All reviewssea life centerstreet parkingbest westernsbay viewsmall balconyroom was cleaninside roompartial viewwater viewdowntown restaurantshotel shuttlebiscuits and gravyfree breakfastshuttle servicedecent breakfastthe breakfast areahotel is located
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff has been extremely helpful and friendly. The room is average, lacks AC but the hotel provides a fan in the room. There are limited hotels in the Seward area. The Best Western is one of the best places to stay. It is located by the bay. If possible book in advance to get a room with an ocean view. The hotel is pricey, but typical for many Alaskan towns. It may not be a good value for your money, in terms of amenities or ambiance, but it is a clean friendly place that is quiet. We used our rewards to get a free night the last time we stayed there.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Gabrielle T
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'd give it 3 for the hotel itself and 1 star for the view. Room is lovely with a balcony facing the bay, and we could just stay in the room and enjoy the view for a whole day. Lots of breakfast selections. Some of the staff are very nice and helpful and some are not. TV is not easy to use and wifi is painful having to input password dozens of times a day.

Room Tip: Room 309 has great view
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was the most expensive hotel of a two week vacation in AK including very nice hotels in Denali and highly rated hotels in Anchorage. In fact, this was one of the worst hotels of my long, well-traveled life. I feel totally ripped off.. The room was shockingly teensy. The bathroom sink was literally fwo feet from the bed. There were no toiletries, only dispensers (and the shower gel was empty). The towels were sandpaper.The Wifi was intermittent. My "mountain view" overlooked a parking lot. When I arrived the heat was on in the room and to cool it down, I turned on the AC which was really really loud - it was impossible to sleep with it on so I opened the window. It got Very noisy after midnight when people returned from the bars. I asked at the desk whether all the rooms were so small and laid out similarily .Tthe sniippy woman at the desk assured me that every room is identical- so DO NOT STAY HERE if you value space or wish to sleep at a distance from the sink or care to use it privately. In the morning I awoke to cooking smells at 6:30 - very strong and unpleasant. at 8:30 I tried to go to breakfast and there were at least 50 children milling about the room plus many adult visitors I could not get close to any food and there was no where to sit at all. Not a single seat was available and it was loud and chaotic. There was ONE toaster and One waffle maker for all those people and the generous Best Western served half bananas to its guest (perhaps they didn't pay as much as I but if you only knew how much,, a half of a browned banana is an insult) The good points - lots of tv channels and starbucks coffee in the single serve maker (but somehow it tasted like chemicals and was undrinkable) I was...very disappointed, and I I feel cheated.. Shame on this dump for exorbitant rates for sub-par accomodations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank Mary Sue D
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed for two nights at the Edgewater Hotel in July 2014 and had a first floor room facing the bay. Not the best view, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, had we been on any of the higher floors, the view would have been fantastic!! The microwave came in handy for heating up leftovers for lunch following a large dinner at Ray's Waterfront which we highly recommend. The breakfast was ok, your usual continental. The hotel is an easy walk to the bay and to the Alaska SeaLife Center making it a great location to stay in. We caught a shuttle from the front door to the Exit Glacier trail ($10.00 round trip) and was able to walk right up to the glacier. The Seward Brewing Company is also just a short walk away and it was a delightful place to have lunch or dinner, don't miss it.

Room Tip: You want a room that faces the bay and preferably the 2nd floor or higher.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The view from room #303 is astounding: water and mountains everywhere you look. Added to it are Zudy's Cafe and the Alaska Sealife Center. Great walking paths along the bay. Nearby trails into the mountains. A beautiful room, with a very comfortable bed, a nice sofa, a good desk, and a lovely deck.

All of the above are six-stars. This makes up for the sub-par breakfast operation. While the employee who manages the breakfast area is great (she works very, very hard and is very nice) the food is motel typical - no different than what I have found in small town motels in the Midwest.

Kudos to the van drivers, who are extremely helpful and nice. We very much appreciated the rides to and from the Alaska Railroad station. We also appreciated the great service provided by the hotel staff in dealing with the lack of heat the first, cold night. Housekeeping staff did a great job.

The Best Western Plus is right on the bay, and in a very nice area of the Seward Downtown area. Minor shortcomings. If making a return trip to Seward this is were I would stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go ahead and spend a bit more to get one of the rooms with a view of the bay. The view was outstanding.