Best Western Plus Edgewater Hotel
Taroka Inn(Seward)
Harbor 360 Hotel(Seward)
Marina Motel(Seward)
View Hotel
All reviewssea life centerstreet parkingbest westernsbay view roomsmall balconypartial viewinside roomroom was cleanresurrection baynice hotelshuttle serviceair conditionerhotel shuttlefree breakfastthe breakfast areacruise shiptrain station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Typically I do not use Best Western but had hoped this one would be decent. It is very outdated to say the least. Our room was listed as "partial bay view" which consists of stretching around a tiny balcony and seeing the bay through a small opening in the trees. What is really disgusting is the real view is a nasty, dilapidated house below! The staff at the front desk was always
playing with cell phones, and not overly enthusiastic. The breakfast cooking in the morning smells awful in the room and looked bad. Pastries were stale and eating area is extremely crowded. One person working it could not keep up yet other staff at front desk were not very busy and could have helped. WiFi was ridiculous, had to keep signing on over and over. I would suggest looking hard for a nice b@b if making a stop in Seward. This place is not worth the high price.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ksflorida
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Clean, quiet and comfortable. Not much more can be asked for in a hotel. The people at the front desk were always smiling and quick to ask if there was anything they could do for us and even the manager stopped by and asked if we were having a nice trip. One block in one direction and we were walking up and down the street looking at the shops and buying ice cream along the way and then a block the other way and we were strolling along the water on the way to the harbor where we took a half day long cruise. Then back to a relaxing stay in the hotel. In the morning is a nice little breakfast. I usually only have coffee in the morning but couldn't resist some of their other treats. What the heck! It was a vacation. My wife had muffins and tea and we were both happy. Don't miss the Iditaride either. The Iditarod dogs are terrific.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here in August 2013 but booked the previous March as I was advised that hotels sell out quickly in Seward July/August. Was glad I did as that was correct. The hotels in the area were completely booked - hence the ability to charge outrageous prices per night. Parking was conveniently located right outside the hotel despite some earlier postings to the contrary. I requested that I be placed in the room next to my dad as he is elderly and I would need to check in on him. BW Edgewater did honor that request for which I was very grateful. There is an available shuttle every hour between the hotel and the downtown harbor so no need to drive around looking for parking spaces. They request that you sign up the night before so stop in at the front desk to put your name on the list. The rooms are typical hotels rooms (nothing bad but nothing special either) but I found the front desk people very friendly & helpful with complimentar breakfast being a convenient location and a small step above a "continental" breakfast. I loved the location as it was right outside Resurrection Bay and across from the Alaska Sea Life Center. Easy walking distance to a few fun bars and restaurants.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Comfortable hotel with great views over the bay (ask for a front room with view) great pictures throughout the hotel by local artist Dot Bardarson. Free use of computer. Full buffet breakfast. Would recomend this hotel. Slightly marred by miserable receptionist at check in, and the fact that our room was cleaned until after 5pm the 2 mornings we were there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 8 September 2013

First of all, thanks Tori for getting our bags and picking us up from the train depot. However, we are so sorry for inconveniencing the rest of the staff of the Best Western Edgewater Hotel. What a burden we must have been while giving them money in exchange for an ice cave cum sweat lodge to sleep in.

Our first mistake was walking in the door of this fine establishment while they were engaged in important work such as staring into the distance, avoiding guests, and discussing where to get takeout for dinner that night. Also, I was unaware that the first thing they teach you in the hospitality business is not to greet the guests when they walk in but bellow at them, "DO YOU HAVE ANY BAGS TO STORE HERE WHILE YOU WAIT TO CHECK IN?"

After checking our bags, our obsequious front desk attendant informed us that our rooms were not yet ready but could be any time between then (11am) and 5 hours from then. At this time we were given permission to call the front desk to inquire about our rooms' state of readiness, quel service! I am so pleased the hard worker at the desk didn't have to lift an index finger to call me instead. Dialing fingers at the ready, we left to explore the Alaska SeaLife Center, get lunch, and manhandle the tchotchkes of Seward's main drag.

When our rooms had been chilled to the right temperature and spit shined by two stressed-out housekeepers (and not a moment before 4pm), one of the four overachievers slumped over the front desk let me know it was my turn to do some work so I requested that our bags be retrieved from cold-storage. With the haste of an over-nourished sled dog, a staff member lurched across the lobby with luggage cart in tow. So as not to embarrass me with her overly attentive efforts in my service, she avoided all eye contact. Once she ditched our bags in the middle of the lobby I was free to haul the full cart to our rooms on the first and third floors.

Once I stashed my family members in their room and got to my very own ice box on the ground floor, I asked them to check out the heating apparatus due to the fact that I could see my breath. "Did you turn on the thermostat?" "Why yes, it was set at 75 upon arrival." "Is the air conditioner running?" Ha, surely this was some Alaskan joke that I just don't get. Anyway, I thank them for the chance to practice my patience as we waited to see if it would fix itself. When it didn't, a handyman arrived and got it working in about two minutes. Thanks repair guy, maybe you should staff the front desk instead, or maybe not. . .

As steady as the nearby glacier has retreated over the years, the temperature in my room began the climb to tropical levels. As the guide books say, Alaska is a land of microclimates! Rather than disturb the staff's busy Facebook browsing schedule again, I just decided to open my window so that I could be lulled to sleep to the dulcet tones of Rihanna, The Beastie Boys, Katy Perry, and The Black Eyed Peas belching from the club across the way.

The next morning, after dreaming of something gone horribly awry in my own kitchen, I woke to smell someone serving portions food approximant to the humans in the lobby. I opted out and went to the Sea Bean Cafe just a block away and then on for the day's adventures. That afternoon I arrived to find my room had been altered but in no way "housekept." The rumpled sheets were rumpled in a somewhat tidy fashion but that was about it. I can only guess it was due to the hellish temperature of the room's interior, no sane housekeeper would have stayed in there much longer than it would take to fold the toilet paper into those cute little points. I stopped, dropped, and rolled to the window and opened it again for some fresh air. Just a warning to future guests, remember to touch the knobs first, just to see if fire lurks behind closed doors, and like some of the staff members, the thermostat is really just there for show.

If I could sum up my experience at the Best Western Edgewater Hotel in Seward, I would say it was pretty awful. Thanks Best Western Edgewater, I've learned so much about why I don't stay at the Best Western. See ya never!

TL;DR: Service abysmal, room (see previous). Give this one a wide berth unless free internet is the only thing that matters to you.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family