“A unique Alaskan experience”
Review of Bear Glacier

Bear Glacier Kayaking Adventure with Jetboat Transport
Ranked #21 of 45 things to do in Seward
Whittier, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unique Alaskan experience”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My family and I went with Adventure 60 North. We helicoptered into the area and kayaked the lagoon at the foot of Bear Glacier. The beauty of the icebergs, curious seals poking their head up to watch you kayak, the eagle perched on an iceberg made special memories for me. Our guides were incredibly helpful. My 10 year old was overwhelmed (not in a good way) initially. Our guide is a children's ski instructor in the off-season, so he really helped save the day. Once my 10 year old got comfortable, he had a great day. So did we all!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Cheri B

Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Grand!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Please look at my complete review from Adventure Sixty North where I gave a complete recap. It left me speechless when I laid my eyes on this great Glacier.

Visited June 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“beautiful”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Alaskan glaciers are just beautiful.. definitely a stop while in Seward. The outdoors and views are incredible

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rbluvs2travel
Bethany Beach, DE
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“incredible Hike”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

pretty easy hike into the glacier. the views are stunning. should not miss it. you can hike onto the glacier safely. the little creek along the way is very picturesque.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank mfharahan
Durham, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Did not live up to my expectations”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked a 5-hr kayaking trip with Adventure Sixty North to kayak Bear Glacier and was a bit disappointed. As I explained in my review of Adventure Sixty, I had some mistaken idea that Bear Glacier was a huge glacier and that there were passageways to go through and ice bergs everywhere. I think that it IS big, but someone told me afterwards that it's very wide, just not very tall. When I got to the closed-off lake/lagoon, I was really disappointed. I'm not sure if it's because I went in August, but if there were no ice bergs, it would have seemed like I was just at a place with mountains and a lake. The glacier itself is not very tall and so it didn't seem very impressive. The ice bergs in the water were more impressive although even they were not as huge as I thought (maybe some were already melting?). Another problem might have been that I had already walked on the Matanuska Glacier (we ice climbed there) which seemed bigger somehow (maybe because we actually walked on it?) and the next day we saw Aialik Glacier by cruise boat and that is a much bigger glacier. In terms of photographs, if going by boat (kayak or cruise), the Aialik Glacier definitely gave better photos and looked like a whole backdrop of white. The Bear Glacier photos didn't turn out as well.

Visited August 2012