“Not as great as advertised”

Seward Windsong Lodge
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Its a rustic lodge nestled in the woods. By no means luxurious but just ok . Close to EXIT Glacier. Dont go on hotel bus-they charge $28.00 to take you 8 miles -use your own car. Fair service. Can get very hot and stuffy in the rooms. Resurrection river is across from the lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AIWIW
There are newer reviews for Seward Windsong Lodge

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This lodge is comprised of 15 or so two-story buildings, each having about 10 rooms. The buildings are nestled in the woods and wildly spaced apart. My room was large and very comfortable. The grounds of the lodge are nice for walking. The lodge is just across a road from the Resurrection River, which is an easy, easy walk.

I had dinner in the Resurrection Roadhouse Restaurant it was ok (probably my bad choice); breakfast was very good. The restaurant is situated in its own building and has beautiful views across the River. It is easy to get the Windsong shuttle into Seward for other dining options.

The Windsong staff was wonderful, they went out of their way to help us with questions and some details. The Windsong has a free shuttle (mentioned above) that makes hourly trips into downtown Seward (until late in the evening), with stops at the grocery store and various places like the main harbor and Sea Life Center. They also offer guided hikes at Exit Glacier (up the road a few miles), I don’t know if this costs $, but suspect it does at least because of the Park entrance fee.

Room Tip: Be sure to walk along the Resurrection River!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary S
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We also stayed here only one night and wished we had stayed longer. It's a beautiful rustic Lodge. The room was nice, quiet and a good size. The staff was very helpful and shuttled us to town and back. The lodge was nice with a computer station to use to print out our return flight tickets. We ate at the Resurrection restaurant for breakfast and it was good but expensive. I'd eat in town.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was a wonderful experience! From check-in and the great woman working the desk, to the room, the layout of the property...everything was A-1. My room was in the Poppy lodge, one of several buildings scattered about in the heavily wooded property. The room was large and very comfortable, very quiet.

It's not within walking distance of the harbor area or the downtown, but that doesn't matter at all! They run a shuttle continuously from 7 AM to 10 PM, making stops in the downtown area, at the SeaLife Center, at the harbor area. It was perfect and I even though I had a car, I didn't bother using it.

The woman at the front desk was so great! She even remembered my name the next day as I walked to the restaurant on the property. The restaurant is comfortable with a good menu; not a lot of choices but what they do offer covers a wide range of foods, so something for everyone. The bar/lounge area was a great place to go for a drink at the end of the day. Very cozy and friendly.

I would definitely stay here if I ever come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Stayed at the Windsong for one night and it's definitely a rustic place, but I guess that's what one should expect while travelling in Alaska. The rooms were clean and the bed good. Friendly staff and average food.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We only stayed one night, but I wished we had planned for more. I booked the Windsong primarily because the Park Connection bus from Denali stopped there and I thought it would be easier than some of the other options...but very glad I did. The room was pretty basic, but clean and functional. The door of the room looked out onto AMAZING views, but the window in the room looked out into a forested area...I thought that was odd...usually hotels make the most of their views. The hotel pictures online don't do it justice. I thought it was much more attritive and up-to-date in person than what I expected based on photos. We were also pretty impressed by the service. We had planned two morning excursions before getting on our cruise ship and I was concerned about how we would manage luggage...the hotel tagged our luggage and got it to the cruise ship for us with no effort on our part. It was wonderful! I think they have a lot of cruisetours through the cruiselines stay at there and just threw out bags in with the others, but it was an unexpected bonus for us.

Their shuttle service was also very useful. We did an early morning Exit Glacier exit through the hotel and then took the shuttle into town. The driver was great about helping us get a taxi for a ride to Lowell Point. It just seemed like everyone we interacted with from the hotel went above and beyond. AND, probably the best part for my husband was the great views and photo ops right accross the road...he spent a couple hours exploring and taking photos!

We ate both dinner and breakfast in the Resurrection Roadhouse and enjoyed it. We'd had so many fancy-ish meals already and were about to get on a cruise ship, so we opted to eat in the bar and enjoyed the more casual atmosphere...and I still remember the yummy muffins from the breakfast buffet!

We would definitely stay at the Windsong Lodge again!

1  Thank 750kimc750
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I had read a lot of reviews about this hotel before our trip. I can appreciate the reviews very much, as this hotel did not disappoint. Our family of 5 got a suite which was incredibly spacious. We had plenty of room to relax and sleep, as well as for our luggage. The room had a lovely Alaskan feel to it, and when you stepped outside the room, there was a gorgeous mountain view.

We noticed the room did not have an iron, but we called the front desk and someone quickly delivered one to the room. Also, being from Texas, we looked for the A/C after unloading our luggage. There was no A/C, but once we opened the windows, there was a lovely and brisk breeze.

The bathroom was a real plus for us - it was extremely large and there was a spacious garden tub/jacuzzi. Of the 3 hotels we stayed at during our 10 day Alaskan vacation, this was definitely our favorite. I would love to revisit this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family