“Rundown, no harbor view”
Review of Harborview Inn

Harborview Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Seward
New York
“Rundown, no harbor view”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very disappointed. Don't let the name fool you- this place has a harbor view only if you stick your neck out the window and look past the tool rental place where they test loud equipment in the morning. This is a serviceable motel. The sink and shower had severe drainage issues. The room was barely adequately clean, and I had to request a bar of soap for the sink. No soap or shampoo. If there is anyone staying near you, you will hear their conversations, toilets flushing etc.
The motel is walking distance from both downtown and the harbor, but not actually in either area.
Depressing for the price. It's hard to believe that there are no better options in Seward.

1 Thank dhviola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 September 2013

The Harborview Inn was a quaint little hotel in Seward, AK. We stayed there after cruising Alaska from Vancouver and it was a great place to use as a launchpad for all the other nearby activities we planned to do. Downtown Seward is small, but is close by. I had a great time running in the park along the sound and everyone at the hotel was friendly. The beds were amazingly comfortable. It's great for someone looking for a basic place to stay while traveling around in Alaska. While there be sure to check out the Exit Glacier. The hike is considered moderate, but is completely and utterly worth it to be able to stand so close to one of nature's marvels.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at this location for 3 nights this September and it was excellent! The lady on the reception was lovely and very accommodating! The rooms were lovely and warm, beds super comfy and the shower was AMAZING! If you are planning a trip to Seward I would recommend this hotel whole heartedly! Great hotel for a very reasonable price!!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The location is not the greatest unless you have a car, but that’s something you opt for when you book. Now, staying in a suite where the bedroom has no window and the only cooler is an ancient fan is the best steam room simulator you can get if you stay during summer. To have a full kitchen at your disposal is nice but that’s the only thing good I can say about it. It was hot as hell; the room is adjacent to the laundry room (not a low traffic guest’s laundry room but the hotel staff’s), so the engine noise was constant. The TV is in the ‘no window’ bedroom so I couldn’t enjoy it in the kitchen/living room area where, with all windows open, the temperature was at least bearable. To end the review, bathroom is tiny. Now, imagine paying R$180 a night for this nightmare. Don’t even consider, at least the “C street Apartment” suite.

Room Tip: Stay far far away from the C street apartment
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FredBueno

Travellers are raving about these Seward hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2013

OK - Let's start by saying that this is Alaska and that the hotel season is very limited to the time the tourists *(especially for the cruise ships) are in town, The hotel is located within walking distance of downtown and close to the harbor (but not within an easy walking distance for cruise passengers and there is no shuttle so you would need a taxi). The hotel is two story so if you have mobility problems or don't want to lug your suitcases upstairs, ask for a downstairs room when you make your reservation. The rooms are very low frills but functional. The sink is located in the bedroom area so it makes it easy for one person to shower while the other uses the sink. The walls of the hotel are VERY thin.....you can hear when the person next door takes a shower, etc. so if noise bothers you, bring ear plugs. A small coffee pot was available in the room. Our room was clean (and I did check the bed carefully). When we stayed (prior to a cruise), the room was expensive ($ 180) and we did question if it was really worth the price but we were glad to be in Seward and close to the cruise ship docks.

If I had to stay here again, I would but I would probably look at other Seward options first.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

A friend and I stayed the nights ok July 3 & 4 this year, to watch the Mt Marathon race and take part in other festivities in town. The Harborview Inn ended up being a great location for us because it is about half way between the harbor and the downtown area - but a bit of a walk to both. It was pretty quiet and definitely not in the middle of all the partying going on downtown.

The room was pretty average, but clean, spacious and comfy. No complaints at all on the room, but it was a typical "motel room" unlike all of the other rooms with more character that we stayed in during our 10 day AK trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 July 2013

As many of the other reviewers have mentioned, the hotels in Seward are nothing special. I didn't really know what to expect when we booked here, but we reserved the family room, which had 4 bedrooms and 6 beds. When we checked in the woman at the counter told us there would be an extra fee for our children because we had exceeded the 4 person maximum. Ok. I have done a bit of traveling. I understand room occupancy, but a family room with 4 bedrooms and 6 beds has a maximum occupancy of 4? Charging for kids under 2? We had already paid extensively more for the larger unit and this just doesn't make sense to me. The staff person was forgiving and did not charge us for the children.

I will admit I was disappointed with the rooms - it's the kind of place where you don't want your bare feet to touch the floor, but I figure I can do anything for a night. The blackout curtains did not close all the way and was awoken to sun shining in my face at 5:30am and the bed linens could use an update.

The common living area was clean and comfortable and the kitchen/dining area were adequate. The bathrooms, however, were not well cleaned nor stocked. My husband went to give the kids a bath and pulled a long hunk of hair out of the shower drain. Honestly, I almost threw up. It was gross. I went in to the office to speak with the staff person and she basically said there was nothing she could do aside from giving me my deposit back if we wanted to go elsewhere. It was frustrating to have no one on-site to give it a clean-over. Additionally, there was mold all over the tiles and my Sister-in-law found clothes in one of the drawers.

As a parent there are a couple of safety concerns: there are 4 outside-leading doors to the suite - one of which is upstairs next to the room with two twin beds (a kids room, right?). My 4 yo had no problem opening the door and it made me very nervous that he could get out if he awoke in the night. Also, as I was getting ready in the morning, my daughter (1 1/2) was opening the bathroom cabinet doors and it turns out that's where they store all of the cleaning supplies. It's just not super kid-friendly.

This is not the worst hotel that ever was, that is for sure, but I was really disappointed by it. We had originally been considering renting a private home in Seward for the evening and I wish I had taken that route (vrbo or airbnb). The pride of ownership was certainly lacking in this establishment.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family