“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Excellent hotel! They have a free shuttle that picks you up and drops you off at popular spots. They also have free dvd rental, a lodge with a fire place, computers, cafe and a fantastic bar and restaurant. All of the locals eat at the restaurant and there are several local beers on tap. If you have time you really should do their $29 Exit Glacier Tour. You could visit the glacier on your own but their tour really is superb. I walked away feeling I learned and saw more for $29 dollars than I thought I would my whole time in Seward. This was the highlight of our trip. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sorrmar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The rooms should be half price. I stayed at their sister hotel in Talkeetna and paid less than what I did here. It's 2.5 stars at best at a 4 star price!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank nicholsondmd
Nickhammond, Manager at Seward Windsong Lodge, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Thank you for your comment on Trip advisor. Room rates in Alaska are higher due to our location and seasonality. That being said I would like to know more about your room experience. Please contact me at nhammond@ciri.com.
Many Thanks.
Nick Hammond
General manager
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I selected Seward Windsong Lodge based on the relatively high reviews the property received on Trip Advisor versus other area hotels. That said, this was a disappointing selection for me (and I am one to heavily research before committing to itineraries and accommodations).

The hotel is located a distance from Seward proper, along a riverbed and not far from the Exit Glacier Visitor Center. The property is very appealing from the road with classic lodge design including fieldstone, wood, and expansive windows. The building housing the lobby was very nice and, indeed, the lobby was nicely in tune with its location. The grounds were nice and created a nice atmosphere for relaxing.

The lodging itself was contained in numerous “motel” style structures. Their appearance was definitely of higher quality than most motels with deep wood tones and some pseudo-rustic design features. The disappointment was with the rooms themselves.

I understand “rustic”. I understand “understated”. I understand “simple”. I understand “minimal”. None of these words accurately describes the guest room we stayed in (in the Salmonberry building). The words that best describes the quality of the bed, design, and décor is “cheap”, “uninspired”, “bland”, and “underwhelming”. The beds were uncomfortable and, because the head of the bed felt lower than the foot of the bed, I ended up sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed. (This was a first for me in all my years of travel).

The walls were beige as were the faux rustic headboards and abysmal furniture. It is clear that they did not engage a professional interior design firm. How the owner’s approved this design and decor is beyond me.

My disappointment is not purely aesthetic. The cheap building materials also contribute to a noise level that is unacceptable at the prices this place demands. I’ve had hotel experiences where I’ve heard a toilet flush here or there. In this hotel, I actually could here other guests peeing. Every time a sink was used I heard it. When the hot water heater kicked in, I heard it. The schedule of my three days here was dictated by the time that the guests on either side of our room decided to get up in the morning.

Looking at the photos of this property, as compared to others, one has the impulse to see it as head and shoulders above the rest. This is not a “quiet” “out of the way” lodge. It is a major bus drop off for the cruise crowd. Compared to the Earthsong Lodge by Denali National Park and the Kennicott Glacier Lodge in Wrangell-St.Elias National Park, the was three steps down (though more expensive than either).

On the plus side, the food at the restaurant wasn’t terrible and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BrooklynRider
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We only got to stay one night and wished we could have stayed longer. This hotel is on beautiful grounds somewhat outside of the small city of Seward. There is a shuttle available to take you into the city so that isn't a problem. Our room was quite large for the 3 of us and very comfortable. It was also very peaceful and quiet with plenty of opportunities to take a walk for just sit on one of the porches and read. We were able to walk to the Salmon Bake for a great dinner and had a really good breakfast in the dining room. I had salmon that they had cured right there at the hotel with a bagel and cream cheese - excellent!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Near exit glacier, outside of town, a nice hotel with good sized rooms. Not much of a view from bedrooms. Resurrection restaurant was good for breakfast, but not dinner. On a 14 night trip we only had 2 bad meals - and this was one. My husband and I had "fish and chips." both fish and fries tasted as they had been deep frozen and where very, very dry. Frozen halibut in Alaska is unforgivable. The meal was also very expensive.
So stay, have the buffet breakfast but have dinner in town.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2010

Our 'deluxe' room included a balcony that you couldn't see 10 feet off of. We were looking into a very thick forest. For the extra $30 a night and the hype of a balcony we figured it would have some sort of view! We felt we got ripped off there. The beds were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever attempted to sleep on! We stayed there 3 nights and would have moved to a different lodge/hotel but everything in Seward was full. The lodge is setup to be a nice place but it fell short. The restaraunt was very good and worth a visit. The rooms were clean and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank Okpeople
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at the Windsong and I was again very impressed! The rooms are nicely decorated, extremely clean, very quiet and spacious. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The Resurrection Roadhouse restaurant and bar offer by far the best food in town. The menu is extensive and unique, and the portions are generous.

This is a great place for relaxation or as a base for exploring Seward!

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple