“refunded trip due to weather”

Bardy's Trail Rides - Day Tour
Ranked #13 of 55 Outdoor Activities in Seward
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The weather during out trip was horrible, with rainy blowing sideways and temps in the 50's. We called to see if the ride was still going to happen, and they decided that it would not and that they would happily refund our money. To me that shows good business sense.

1  Thank thehappydane
"resurrection bay"
in 12 reviews
"fun adventure"

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hands down, worst experience I have ever had on vacation. I was on a two hour tour with a family of 5, with three children ages 5, 8, and 13. I arrived early to "get to know" my horse as stated by the tour recommendations. I noticed right away that three of the horses appeared to be somewhat agitated. I was very nervous, as I am not an experienced rider, but I have been on a ride in the last 6 months. I expressed my concerns with the owner and requested that I not ride the three horses in question, in which she told me not to worry because "those horses are for the children". I was relieved and at the same time horrified, but I figured they must have more riding experience. Also, I observed that the horses were being "saddled up" by a group of teenage employees, probably ranging from ages 14-17. About 40 minutes into the ride, I noticed one of the children's saddles slipping to the left a little and I yelled out to the guide. Before she could respond, the horse became startled and started bucking wildly. Luckily the rider wasn't seriously injured but he did comment that the horse came dangerously close to coming down on his ankle. About 1 hour into the trip we came to a meadow and were told to let the horses eat grass, at which time our guide (also a teenager) offered to take pictures of us on our horses. I noticed right away that the smallest rider's horse started off on the trail without us. As the guide went to retrieve that horse, the 8 year olds horse took off abruptly on a side trail and my horse followed! I pulled very hard on the reigns to try to gain control, but lost them over the top of my horses head as she thrusted her head down and forward. The horse was very uncontrollable and did not listed to basic commands. I hung on for dear life before both horses came to a hault. The 8 year old could not maintain his position on his horse, but luckily was not injured as he landed in the grass. At this point the entire group unanimously decided to abort the mission, and we walked the horses back to base camp in the mud. I justifiably expressed my disgust in this experience with the staff and the owner but was denied a refund. The owner did say that she may give a partial refund to the family whose children were thrown off from the horses but ultimately said it was our decision and not the company's to end the tour early and that the guide remained in complete control of the situation at all times.

9  Thank valleylily
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and I were looking forward to our ride; we try to ride whenever we visit a National Park. We were joined by a family of four - mom, dad and two young children. Maybe it was because of the two young kids, but our ride was dull with little or no information from our guide. We were assigned spots in the line up and were not allowed to ride near each other, so we couldn't even talk to each other. Overall, relaxing ride but not much elwse.

1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We absolutely loved our horse ride. What amazing scenery and if your'e an animal lover, you must do this.

Note - it is very fun riding through the rivers, just make sure to lift your feet up high, my shoes got drenched ;)

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had a rainy day so the scenery was limited but we saw so many eagles and some of them were quite close. My daughter who is 7 loved it. The horses have a bit of spunk but really follow each other butt to face quite close so you don't have to do much from a riding perspective. The girls leading it were really nice but it is hard to hear in a long line so there wasn't much talking going on. On a clear day I bet the scenery is totally amazing but even in the rain it was really nice and it was just us out there on the public land so quite private.