“One of the highlights of my trip”
Review of Nauti Otter

Nauti Otter
Atlanta, Georgia
“One of the highlights of my trip”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I have stayed at many hostels and thus one trumps them all. The service, comfort, food and authentic Alaskan experience I got here was unbeatable and unforgettable. Heather had the best recommendations and went out of her way to book excursions for us when we didn't know what to do. Breakfast is awesome and she always has fresh cupcakes. I will go back if I'm ever in Seward again. we stayed in the hostel part of the inn and it was not even like a hostel. Can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Healy, Alaska
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I am a seasonal worker who traveled to Seward from Denali over 4th of July weekend. I usually camp, but because of the weather decided to stay where it was dry. I was greeted by Heather the owner of the hostel and she made me feel so welcome as I walked in the door. In less than an hour I was introduced to everyone that was staying in the hostel and received lots of information about the festivities in Seward. Heather and her friends invited me out on the town which was amazing since I was traveling alone. I was so pleased to have a clean towel and breakfast with my stay, I have never stayed at a hostel that has supplied either of those accommodations. I had a blast in Seward over the 4th and I am so happy I stayed at the Nauti Otter, it allowed me to be social during my travels and stay in a clean, warm, and dry environment. The best part is I feel like I made some lasting friendships from the stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Valorie B
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed in one of the cabins, clean and great for a couple, not gonna find any other place this nice in this price range in Seward! And good breakfast options included. Not to mention the fire pit and wood already cut for you to use! Made our Seward fishing trip easy and affordable. Thanks Heather!!

• Stayed June 2013
Thayne, Wyoming
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I like to make our money stretch. One way -- use a hostel for our lodging and food preparation. Heather and her Nauti Otter cabins, inn and hostel is just the find in Seward, AK. We stayed in one of the Inn Rooms for three days and two nights. Very comfortable! Nicely decorated. A shared bath but that is expected; yes there could/should be a second bath, and that is under construction. But the exceptional value you receive for staying at the Nauti Otter is the absolutely wonderful hospitality of the hostess Heather. Even before we arrived she sent us an email listing the sights to look for on the trip from Anchorage to Seward -- now how many do that? None! The evening we arrived she told us about a salmon weir that I'm sure only locals know about. We visited there twice--it was fascinating! She also is very helpful, accommodating, and when you speak with her she listens to you. Sure there are improvements in the works, but if you want a unique and great experience -- Stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Staying at the Nauti Otter was one of the highlights of our visit to Seward, AK this July. My husband and I stayed in one of the cabins and thoroughly enjoyed our time. It was close enough to the town and National Park you could get there quickly but far enough away you could enjoy peace and quiet away from the crowds.
Heather, the owner had everything you could possibly need to make the stay even more comfortable. She had two kitchens so we were able to save some money by cooking in a few nights during our stay. The house is bustling with activity but I had to say I enjoyed meeting other travelers and hearing of their adventures. We could also get privacy in our cabin and relax after a long day of touring/ hiking/ boating.
To get the full Seward experience you must stay at the Nauti Otter!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Sourdough cabin. While very small it was charming and cozy. The perfect size...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KHdancing
Evansville, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Nauti Otter for the 4th of July festivities this year. Heather, the owner, was great! The train got in earlier than expected and she was able to accommodate me and check me in early. She also provides breakfast in the morning. I cooked up some scrambled eggs in the kitchen and chatted with the other guests. I would highly recommend anyone to stay at Nauti Otter, especially if you are traveling on a budget!

Room Tip: There are several rooms available or cabins out back. If you are traveling solo and don't mind...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at one of the private rooms and think that the place could need some improvement. Even though Heather has done a good job in decorating the rooms, the house is authentically Alaskan: it is probably made of cardboard and wood. There was no heating in the room so it was very chilly even in summer. One of the kitchens is not very inviting at all but rather looks like a shed. Heather is very outgoing, indeed, but if you want some privacy the Nauti Otter is no place for you because of that. Heather will talk quite a lot. When we were there there were problems with the shower and the gas but Heather laughed it right off instead of trying to get everything repaired. When we had breakfast the next morning, there was someone snoring heartily in the adjacent common room and we could not figure out why he was sleeping there anyway. Regarding all that, the place is certainly not cheap no matter how expensive Alaska in general is. A lot of things in and around the place would need a lot more attention.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
I'm very sorry the Nauti Otter wasn't a good fit for your stay in Seward. Staying in a hostel is much different than staying in a hotel. Hostelers should expect to chat with other travelers and have a host who will answer questions any traveler may have. I apologize about the gas situation and had a temporary gas tank installed within a few hours. Liiving in Alaska can have its disadvantages. One being, the gas company is 2 hours away and can take some time for them to arrive to fix the situation at hand. A hostel is not the best fit for all travelers, but we aim to keep a clean, comfortable, and casual enviornment for travelers on a budget.