“Fun but Below Average Result”

Alaska Northern Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: World Class Fishing Charters out of Seward, Alaska. Fish aboard Seward's most comfortable, fastest, and largest fishing vessel the M/V Sea Quest with renown Captain Sean. Take advantage of the companion deal for $95 and target trophy size halibut, salmon, and rockfish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun but Below Average Result”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The day started off at 7:00 am with 20+ anglers and companion fares for a combo trip. Silvers were slow so the Captain decided to fish for halibuts, cod and rock fish. The Sea Quest is a very nice boat with a heated cabin and “marine head.” Captain Sean and Deckhand Miles greeted everyone and the SQ began its 2.5 hours trek to the first fishing hole. The action was very, very slow with only three fish (one small halibut, one lingcod and 1 rock fish) caught in the first two hours.

Sensing everyone’s frustration, Sean decided to move to the second fishing hole. After a 30 minutes trek, fishing started again. Two more halibuts (one 70+ lbs), a lingcod and two rock fish made it onto the boat. The action was dead once again so after about 1 ½ hr of fishing, Sean decided to go into “catching mode” instead of fishing. It was already 1:30 and we only had eight fish for 20+ anglers.

Another hour of trekking to the 3rd spot and the Captain explained that we are going after smaller halibuts. The boat quickly filled its limits with 5-10 pounders and a few 15-20 pounders. I was a bit disappointed with the size of these halibuts. I know Sean wanted to “limit out” but catching smaller halibuts just to hit the limit was not right. I guess it's better than coming back empty handed. I’ve fished the Cook Inlet and we never keep anything under 20 lbs.

We moved onto rock fish and it was another 1 hour trek to the fishing grounds. We spent the last hour on rock fish and everyone caught at least one. We made it back to the dock by 7:45. My GF and I ended up with less than 16 lbs (4 halibuts and 2 rock fish) of fish after Miles was done filleting them. Several other anglers were also disappointed with their catches. I would probably pick another charter the next time around. The fishing was bad (it happens) but the boat was just too crowded and too much time was spent chasing the big one. Other charters seem to have fared better judging by their fish photos at the dock. This charter did not hang the fishes on the dock like the other charters. Instead, Miles fillets and bags everything on the return trip.

The Good:

Clean boat, friendly staff, restroom, $75 companion fare, Miles was a one-man machine & good weather.

The Not so Good:

Only one deckhand, crowded fishing = tangled lines, small fish just to hit limits, too much time traveling to fishing holes, and too much time spent chasing the big one.

Final Thoughts:

The companion fare is great especially if the 2nd person is not into fishing. The boat is a bit crowded. You are literally fishing less than five feet from the next person. The tangled lines were a big frustration especially with Miles and Sean trying to bait hooks, gaff fish and untangle lines at the same time. We literally spent over half of the trip (12 hours) traveling to various fishing spots so we only fished for about 5 hours. Other boats were able to catch their limits in 2-3 spots and had far better results. Over 80% of the halibuts were less than 24 inches, yielding about 4 lbs of fillet each. I would have targeted 20-30 pounders instead of spending most of the day chasing the big one. I say it was just an average/below average trip. I suggest a smaller boat if anyone wants more interaction with the crew and catch fish at the same time.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank FishNut2012

Sioux Falls
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A great charter with a great crew”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was our first charter. Alaska Northern Outfitters did a great job from the start. Their office was very patient and helpful with all of our questions. Captain Sean and his crew worked very hard to ensure that everyone had a great experience. They were very helpful to those on the boat who were less experienced, and did not seem overbearing to those more experienced with this type of fishing.

The boat was very comfortable. There was enough indoor seating and table space for everyone in the heated cabin. There was even a television screen where the kids were able to wath a movie while we traveled to the fishing grounds.

Visited June 2012
Santa Rosa, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Captain Sean is Top Notch!”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I've been fishing with Captain Sean for the last few years and can't say enough about what a fine job he does. Captain Sean and his crew love what they do, and their enthusiasm for fishing is contagious. They work really hard to help their clients have the best fishing experience possible. They are experienced and capable, friendly and helpful. Sean and his crew know when to give tips to the inexperienced fisherman, as well as when to let the experienced fisherman alone. They maintained a clean boat, and I could tell they took pride in the upkeep of the boat.

It was fun to see people of all ages enjoy fishing; men, women, young and old. They gave personalized attention, while keeping their main focus on safety and fishing. The crew took the time to point out wildlife along the way. On a recent trip we saw orcas, porpoises, otters, humpbacks, and many bald eagles. The backdrop of snow-covered mountains and beautiful clear water made for an enhanced experience.

Sean works harder than any other Captain I've dealt with to help everyone "limit out" on their fish. I think Captain Sean gets just as excited as each and every person catching fish. I have had great fun every time I have fished with Captain sean and his crew. The receptionist, Angela, back on the dock is also very knowledgeable and helpful. She knows Seward vey well and was able to answer several questions I had about the local area, which was greatly appreciated.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Mary33055
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fishing with Captain Sean Carlin with Alaska Northern Outfitters should be added to every fishermans or fisherwomans bucket list”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Our day began with a beautiful picturesque wildlife cruise out of Seward, Alaska. First we saw mountain goats along the grassy steep cliffs that line Resurrection Bay. Then it was sea lions on a few rocks, which was followed by humpback whales. However, while the wildlife had most of the 26 people on the boat thrilled, I was excited to get to the fishing hole. Riding the monster katamaran The Seaquest, Captain Sean got us to the fishing grounds so smoothly that I was thankful for not getting beat up by the pounding of the boat like you have with many smaller boats out of Seward. So, there we were on the first "big fish" hole. Since Captain Sean told us this was our plan before we left port, we knew we were going to have to be patient if we wanted a chance at a barnyard door halibut. The bite started shortly after we were instructed to drop our lines. Quickly, a few nice 30-50 pounders were put into the fish box. Then, this little 11 year old young man, fishing while falling asleep, got slammed so hard by a big flatfish that had no plan of coming to our dinner tables. After a 20 minute battle, Ryan boated a 100 pound Alaskan halibut. We continued fishing and as the bite seemed to have slowed, Captain Sean had a plan for a second "big fish" hole. The bite was slow again, but deckhands Miles and Sam decided to drop a chum bomb to call in the fish. Soon the bite started and it was hot and heavy action with nice turkey halibut. It was at this point that Captain Sean hooked me up with a special rig, which I am pretty sure he told everyone their bait was special, I felt I had at least a good chance of getting something big. Then out of nowhere I had a big mean halibut on the line. As it peeled line of my reel I thought oh boy this is going to be a workout. After 30 minutes and one heck of a fight, boom, the fish was pulled into the boat. At the dock this fish would earn me a second place spot in the Seward Halibut Derby at 181.8 pounds. The day ended with a few more big fish in the boat, one by my old man that was about 85 pounds. When it was time to head in, most of our party crashed on the smooth ride back to Seward. In the meantime, the deckhands were busy cleaning our fish and then cleaning the boat. It was an epic trip with Captain Sean and Alaska Northern Outfitters and this adventure should be added to every fishermans and fisherwomans bucket list.

1 Thank WillyWags52
Flagler CO
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best fishing and crew ever!!!!”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Hi, I just experienced my first of many visits to Alaska. My brother lives in Wasilla and chose this charter for my halibut fishing excursion. I give him an A+++ for choosing this particular charter. Our captain Sean and his crew were helpful and friendly without being to "in charge". They made my trip even more special. Everyone caught their quota of halibut and it was a fun time for all. The boat was spotless and well kept, the receptionist in Seward was very friendly and helpful with all of my questions. I just cannot say enough good things for this outfitter.

Visited May 2012