“Great Hotel and Restaurant in unexpected location”

and 1 more site!
Seward Windsong Lodge
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We stays at the Seward Windsong Lodge as part of our Holland America Alaska Cruise Tour. Since we were not in charge of hotels (we are generally independent travelers), we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. We need a ADA accessible room with a roll in shower and our room was among the best we have had in this category. Hotel is made up of a number of buildings spread out on the property. Ours was very close to the main lobby and all are within walking distance of the restaurant.
The staff was exceptionally helpful and the shuttle service was great. We had a need to see a physician (actually a P.A.) in town and the shuttle driver took us to the office, picked us up after our appt., took us to the Safeway to have the prescription filled, waited for us and took us back to the hotel.
For the other guests, the shuttle was available for transfer to town. (The hotel is a bit outside of town.).
We thought we would need the shuttle to get to the restaurants in town, but the restaurant on site was great. Much better than expected for such a, relatively, remote location. We ended up eating there twice. The food is very creative and tasty. The wine list was exceptional as was the Alaskan beer selection.
As we were on the the first Cruise Tour of the season, beware that only a few of the staff had local knowledge (most were just up for the season.) However, there was always someone available with local knowledge (like where to find a physician.)
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel and the co-located restaurant (Resurrection).
As the hotel was part of our pre-booked tour, I can't comment on the hotel rates but the Restaurant was reasonable for what we received.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2011

We loved our room, very "log cabin -ish" and the space was very comfortable. The deck overlooked the forest which was nice & peaceful. We even slept with the sliding door open and it was perfect. The staff in the main lodge were all super friendly and attentive. We ended up requesting to change rooms due to our neighbors/guests and they did it with no problem whatsoever. It is so beautiful there with gorgeous views ever where you look. Very close to Exit Glacier which was a great hike prior to enjoying the great food in their restaurant. Be prepared for the high cost to eat out there. He were a bit shocked. Fish & chips in town was $25 - you would think since it's caught fresh there that it would be less, but no. We had $20 nachos! Everything is really good, but expensive. We ended up going to the Safeway grocery store to buy breakfast, lunch & snack items to save. Be sure to visit the Sealife Center in town. It is well worth the ticket price. The lodge has a free shuttle back & forth to town which is great. We also took advantage of a day cruise trip which was amazing! It was the cruise line connected to the lodge, ask the front desk about bookings. It is well worth it. As far as we are concerned, the Seward Windsong Lodge is the only place to stay in Seward!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Excellent hotel! They have a free shuttle that picks you up and drops you off at popular spots. They also have free dvd rental, a lodge with a fire place, computers, cafe and a fantastic bar and restaurant. All of the locals eat at the restaurant and there are several local beers on tap. If you have time you really should do their $29 Exit Glacier Tour. You could visit the glacier on your own but their tour really is superb. I walked away feeling I learned and saw more for $29 dollars than I thought I would my whole time in Seward. This was the highlight of our trip. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank sorrmar
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The rooms should be half price. I stayed at their sister hotel in Talkeetna and paid less than what I did here. It's 2.5 stars at best at a 4 star price!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank nicholsondmd
Nickhammond, Manager at Seward Windsong Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

Thank you for your comment on Trip advisor. Room rates in Alaska are higher due to our location and seasonality. That being said I would like to know more about your room experience. Please contact me at nhammond@ciri.com.
Many Thanks.
Nick Hammond
General manager

Reviewed 22 September 2010

I selected Seward Windsong Lodge based on the relatively high reviews the property received on Trip Advisor versus other area hotels. That said, this was a disappointing selection for me (and I am one to heavily research before committing to itineraries and accommodations).

The hotel is located a distance from Seward proper, along a riverbed and not far from the Exit Glacier Visitor Center. The property is very appealing from the road with classic lodge design including fieldstone, wood, and expansive windows. The building housing the lobby was very nice and, indeed, the lobby was nicely in tune with its location. The grounds were nice and created a nice atmosphere for relaxing.

The lodging itself was contained in numerous “motel” style structures. Their appearance was definitely of higher quality than most motels with deep wood tones and some pseudo-rustic design features. The disappointment was with the rooms themselves.

I understand “rustic”. I understand “understated”. I understand “simple”. I understand “minimal”. None of these words accurately describes the guest room we stayed in (in the Salmonberry building). The words that best describes the quality of the bed, design, and décor is “cheap”, “uninspired”, “bland”, and “underwhelming”. The beds were uncomfortable and, because the head of the bed felt lower than the foot of the bed, I ended up sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed. (This was a first for me in all my years of travel).

The walls were beige as were the faux rustic headboards and abysmal furniture. It is clear that they did not engage a professional interior design firm. How the owner’s approved this design and decor is beyond me.

My disappointment is not purely aesthetic. The cheap building materials also contribute to a noise level that is unacceptable at the prices this place demands. I’ve had hotel experiences where I’ve heard a toilet flush here or there. In this hotel, I actually could here other guests peeing. Every time a sink was used I heard it. When the hot water heater kicked in, I heard it. The schedule of my three days here was dictated by the time that the guests on either side of our room decided to get up in the morning.

Looking at the photos of this property, as compared to others, one has the impulse to see it as head and shoulders above the rest. This is not a “quiet” “out of the way” lodge. It is a major bus drop off for the cruise crowd. Compared to the Earthsong Lodge by Denali National Park and the Kennicott Glacier Lodge in Wrangell-St.Elias National Park, the was three steps down (though more expensive than either).

On the plus side, the food at the restaurant wasn’t terrible and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank BrooklynRider
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We only got to stay one night and wished we could have stayed longer. This hotel is on beautiful grounds somewhat outside of the small city of Seward. There is a shuttle available to take you into the city so that isn't a problem. Our room was quite large for the 3 of us and very comfortable. It was also very peaceful and quiet with plenty of opportunities to take a walk for just sit on one of the porches and read. We were able to walk to the Salmon Bake for a great dinner and had a really good breakfast in the dining room. I had salmon that they had cured right there at the hotel with a bagel and cream cheese - excellent!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Near exit glacier, outside of town, a nice hotel with good sized rooms. Not much of a view from bedrooms. Resurrection restaurant was good for breakfast, but not dinner. On a 14 night trip we only had 2 bad meals - and this was one. My husband and I had "fish and chips." both fish and fries tasted as they had been deep frozen and where very, very dry. Frozen halibut in Alaska is unforgivable. The meal was also very expensive.
So stay, have the buffet breakfast but have dinner in town.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple