“Great Experience”

Nauti Otter
San Francisco, California
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

These are great cabins with true Alaskan Experience. Heather was really helpful in providing information on things to do, things to eat, Salmon race etc. There is a big campfire area too outside. We enjoyed campfire sharing Alaskan experiences with other travellers. Breakfast was provided. Kitchen was well equipped and well organized. All in all it was a very good experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
I appreciate you taking time to write a review! It really means a lot! I am so glad you enjoyed my recommendations! I look forward to seeing you again during your travels!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Absolutely perfect! Staying at the Nauti Otter is like having a friend to stay with in Seward. Heather is a wonderful host - booking us on a whale watching tour, giving advice on restaurants and free/cheap things to do in seward, and always there for anything. Breakfast was wonderful, the rain brought s'more making inside and the beds were so comfortable that it was a struggle to get up in the morning. It was great meeting the other guests who were all very friendly and good companions for hiking and night life.

AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review! I really appreciate it! I remember us making s'mores in the living room in the fire place! We aren't going to let a little rain ruin our good time! I hope to see you again during your travels!
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed at the Nauti Otter with a friend while visiting my brother in Seward. We had a great time at the hostel and met many wonderful people there! I enjoyed all the options for breakfast in the morning and we also had fun sitting by the fire pit at night with other guests. I highly recommend the Nauti Otter, the only issue is that you need a cab to get to town.

AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review! It is really appreciated! I'm thrilled you enjoyed your time here! I hope to see you in your future travels! As we continue to grow, purchasing a shuttle to and from town are in my future plans for the Nauti Otter. :)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The manager, Heather, was super-helpful. Sent us a detailed guide to Seward in advance. "I'll be there, but if not, just use the credit card machine to pay your own bill." When I checked out, she let me keep my things in the laundry room an extra day for no charge -- that was _extremely_ helpful and made the rest of my stay in Seward much easier.

The hostel has a very well-stocked kitchen with every possible ingredient. If you're too hungry to cook you can just take some cereal; but there is also a waffle-maker + ingredients for waffles.

There is a place to make a fire in the back, if you have firewood.
You can in theory rent bikes at the hostel (though I haven't tried).
There is wi-fi, though it can be slow.

Besides hostel quarters there is a small RV you can stay in ("the Dinghy") and a small log cabin ("Roughcut cabin"). The Dinghy looks small but is very cozy; the cabin a bit less cozy but has more space. Both have something of an old/damp smell when you first walk in, but you soon stop noticing it.

The hostel is a bit out of Seward, so if you don't have a car you'll have to hitchhike.

Overall, definitely recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in Seward! I want to thank you for taking time to write a review, it really means a lot! I have deep cleaned all of the cabins and campers and they smell Alaskan fresh! Happy travels and hope to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2013

as others have said, the owner heather is very organized, nice and helpful. she's very easy-going and willing to help in any way possible. she can advise you on hiking, cruises, restaurants, etc.
i stayed in one of the private hostel rooms. ask for a space heater when it gets cold, which is every night even in summer!! seward is very rainy and cold but has some beatiful scennery on the rare sunny day.
use of the kitchens was convenient. lots of breakfast foods are provided- you won't go hungry here!!
only negative is that sometimes things in the house can get noisy, with all the family and guests, so one of the tiny private "cabins" would be quieter if that's what you want.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review, I really appreciate it!! I'm so happy you enjoyed your time here! As stated on the website, the house is old and the walls are thin, so you may hear some noise as others are mingling. Quiet hours are posted and I am currently working on upgrades to the house that will block out some of the noise (solid wood doors, dampers for underneath the doors, upgraded double paned windows). I agree, if you are a light sleeper, the cabins are a better option. I hope to see you again in Seward! Happy travels!
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We arrived at the Nauti Otter as a party of seven, five hostel beds and one cabin. Initially, the plan was to stay one night, but pretty much as soon as we got to the Nauti Otter we realized that a second night was in order. I stayed in the small Dinghy and then the Roughcut Cabin. Both were sufficiently, clean/neat, had wifi, heat, and a good deal of privacy, which I enjoyed. the Dinghy is TINY but also, really charming. I thought I'd prefer the Roughcut Cabin as it has a porch, but no, the Dinghy really isn't so much small as it is miniature which is kind of cool.

Heather, the host, is an organizational wonder and she really is what makes the Nauti Otter special. While the hostel is small (it's really just a larger home with two kitchens and a collection of stand alone cabins in the yard), it feels really intimate and warm rather than cramped. Even the "out house" is awesome. Sure, it's outside... but it's a flushable toilet and there's plush red carpet on the inside as well as truly random bathroom reading nailed to the walls. It's sounds odd to call an "outhouse" super cute, but really, it's so random and warm it feels more like something you'd expect to find inside a hipster Brooklyn bar than in the middle of a yard in Seward, Alaska.

Heather provides everything you need to feel at home: a clean warm place to sleep, easy access to the kitchens, and an individualized welcome note that gives you all the information you could ever think to ask (eg: wifi passwords, shower sign up system, list of local transportation, list of local tours/touring companies, list of all good short/long day hikes, etc.). In fact, the hostel is filled with lists: how to use the donut machine, how to make waffles, how to figure out high/low tides for the day, etc. It's super impressive. She's also just pretty accommodating and flexible in general. I ordered wine with my room because I knew I wanted to bring back some local wine as a souvenier but knew I wouldn't have any time/way to pick it up myself. I asked Healther to pick up a few extra bottles when I made my room reservation and voila, she charged me market rate for them, and life was good.

In short, Heather has made the Nauti Otter and ideal base for exploring Seward, and I was for one, impressed that the Nauti Otter offered not just an awesome atmosphere but opportunities to a whole host of activities, including but I'm sure not limited to: making a bonfire out back, renting fishing equipment and going fishing, renting a bike, picking wild berries and other edible plants (right across the street!), going for a hike (and borrow some bear spray) and, you know, dressing up in pirate gear and take pictures of yourself. Whatever. Long story short, I was impressed and wished i had more than a day and two nights to spend in Seward!

2 Thank Natalie K
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you so much for writing this awesome review! You really got into details, which I'm sure other travelers (myself included) appreciate! My goal is to make the Nauti Otter an experience, as well as a great place to sleep. I'm thrilled you guys decided to stay an extra night and hopefully you will visit Seward again and stay with us! We are constantly improving and this year we are adding several more "interesting" places to sleep. Come back and check us out!
Montreal
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We stayed one night at Nauti Otter. We got there at night to find a note on the door. The owner was out (and we never saw her the next morning either). Great instructions! We found our room and everything easily. But, it was cold in the room on this rainy summer day. No heat. We took a nice hot shower and got a good night sleep. No problem there. The breakfast fixing were plenty and good. But, the place is a little too rustic for what we expected... Old house, not all renovated, with many old and odd looking cabins in the backyard as well as mice running in the living room in the morning... When we took the bed sheets off in the morning, as asked by the owner, the bed cover was very dirty... All in all, not a bad place if you are on a very tight budget, but we have seen much cleaner and much better maintained hostel around the world!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review! We are rustic! As for the "mice" in the living room. Those are voles, which, I know, isn't any better. This happens every once in a while and it doesn't just happen to the Nauti Otter, it happens to everyone in the area. The weather will change and all of a sudden, there will be an influx of voles. They are around for a few days, then as soon as they arrive, they all disappear. It's a strange phenomenon. I wish there was a way to "vole proof" the house, but with the traffic in and out of the door and people leaving the back door open, it's virtually impossible. I haven't seen them for years, but there was a few days this past year where they showed their little faces. I make it a priority to have clean sheets and I personally clean them after every guest. I also wash the mattress covers once a week. Some of the covers tend to collect "fuzzies" on them and hopefully that is what looked as if it was dirty, but I assure you, they were clean. Living hours away from the nearest Wal Mart, sometimes it is months before we can purchase new items. Thank you again for taking time to post a review and hopefully we will see you again during your travels as we are constantly upgrading! Happy travels!