All reviewssourdough cabinother guestsyurt villagepancakes or wafflesgreat communicationindoor bathroombreakfast ingredientsaffordable stayunique placegave greataffordable optionwarm bedinteresting peopleplace to staywolf's denfire pitabsolutely loved our stay
Reviewed 13 August 2016

My sister and I stayed for two nights at the Nauti Otter. It's a funky and charming property just outside of Seward. We opted to stay in one of the unique lodging options, a vintage camper trailer called the Lumberjack Shack. The Lumberjack Shack was roomy enough for two people to sleep comfortably and had outlets for charging electronic devices, which was nice. Each of the standalone lodging options has its own parking space.

Nauti Otter provides guests with linens, towels, wifi, two kitchens, two bathrooms with showers, a common room with an adorable cat named Bucky, complimentary breakfast ingredients, and lots of information about things to do in Seward. Heather, the proprietor, and her friend, were very friendly and when we accidentally left behind a souvenir in the Lumberjack Shack, they let us know and mailed it back to us. Nauti Otter is a great budget lodging option for travelers to Seward and we'd definitely return for another stay.

Room Tip: If you want quieter lodging, opt for the standalone options instead of a room in the house.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed at the lumberjack for three nights. Clean comfortable budget lodging. The owner is friendly & always tried to help us out whenever she is able to. We booked the Kenai Fjord cruise & Exit Glaciers climbing tour with her and got some discount. Highly recommend this place !

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2016

I had the pleasure of staying at the Nauti Otter the last half of July and it served as the perfect base camp for all the adventures Seward has to offer, while providing a comforting, cozy place to relax, make dinner, and chat with people from all over the world.

I have no doubt that I could write for days on the positives Heather (owner) and the staff (local & foreign travelers) bring to this healthy mix of cabins, hostel, and bed and breakfast, but let's address the one issue that may cause some concern in a variety travelers.

The distance from town...IF you arrive without a vehicle then this might be an issue that would speak to you, but most definitely shouldn't exclude you from staying here. The Nauti Otter is located just before mile marker 6 and the first commercial property (PIT BAR) is located 2 miles away, while the harbor and most of the action is 4 miles away, with the main old part of town (YUKON BAR & SEALIFE CENTER) about 6 miles away. If you do not have a vehicle, then walking may or may not be an option, but there are taxis that you can call (number available in the Otter), ride a bike (available at the Otter), catch a ride in with any other guest that may be heading into town (daily), catch a ride with staff when they are conveniently headed that way (daily or possibly with a tip ;)), or hitchhike, which is very safe in Seward and uber easy when heading into town (drivers know they only have to be with a stranger for 6 miles at most ;). Coming back might be a tad bit more work (due to not knowing how far you're going), but if you bring a sign that says "Nauti Otter" or "Mile Marker 6" you will probably fare just fine.

On a more positive note, you have a choice of hostel beds, private rooms in the house, and various unique cabins out back. There are 2 bathrooms/showers, which may seem like a deficiency, but I only had to wait 15 minutes for a shower over a fairly long stay where the complex was at capacity a number of times. The coed hostel is within the house and confined to the second floor (with access to entire property), whereas the private rooms are on the ground floor and a hallway from the kitchen, etc (one has it's own door so as to conform to your hermit-style of living). All of the beds in the hostel/house/cabins are varying ranges of comfortable, with the least comfortable being well above average (just a little more firm than the others (but some like that and I don't personally mind)). The cabins are in a semi-circle out back as they revolve around the outhouse, standalone shower, sink/vanity, grill, and fire pit. There are campers and cabins of varying capacities, but all are unique, cozy, and will be a neat highlight to your trip in The Last Frontier.

The Staff are just plain cool. From the owner, Heather, who will do anything she can to make your trip enjoyable even if it means she has to take you and a group of friends out for a night on the town at Thorn's Showcase Lounge or Yukon Bar, Kim, who is always very helpful and works her butt off making sure the place runs smoothly. There will also be a mixture of traveling staff from around the world helping out where they can.

Lastly and most importantly, there are 2 very important honorable mentions in this category and they are Cal and Bucky. If you are lucky enough to run into the latter, Bucky, then you will be delighted by this character of cat. By time this is read, I'm sure he'll be even bigger and more of sweet little nutball, but he generally sleeps most the day as he is up from around 5pm to 8am hunting the various moths and mosquito-eaters let into the arena by coming and going visitors. Hug him for me...

Cal, is a character of his own. He is Heather's father and you might have the honor of sharing a conversation or a beer with this big-hearted ball of sarcasm, wit, and sass. Hug him for me too...

All in all, enjoy the free waffles, pancakes, and donuts in the morning, hike the trail up the hill behind the Otter or pick the multitude of wild berries on this property in the afternoon, and make a family dinner in either of the 2 full kitchens or sit by the fire outback (or in the living room) with genuine people in a genuine setting...

-Jesse

Room Tip: Sourdough is the coziest/neatest cabin, Hobbit Hole is the best Hostel bed (room), Siren's has a separate private entrance.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

I spent 2 nights in the Sourdough Cabin. I've been in Alaska dry cabins before and Nauti Otter met my expectations. Heather is very nice and helpful. She arranged for my Seward boat trip and her list of things to do on the way down from Anchorage was well done. If you are ok with walking to the bathroom and want a fun experience I recommend the Nauti Otter.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Steven H
Reviewed 1 August 2016

I went to the Nauti Otter twice in the past couple weeks, once with my sister and another time with my best friend and we all just loved it! We stayed in both the Humpback Shack and the Lumberjack Shack and found each to be a blast. I would say that the Humpback Shack had the more comfortable beds but the Lumberjack Shack was really well organized the shelves inside helped us to put away our stuff each night and just enjoy the place. I got an amazing night's sleep in both but more importantly enjoyed the set up immensely! I'm actually going back next week for more! The place just felt so relaxed, the people working there were so nice and helpful, it was easy to feel at home there. They made it so easy to get in and get set-up before heading out on a hike or out on the town, it was so convenient! I could spend all my time looking around at all the funny little books and pictures in the house. I think for family visiting Alaska, it is just the right place to bring them for the true Alaskan Experience!! Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2016