“A disappointing stay”
Review of Harborview Inn

Harborview Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 13 July 2013

As many of the other reviewers have mentioned, the hotels in Seward are nothing special. I didn't really know what to expect when we booked here, but we reserved the family room, which had 4 bedrooms and 6 beds. When we checked in the woman at the counter told us there would be an extra fee for our children because we had exceeded the 4 person maximum. Ok. I have done a bit of traveling. I understand room occupancy, but a family room with 4 bedrooms and 6 beds has a maximum occupancy of 4? Charging for kids under 2? We had already paid extensively more for the larger unit and this just doesn't make sense to me. The staff person was forgiving and did not charge us for the children.

I will admit I was disappointed with the rooms - it's the kind of place where you don't want your bare feet to touch the floor, but I figure I can do anything for a night. The blackout curtains did not close all the way and was awoken to sun shining in my face at 5:30am and the bed linens could use an update.

The common living area was clean and comfortable and the kitchen/dining area were adequate. The bathrooms, however, were not well cleaned nor stocked. My husband went to give the kids a bath and pulled a long hunk of hair out of the shower drain. Honestly, I almost threw up. It was gross. I went in to the office to speak with the staff person and she basically said there was nothing she could do aside from giving me my deposit back if we wanted to go elsewhere. It was frustrating to have no one on-site to give it a clean-over. Additionally, there was mold all over the tiles and my Sister-in-law found clothes in one of the drawers.

As a parent there are a couple of safety concerns: there are 4 outside-leading doors to the suite - one of which is upstairs next to the room with two twin beds (a kids room, right?). My 4 yo had no problem opening the door and it made me very nervous that he could get out if he awoke in the night. Also, as I was getting ready in the morning, my daughter (1 1/2) was opening the bathroom cabinet doors and it turns out that's where they store all of the cleaning supplies. It's just not super kid-friendly.

This is not the worst hotel that ever was, that is for sure, but I was really disappointed by it. We had originally been considering renting a private home in Seward for the evening and I wish I had taken that route (vrbo or airbnb). The pride of ownership was certainly lacking in this establishment.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank danasignsup
There are newer reviews for Harborview Inn

Reviewed 17 June 2013

All of the hotels are pretty casual in Seward, a really lovely town with breathtaking views of the sea and the mountains and plenty to do with great restaurants for casual dining (Chinooks is the best) and quaint art shops for browsing. You won't find luxury in Seward, so get ready to settle for clean. As for this hotel, the pros: super friendly management, hot coffee in the morning, good value compared to other Seward hotels. The cons: the rooms are small but sufficient (the photos of the rooms I saw online were taken with a fisheye camera, making the room look bigger than it is because the foot of the bed is really a matter of 18" from the dresser and there is little room after adding luggage), the curtains don't block out the 24-hour June sun and the walls are paper thin so you can hear just about every word your neighbor speaks. Also, note that the Harborview has no view of the harbor, though there is a view of the water if you look over and past the tool rental shop with the cranes in the parking lot.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

This was nice place and the price was much better than near the harbor. Close to the harbor and in walking distance to all the shops on the Harbor. Coffee maker no breakfast here. Nice wooden deck. On the main road and Subway is just down the road handy for breakfast or lunch.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank 88farmer
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Arrived in Seward late at night with plans to go to the Aquarium in the morning. The front desk was closed but they called to arrange a late check-in when we had not gotten there in time. We found our way to the room with a provided map and had a great night sleep! Could not have asked for a nicer experience, they really went above and beyond the call.

This place was recommended to me by a co-worker who travels to Seward frequently and they were spot on. Great hotel. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I Am A Flight Attendant And Have Experienced The Best OF The Best And Worst OfThe Worst. The HarborVieW Inn Is Definitely Going Under Stay Again Places. The Staff Was Phenomenal. The Rooms Were Very Clean And Stocked With Essentials We Needed For OUr Stay. The Location Was Great. Just A Five Minute Walk ToThe Harbor Filled With Resturants And All Sorts Of Excursions. Exit Glacier Is Right Up The Road.seward Is A Small Town. Dont Expect A Hilton In This Small Town. Howeve My Experience At Harborview Inn I Couldn't Have Asked For Anything More.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank meljo1979
Reviewed 14 May 2013

You get what you pay for at Harborview Inn. The staff is friendly and the room is clean. However, there were a few things missing that would've made our stay better. The windows in our small room did not have blackout shades on them, which meant we had about 22 hours of daylight shining in our windows. It also was missing an iron and ironing board, and shampoo.

If you need a bed to sleep in (and can sleep in daylight) and that's all, Harborview might be right for you. We ended up moving to the Holiday Inn (at nearly twice the price) for the remainder of our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chuck S
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed here for three nights in July (the night before the 5 day kayak expedition) and two nights upon our return. Both times we stayed in rooms close to the office for better internet connectivity. Internet worked very well in both rooms. The accommodation was basic, but the rooms were reasonably clean and the beds comfortable. The office opens at 8AM and Mary was prompt in putting out the hot water and coffee shortly after. The free coffee and hot water in the office throughout the day was convenient, especially when we returned from the expedition on a rainy evening. The room did not have a refrigerator or a microwave, but Mary gladly stored our leftovers in the refrigerator in the office and even offered a plate next morning to microwave it. Both the downtown and harbor are at a reasonable walking distance. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and this hotel provides value for money in Seward where everything is expensive. We wanted a clean and comfortable place to spend the nights and this hotel did deliver on that.

Room Tip: If you need internet access, stay in a room closer to the office.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple