and found they contained essentially a similar "complaint" regarding the caretakers while the owners are away (there are always personality conflicts but this was clearly not the case here), so I think it is worth noting here.

2  Thank SBN_NJ
AKFlyFishGirl, Owner at Bear Lake Lodgings B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Interesting review and find some items need clarification from our viewpoint.

Very happy you loved our location - we do too! The lake is a beauty and we feel blessed to live in such a lovely area. We wish all our guests were capable to take a paddle and have the same experience as you.

You are a seasoned traveler and having you note so many of our pluses where we attempt to go above and beyond the norm is appreciated. Thanks for those comments. Our young housekeeping staff is inspired by the "spotless" comments directed to their work and they like knowing their efforts are noticed.

Early summer we changed our welcoming email sent to all confirmed guests - these are received about one week before their arrival. We now ask if guests have a morning activity preventing them from joining our breakfast hour - thus allowing us to plan meals better for guests and have "To Go" bagged meal ready. Had our Innkeeper (B&B tender) known you desired cereal instead of a bagged meal, she would have had that ready for you with milk in the refrigerator. Our storage limitations sometimes has back up milk in another location in the house. She did have your coffee ready and we have a pump creamer on the counter available 24/7.

The bundt cake is a funny deal - she does not serve it cold. What makes it special and yummy is the butter and topping she broils into the cake before serving. She was baking it later in the evening and it must cool before slicing - which was to be in the morning. Sorry this didn't work out for you. Guests often open the refrig to take out milk and enjoy cereal before an early departure using the fully set up table and breakfast items ready for the meal time. This is not a problem - we don't put out milk, juice or ice water the night before and only milk at serving time.

I agree - we made a bad call on an Innkeeper position one time in the past. This year we reached beyond our circles to locate a true professional in Daloha. She is her business name www.AmazingInnkeeperRelief.com - and the number of certificates in this profession and other higher education degrees she hold more than impressed me! Along with multiple recommendations from MANY other B&B's across the US. Please just read 5 of the last 9 posted TA reviews and they all rave about her skills and personal abilities - "The Quintessential B&B", "Delightful Stay at Bear Lake Lodgings", "Wonderful Birthday Treat", "Comfortable Stay" and "Super Cute".

B&B and Inns all have different meanings to different people, regions and countries. We are a B&B with a full-time Innkeeper (or Hostess or B&B tender) as we are often absence due to full-time employment. When we are home - we delight in sharing with our guests as does our Innkeeper in our place. We do inform guests of our real careers on our website and have introductions to the Innkeepers for each summer.

I'm happy I got to share the baby eagles with you - as it's something I've been waiting to see for 3 years of staking this particular eagles nest. The eagle excitement continues as they are now standing on the edge of the nest and looking around.

I hope I have cleared up some of your disappointments and truly hope you will continue to stay the B&B way. Thank you for taking the time to review and share your thoughts.

Future guests reading this - please check out our Innkeepers credentials and try staying in a B&B in your area she may be tending! You won't be disappointed, nor will your taste buds!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The king bedroom was spacious with great views of Bear Lake. Breakfast was tasty, and Pat and Dennis and staff were extremely helpful. Loved using their kayaks on Bear Lake. Felt like I was in another world on the lake!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

David - very nice to read your review and know that we ticked all the right boxes for you and Fawn! We feel our location is truly special and we appreciate hearing the same from our guests. Hope that our "other world" will call you both back for a visit in the future. I know Dennis would enjoy more conversations with you! Thank you for the kind review and taking the time to post one!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My husband & I arrived in Anchorage & drove directly to Seward to Bear Lake....it was a perfect introduction to our first trip to Alaska....incredible surroundings....overlooking lovely little lake & mountains. Property was spotless and accommodation excellent
Would recommend to anyone...it is on outskirts of Seward but only about a 10 minute drive to everything.

Room Tip: There are two rooms that share a bath...great for family or couples traveling together. Two large suites with room for 2-4 each with own bath & view of lake and mountains.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Happy you found us a great beginning to your Alaskan adventure. I'm hoping the rest of your stays in Alaska were a pleasant and comfortable as you found our accommodations to be. Our young housekeepers love to hear the comments on the reviews about how spotless everything is kept. They are doing the HARD work and our Innkeeper and us get to do the truly fun part - enjoying "The Best" guests imaginable! Innkeeping continues to amaze us - with wonderful guests and new experiences shared around the table and common areas. We love sharing about our state and the enthusiasm that it generates. A sincere thank you for taking the extra efforts to leave a kind review!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Had a great time staying here. Loved the kayaks and the lake right out the back door! The breakfasts were great and there was plenty of food. If you are a picky eater, just tell them and they will accommodate requests. But without telling them they have lots of options. Everyone was very friendly, talkative and nice!

Room Tip: We had the mt tiehatcher room. There were 3 of us. One queen and one twin. Perfect.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Love the title of your review! Thanks for all the good points you brought out about your stay. We hope you'll find your way back to Alaska and to our door again!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Bear Lake Lodgings B&B for two nights in June of 2014. No complaints. Location was good, easy to find. Short ride to Seward. Check in was efficient. Room was clean and spacious. Breakfast was good. Overall service was good. We never met the owners as they were not on property while we stayed there. Common area encouraged interaction with other guests. We met some nice interesting people which enhanced our stay. Weather was not great so we did not take advantage of the lake. We would happily stay here again the next time we visit Seward.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for mentioning some good points for future guests. We are close to Seward, but yet not in the city limits. This gives guests a nice savings on sales and bed taxes - an 8% difference for staying 3 miles from the city limits! The added peace and quiet is worth the 10 minute drive to the boat harbor and restaurants.
We do our best to help guests have opportunities to interact - that's one of the special parts of staying in a B&B. Good you noticed and enjoyed the other travelers during your stay. The ice cream time each evening has really been a fun experience for the guests and us to share time together. Sorry we were gone for your entire stay - but we are gone often with the ice cream business at special events around Alaska.
Our Innkeeper who is the host in our absence and sometimes presence is a true professional in her career. We want our guests treated as well or better than if we were home! Daloha, our first half of summer Innkeeper, has been a treasure in overseeing all the guest needs.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review - it is VERY much appreciated!