“Beautiful view”

Renfro's Lakeside Retreat
Washington, DC
“Beautiful view”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our family of four stayed at Renfro's recently and we had a very nice experience. The view of the water right in front of the cabin is just beautiful. There are three cabins that are right on the water and I highly recommend them for the view. The location to Seward is pretty good, it's about a 30 minute drive. The kids spent much time roasting marshmallows, building dirt paths, and building forts out of the driftwood. The cabin itself is rustic, indoor/outdoor carpeting, a double bed on the upper level and a futon with a bunkbed next to the kitchen. The kitchen is stocked with dishes, utensils, pots, pans, dish towels, etc. There is a dorm sized refrigerator and one shelf for food, a bit tight if you are staying for more than a few days. Also, there aren't any bookshelves, closets, or hooks, so you basically live out of your suitcase or from the floor. The owner is very kind and helpful with recommendations of things to do in the area. Exit Glacier is not too far as is Cooper Landing. We had a great stay with wonderful memories.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the three cabins that are on the lake.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Gary G, Owner at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Retreat! It sounds as if you had a great experience and I am thankful we were able to assist in providing wonderful memories for your family. I see that you are recommending the five cabins with the lake view that have a queen bed upstairs in the loft along with a full and twin bunk on the lower half. Of course these cabins are our most popular with the lake view. All the cabins come fully stocked with what you need except your groceries. Thanks again for your time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We enjoyed our time at Renfros. Took lots of photos right outside our cottage. Enjoyed having a campfire in the evenings. Took the paddle boat out when the lake was calm and did a little fishing too. Seward was about 20 minutes away so it was easy to go there for the day.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I appreciate your time in writing a review of the Retreat! Please share your photos on TripAdvisor if you can, I along with others always like to look at the pictures of the Retreat. The cabins are peaceful and I enjoy just sitting on the porch and looking at the lake and or taking the pedal boats out and looking back at the Retreat or the surrounding mountains. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

My family rented one of three lakeside cabins as part of a larger group traveling together. (Our group had 3 lakeside cabins.) I think one of the best memories of our visit for my kids will be playing on the shoreline of Kenai Lake. The driftwood made for perfect childhood memories and a place where they could play for hours. The cabins are well appointed and cozy. We had plenty of dishes for cooking and enjoyed sitting on the decks and enjoying the long Alaskan days. The Wifi (available at the office) was welcomed. Renfro's made a great base for our trips to Seward, fishing on the upper Kenai, and Exit Glacier. The owner (Gary) got us discounted tickets on a Kenai Fjords tour. In short, it's a great place for families. If I was traveling alone with my wife, I would stay there again because it's quite romantic as well.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I recently wrote a caption for my employees and I of a picture that was taken of us together - "The Architects of Your Memories". It is very fitting for this review as we work hard behind the scenes to ensure your memories are remarkable. The Retreat is a great base camp for the surrounding Kenai Peninsula and what it has to offer. We are in a fantastic location and as you stated the Retreat caters to both families and a romantic get-a-way setting. Those traveling alone enjoy it also! Thanks for your kind words!
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My girlfriend and I took a trip up to Alaska in the end of June, and ended up staying in one of the Renfro cabins during our time in the Seward/Kenai Fjords area. Everything met or exceeded our expectations during our stay. We arrived a bit earlier than anticipated, but Gary was very accommodating and allowed us to check in early and got us a key to our cabin with a map of the property so that we could directly to our cabin later on in the day. The cabin itself was absolutely perfect. That's the actual word my girlfriend used when she first saw it. Gorgeous view of the lake, very clean and homey-feeling cabin, hot water for showers, a grill, and a fire pit. Loved being able to disconnect from the rest of the world and just enjoy the area. Only about a 20 minute drive to get to Seward from the cabins, so the location was amazing for us. I will be recommending Renfro's to any of my friends that book an Alaska trip in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gary G, Owner at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Your feedback on the Retreat is very much appreciated! I am please that we met or exceeded your expectations. If I can check you in early and get you into your cabin so you can start enjoying this piece of paradise, I am all for it! Your girlfriend's words of "absolutely perfect" is what I enjoy hearing. I am glad you were able to disconnect and enjoy the gorgeous views of the lake. Please come back and see us again!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2014

we changed our plan a few days before the trip and decided going south instead of north to Fairbanks from Denali. So I booked the cabin in the last minute. The cabin is definitely expected my expectation.
It is clean, comfortable, and convenient. we only stayed for one night but kids really enjoyed the woods and the pedal boat on the lake. Will come again in future trips and also bring fishing gear.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the photo of Cabin #8. It seems old from the photo, but actually quite nice i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on the Retreat! I am pleased that the Retreat and cabin itself exceeded your expectations. I like the three "c's" - Clean, Comfortable and Convenient! That is a great description of your stay. And yes, cabin #8 is the oldest cabin on the property - one of the originals, but has been renovated. Many people are fooled by the age of the green cabin in the woods. Thanks again!
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We loved the peaceful setting and the access to the lake. The campsites are well maintained and hookups are as advertised. Suggestion: stock a few movies for us late nighters! Other than that, our stay was most pleasant. Thanks again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Gary G, Owner at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
I am thankful for your review of the R.V. Park. We are getting more reviews for this section of the Retreat and I appreciate all the insight. I do have the games and cards in the lodge for our guests to enjoy, but never thought about the movies as the cabins do not have t.v.'s in them. I will keep that in mind and see what I can do to get some dvd's for our R.V.'ers! I am glad you enjoyed the peaceful setting, access to the lake and had a most pleasant stay!
Chugiak, Alaska
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Gary was very accomodating. Cabin was very clean and well appointed. I did miss no tv or radio, but not that much of a problem. Would have liked some blinds on windows since it was so light outside (June). Thanks for the hospitality!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the Retreat! I see you enjoyed the attention to details commenting on how clean and how well appointed the cabin was. We try to unplug and unwind here from technology, thus no t.v.'s or radios in the cabins, sorry you missed them. Those blinds are a challenge for me as you can see from previous reviews. I will continue to search for a solution that is cost effective and workable. Thanks again for the comments and ideas for the cabins!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seward
Hotel Seward
Alaska Creekside Cabins
Summit Lake Lodge
Summit Lake Lodge
#1 of 2 in Moose Pass

Been to Renfro's Lakeside Retreat? Share your experiences!