“Nauti Otter”
Review of Nauti Otter

Nauti Otter
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in the Sourdough Cabin. Cosy and comfortable (it even had its own TV!). Well-equipped kitchen in the main house where there are snacks and drinks available for breakfast. Very friendly. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for taking time out to post a review! The Nauti Otter is thrilled you enjoyed your stay! May our paths cross again in our travels!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

And I will not hesitate to tell my friends. I traveled to Seward July 20th-25th with two, adult children. We spent the first night in Anchorage and then headed south to Seward and the Nauti Otter. First of all, the communication prior to arrival is very good. Heather tells you about the logistics of the Nauti Otter but also the surrounding area. When we arrived, there was a note taped to the front door welcoming us to the area. Heather was out fishing and would be back around 7. We unloaded the car and went to the sites recommended by Heather and her cousin--who was there when we arrived. We were up the next morning early to go fishing and came back later. We would have stayed again (we had a cabin for three and loved it) but the cabin was already booked for Wed. night. Heather did have openings for the hostel beds, but we didn't want to subject people to two loud snorers plus we decided to try and cut off some of the drive back to the ANC for our next-day departure. My only complaint and it's not really a complaint, but it was somewhat a slow time for the hostel, so Heather took advantage of it and went fishing. I cannot fault a woman for that. On our last morning there, we did find Heather and she readily helped us book a wildlife cruise--including the discount--and apologized for not being around more and explained the circumstances. Heather knows the area and is able to give great advise and is very professional when recommending different vendors. The outdoor, flushable toilet was fine (I've lifted the lid off my toilet many times) and the outdoor shower was great.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wolf's Den with three adults. We were comfortable with three adults and slept...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking time out to write a review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay! I wish I could have been around more during your stay, but I would go crazy if I didn't get out and enjoy the beauty of Alaska every now and then! Plus, it helps me relay the information to my guests if I actually experience the surroundings! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed my emails, as I want to share EVERY little thing I find amazing about Alaska to others! Happy travels and may our paths cross again!

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Very friendly owner, helpful and very good micromanagement.

I get to cook our own meal in a kitchen which is very convenient.

Most snacks and drink provided in the cabinet and refrigerator are free for you to make your own breakfast.

I’d post five star here if it weren’t for the living condition of the cabin we rented which is a bit run down.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for posting a review! The Nauti Otter is constantly upgrading and making improvements. I try to keep the "Alaska, rustic" feel, but agree some of the cabins could use an upgrade. Hopefully the next time you visit, we will get a 5 star! Happy travels and may we meet again! Aaarrg!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

So I'll admit. This was my first Hostel experience and I chose to do it during the BUSIEST weekend of the year (4th of July in Seward Alaska). But the price was right and I was desperate for a bed. I couldn't have been more charmed by the whole thing. The bed I chose unfortunately was in the worst spot I could've picked but nobody was purposely trying to be loud they were just passing through to get to their beds. The main part (where I slept) looked like a house and had about 8-10 beds upstairs set up in a common open area. When I arrived there was a towel, a mint, and a welcome packet waiting for me on my bed. Since the girls who run it work during the day they weren't around when I arrived but they did leave a note on the door with my name on it giving me instructions on where things were and how things worked. There was a cosy little living room with fire place, tv, computer set up all available for use. The kitchen area had a big dining room table where I just sat and watched everything going on around me. Good sized kitchen stocked with all sorts of pots and pans and everything a fully stocked kitchen would have. There was a breakfast bar with various cereals, EVEN A DONUT MAKING STATION!!! There were adorable little notes EVERYWHERE explaining how to make things where things were. I just loved it. Clean bathroom, you sign up for a time to take a shower. There also is another bathroom shower outside for use as well. This place was so adorable and so welcoming. If hostel life isn't for you there are also cabins (small but super cute!) out back available for rent. Nicely priced for Seward accommodations. I would definitely recommend to anyone!!

Room Tip: You can't beat the price. But if sharing quarters isn't for you go for one of the cabins in...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking time out to post such a detailed review! Other travelers will really appreciate it, as did I! Next time you visit, I will upgrade you to your own cabin! :)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I love Alaska for its uniqueness, ruggedness, and beauty. And for the interesting and quirky people I meet there. The Nauti Otter was such fun! I booked a bed on the floor at the top of the stairs, but since it was a quiet night, Heather let me pick an open bed in the big room upstairs. Does she ever have things together! I did not eat at the hostel, because I couldn't wait to try the creperie she suggested in her long and helpful email sent before I left home. But she had things in the kitchen so organized, even celiac friendly! There is such a variety of lodging available at the Nauti Otter Inn, from comfy beds inside to a garage looking structure, little cabins and a small old camper trailer(complete with yard flamingos). I'm going to try a different place every time I go. The greatest hostel experience I've had in my almost 60 years!

Room Tip: Beds at the top of the stairs could be noisy if there are people visiting in the kitchen late. Beds...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Love it! Thank you for the review! The creperie is definitely an experience in itself! I try to pass on all the secret local spots to my guests so they can experience Alaska to its fullest! Hope to see you again in your future travels!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Spent 2 days here in private room (versus cabin or bunk room). Other guests said cabins were great. Excellent location to all Seward activities - glacier cruises, fishing boats, dining and shops. Kitchen is FULLY stocked w/food so you can make anything you want: pancakes/waffles for breakfast, pack a lunch for your day. It's not just juice & pastries like typical B&Bs. This is a huge PLUS based on pricey Alaska food! Room price VERY reasonable, especially figuring in the kitchen offerings. Heather does a great job in helping w/your trip and uses a 'sign-up' board for shower/bath use to keep things fair and organized. House is old/needs some repairs but Intended upgrades will get her to an excellent rating. Great for solo travelers, couples, groups.

Room Tip: Wld take room at end of hall versus across from busy shared bath. Bed linens and carpet clean.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for posting a review! Having two bathrooms can potentially be a bad thing, but hopefully I've created a system that makes everyone happy! Hope to see you again in your travels!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

A first glimpse of the Inn may be startling. But, owner has thought of EVERYTHING. Everything is organized and systematic with signs to direct you so you never feel lost or helpless. BEST.RUN.HOSTEL!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Hah! Startling?! That is definitely a first! Love it! We, at the Nauti Otter, are constantly trying to improve the appearance, especially the curb appeal! We have a MAJOR construction project set in the calendar within the next few years. Complete revamping of the siding and roof of the main house! It will look like a totally new place! Maybe, you won't be startled when you arrive next time? :0 Happy travels and we hope to see you at the Nauti Otter in the future! Thank you for taking time out to post a review! We really appreciate it!