Sauerdough Lodging
Hotel Seward(Seward)
Taroka Inn(Seward)
Marina Motel(Seward)
View Hotel
All reviewssea beansunrise suitecoffee shop downstairssea life centerlight bulbsclaw tubbaked oatmealgreat locationsmall apartmentshuttle stopfull kitchenwithin walking distancein towndowntown sewardseparate bedroombed was comfortablenice room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I just happened upon this place while searching online. They seemed surprised I found them at the time - they were still redecorating and didn't think they had any listings out there. I booked it as soon as I saw it because it was one of the few places with room for my family of 6 available on the 4th of July. I was going to be running Mount Marathon and this place was IDEAL. It is right at the starting line and you can sit in the windows of apartment one and watch all of the racers as they head into the finish line. The night before the race, it was hard to sleep because there were people yelling up and down the street and the crews were moving the concrete barriers into place for the next day - but for the location on race day, it was totally worth it! I probably couldn't have slept anyway - I was too nervous! The room is so cute. These people have an eye for decorating! The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The owners were awesome and took care of the things we needed. They were also fun to talk to. To the people who thought it was weird that there is no one there when you check in - the owners run the Sea Bean cafe downstairs and on 4th of July weekend, I don't think they had even a second to THINK, much less chat with us while we checked in. But, when we needed something, they were on it. I would stay there again and again if I had an excuse. My kids loved it too.

Room Tip: Apartment number 1 is awesome, but they all look great in the pictures.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Erin B
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The owners have done a wonderful job restoring this old building. It has some quirks, but the old charm and the location outweighs them. Everything is in walking distance, and the view from our window was beautiful. If you are looking for a run of the mill hotel this place is not for you. But if you want to see a piece of Seward history it is a must see.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 17 September 2013

An interesting place with definite charm! The small apartment we had was sufficient for the three of us (parents and young teen) as far as size.

The living area had a bed and a pull out sofa. There was also a chair and ottoman which we only used to put our suitcase on because it was covered in hair. The floor was dusty, possibly not swept before our stay? The kitchen was nicely equipped for a short stay and everything appeared clean in there (I still washed the couple of pieces we used because of the hair/dust/dirt found in the living area).

There was a wet-dog type of smell in the apartment when we checked in. I called the management (very responsive the times we called them) and they apologized--but without any resolution offered. I had a scented spray with us and used that throughout the stay. It was helpful again in the evenings when cigarette smoke was wafting in from somewhere. Possibly there's a smoking area near the building itself or it was from occupants in other apts.

The bath was also charming with built in cabinets (several of the doors couldn't be used/couldn't be opened with regular effort so we didn't force anything and risk damage), a claw foot tub, sink and toilet. The 'interesting' thing about the tub was that it was open to a clear window behind it. I spotted the doors from a neighboring apartment to a rooftop area. I just used a towel and hanger to block the window view while the shower was used. The tub was older and clearly worn but came cleaner with a bit of our effort before we used it. Questionable water pressure and temperature isn't always unexpected with an older property. The temperature changes were so extreme though! I learned that there would be a change in water pressure directly before a drop or increase in temperature and would scoot out of the way in time before being scalded or frozen.

The location is nice, within walking distance of the places 'in town' including the Sea Life Center. Breakfast coupons were included which allowed $5 off your breakfast. Drinks/coffee were good however the coupons were to be used $5 per day and did not cover both a breakfast item and drink. The benefit was that, if you wanted to redeem them, you had to spend a bit more money with their establishment. Fine, but not really a perk to have breakfast included, especially when they did not open early enough to grab breakfast before leaving for an early boat trip. Staff there were also always helpful and friendly.

In looking for a place in Seward itself/in town, this appeared to be one of the nicer places available. Maybe it's the area itself that doesn't lend itself to a bit better quality. People are in Seward for some adventure typically so maybe don't treat the places they stay with as much care as they would elsewhere?? An example of this -- when the manager came to bring a hairdryer to us, he told us he found that they had all been taken. He said that is why they don't leave them in the apartments themselves and that they will routinely have to replace the baking soda in the fridges as people take that with them too when they leave.

If I had the option, I would rate this more like a 2 1/2. The housekeeping issues may be resolved as they were advertising for more help when we were there. If that were the case, it would have a higher overall review! I wouldn't recommend avoiding the place at all--just come into it with expectations a bit lower.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Missy99
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This place was a great location and not bad for the price. It's older so you have to have different expectation because of that. My only real complaint was the noise from the other rooms. The family next to me sounded like they were building furniture or working on a car. Matt the manager was nice and helpful. If you picky and looking for complete silence, this may not be for you. If you go with the flow and want a great location, give it a try.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Larrylee33
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Loved our stay at the Sauerdoughlodge. Owner owns coffeeshop downstairs as well. Very nice and helpful. Apt building is definitely older and creaky but it was decorated well and kitchen was fully equiped. We are glad we stayed there. Very convenient. Don't expect to have it the feel of a B &B, it's an apt. with coupons for $$ off at the coffeeshop.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family