“Great horseback riding experience!”

Bardy's Trail Rides - Day Tour
Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great horseback riding experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Our experience with Bardy's Trail Rides was on our first day in Seward and was a great start to our trip! Our group was all adults (myself and my husband, my parents, my brother and sister in law, and her parents) with varying degrees of horseback experience including little to none (myself included). They do offer helmets and have you sign a waiver if you do not want to wear one - no one in our group chose to. Breanna selected a horse for each of us based on our experience level. The ride included stream side and some wooded areas, as well as several stream crossings. Breanna was a great guide, and her dog Gunny was a joy along the trip also! The two hour ride was the perfect amount of time. Yes, the horses are lined up based on what they are used to, so don't expect a romantic ride in the wilderness hand in hand with your sweetie. We did stop at a grassy area where Breanna took time to group together horses so we could get pictures together. We loved our horseback riding experience, and I would highly recommend it to other Seward travelers!

Visited June 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best horseback riding yet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Absolutely breathtaking views. I was left speechless a couple of times when I tried to explain my feelings to my girlfriend during the ride. The views are unlike anything I have ever seen before and seeing them while on horseback made it even more special. The thing I liked the most about the ride is that the trail was so secluded. No cars, no noise, nothing. We followed the river most of the time and crossed it many times. Very cool experience!

Visited July 2013
Boerne, Texas
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Nice views, bad horses”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

My family does not possess a great deal of horseback riding experience, having only ridden 15-20 in our lives, but I think this is typical for the experience level of most casual riders who take this kind of trail ride. Normally our horses act like they are sedated and it can be hard to get them going. These horses were not sedate, but obnoxious, mean and even dangerous.

First, the good part. The trail was very scenic. It is a head to tail trail, necessitated by the narrowness of the trail--no way could 2 horses ride along side each other, as you are riding through willows most of the way. Supposedly there are some moose you can see in the willows, but we didn't see any. Maybe I was just too busy trying to keep my horse under control ti see much of anything. There are many crossings of rivers and streams, which is fun as long as the rivers aren't too high and fast. There are some nice views across the bay towards Seward. Best part was all the bald eagles we saw. We rode past a nesting area for the eagles and got really close before they flew off. Also saw 2 juveniles fighting in mid-air, which was cool, and a large adult landed on a tree stump not 20 feet away from us and just watched us with interest. Really amazing. On the website they say they will tell you about the 1964 earthquake and how it affected Seward, but we didn't get any of that. Even if the guides had mentioned it, we would not have been able to hear her since the only people who could hear the guide were the first 2 behind her. The guide in the rear never said a word.

Now the bad. These horses are awful and poorly trained, borderline dangerous. The guides seemed sweet and no doubt they know how to ride, but they were not much help to any of us as we tried to keep our horses moving and not fighting each other. My horse repeatedly kicked the horse behind it, and jerked me around good as he kept trying to feed on everything. My husband's horse was the worst, and at one point just reared up on its hind legs and took off running. Any of the rest of us in our family would have been thrown off for sure but my husband managed to keep control. This kind of horse behavior is unacceptable to us, as we have ridden many other locales and never experienced anything like it, and Bardy's is opening themselves to serious liability issues (the liability waiver you sign notwithstanding) if they don't remedy this problem.

The views are the only reason this attraction didn't receive a 1 or 2 from me. If Bardy's is serious about providing a safe and fun ride to the public, they need to train their horses a lot better, not just say, oh this horse is a little cranky and that horse has to be at this place in line. Train them for all sorts of riders and conditions. And while they're at it, they should train the guides better as well. Two teenaged girls and angry horses does not inspire confidence.

Bottom line, if you are an experienced horseman and can handle cranky horses, this would be a good ride. Otherwise, skip it. You can do better somewhere else and feel safer too.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank hillcntrytraveler
Seward, Alaska
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“From a local perspective”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

I live in Seward year round. One random weekend the owner asked if I wanted to go on a trail ride. (she had a small group that day) I have gone on trail rides before but never in my home town, so I was all for it!
While walking down trails you would never normally use the guide had bits and pieces of history and stories her grandfather passed down. oddly enough my families history blended in. (stories of the 1964 earthquake) needless to say it was a super cool ride and I would recommend it to anyone down w/ horses and looking for something off the beaten trail. I had a great time!

Los Angeles, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great and (relatively) cheap tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

Me and my girlfriend did this trail ride when we were in Seward at the beginning of June. Neither of us are experienced riding horses and we had a pretty good time on this trip. The scenery is incredible (I uploaded some photos) and it changes a few times. There are points where you're out in the flats right by the bay with insane mountains all around you, and other times where you're in a forest almost. There are quite a few river crossings as well. We were there early so there weren't any salmon in the streams but I heard during the right time of year you can experience that as well.

I do kind of wish the ride was a little more narrated, but that's just me. Breanna answered all my questions, though, and at times it is hard to hear anyhow with the horses stomping around. This was the cheapest guided tour we did while in Alaska (though also the shortest) but I feel like it's a great value for what you get.

Visited June 2012