“Marathon View should be renamed Bates Motel”

Alaska Coastal Lodging
Alaska Coastal Lodging
Ranked #41 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Seward
Vancouver, Canada
“Marathon View should be renamed Bates Motel”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

What an incredible disappointment. Where do I begin? The moldy smell, the unwashed sheets that we feared were bedbug infested, the taped towel "curtain", the scary soiled carpet, the bathtub with disturbing brown spots, the "Marathon" view of a dumpster (complete with being woken up by the garbage truck in the morning)? How about the fact that this garage-turned-into-"condo" gem cost us $150/night?! Wish I saw these reviews and had the sense to stay away. This made a Motel 6 look five star. So scary that we didn't even dare set foot in the shower.

• Liked — Vicinity to Seward
  • Disliked — Just about everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank ersatz

Alaska
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Marathon View is conveniently located within walking distance of major Seward attractions. It had a working kitchen with a full size refrigerator and a reasonable assortment of utensils. It was also available when I needed a room on short notice, but this place was still no bargain. The furniture and floor coverings in the living room and kitchen were old and soiled, and a musty odor permeated the whole apartment . The cheap metal kitchen cabinets were rusty, bathroom corners and shower stall moldy. Overall, it was due for a complete remodel job many years ago.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Musty old furnishings
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
5 Thank Traveler_from_Alaska

Travellers are raving about these Seward hotels

Vancouver
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We have just returned from a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. We decided to stay in Seward for a night before boarding our ship, and chose the Marathon View Hotel because of its "reasonable" price for a "vacation condo". The Holiday Inn and Best Western were more expensive.. However, this price was hardly reasonable considering the condition of the "condo". Granted, our room had a large kitchen and living room, but the bedroom was small and the bathroom tinier than the one in our ship's cabin. There were no towel racks to hang towels, either. However, what made our experience worse was our discovery that the front door, which opened directly to the outside, wouldn't close properly and, therefore, would not lock. We had just checked in, and were going to head out for a meal when we discovered the problem, which unfortunately was just after the receptionist had left for the day (about 6:00 PM). To make matters worse, there were no phones in the room and no pay phone handy. I went running to the Seward Bus Station, where I attempted to make calls to their emergency numbers, but these proved to be long distance. I was nearly frantic, leaving my husband to try and fix the door, so the woman at the desk and a friend of hers ran back with me to the Hotel, whereby he and my husband laboured for about an hour with another resident's tools and managed to get the door to close. The next morning as we checked out, I gave a written statement to the receptionist, who was apologetic, but no official word has come from the owners. My main concern, aside from the cost and the fee we gave to the two who heloed us, is that there is no phone in the rooms, and no pay phone around. What if there had been a worse situation? We don't all carry cell phones. I wish I had read the previous reviews before I booked this accommodation. No way would I ever stay there again or recommend it to someone else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — safety problems: no phone; door didin't close and lock
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BirdloverVancouver
texas
Reviewed 12 June 2008

We arrived at 12:30 in the night and checked in to stay for 2 nights. The rooms did not look clean with the dirty green checkered carpet in the bedroom with queen bed. Then again, where do i hang my coats, there are no hangers provided and so we dumped them on a chair. We pulled the sofa bed and found the covered vellux blanket had stains, eww. Of course no clean extra sheets provided. We woke up the next day for shower and found the shower door is only supported with the top hinges, so wobbly and extra careful monitoring required when small kids are in there. we went out and came at around 6:00 to find all the sheets undone, no house keeping either. Kids wanted to watch TV, oopsy cable doesn't work. no internet service either thru the night when we tried to plan for some reservations for the next day.

This pissed me enough, i went to talk to the hotel management lady, her response for everything , "I am so sorry, I am so sorry".
The worst , she didn't even provide the hangers nor did she offer changing the stained sheets. I came to the room and had to go back and request her for clean sheets(BTW, the lady said may be the house keeping forgot to change them) and hangers, guess what, she didn't have any hangers, she got them from other rooms........

I even asked her if i could cancel my 2nd night here, but ofcourse she said the rules don't allow. I paid 175$ a night for an extra lousy service. We were expecting a decent and clean place to stay with our kids.

U want to stay here, u be the judge.

Stayed June 2008
5 Thank TexasSoup
Mason City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 August 2005

A warning to travelers booking a room at the Marathon View.

My room was booked three months in advance of our visit.
A room with a queen bed and fold out sofa.
Operators would not pick up their phone when we tried to verify our reservations, the entire week before our visit.

Upon arrival, the room they tried to give us looked like a damp Iowa root cellar with a queen size brick with a filthy, worn bedspread on it, and no fold out sofa.

When told "Well,..this is all we have." We told them we had been calling for over a week to make sure we were set. Why wouldn't anyone pick up the phone ?
The kid taking care of business said he "tried to".
Take that for what it's worth.

Then he said, "Well,..if you want to look around for another place we'll refund your charges...but it's Saturday..and everything in town is probably booked. We'll be leaving in about thirty minutes.(so you better hurry)"

We found a much better place..easily.
Went for our refund, recieved it..and as this transaction was taking place...the business phone rang...and rang...and rang.
The clerk said, "I'm not answering that."

And I said: "If you had answered the phone when we called, this B.S. could have been avoided."

He said "Sorry"

Which pretty much sums up the Marathon View.

" SORRY "

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank PatandCarol
, Operations Manager at Alaska Coastal Lodging, responded to this review, 16 August 2005
Well my apologies go out to you as I did speak with you. I did speak with this guest. When I spoke with the guest she gave me the phone number she had been trying to call which was a different number than our facilities, which is unfortunately why she never reached us. We have a 24 hour toll-free number for assistance as well as our onsite number and onsite office. Our phones ring at 2 offices at the same time so that if our onsite manager is with a customer, then another customer service representative can answer the phones as was explained to the guest. Our rooms are condo style rooms all with queen beds. The one and 2 bedrooms rooms have a queen bed in each of the bedrooms and a queen sofa sleeper in the living room. The studio (which is what you had reserved) states that it is a studio with a queen bed and a kitchen and that it accomodates 2 people. All of our rooms have been completely remodeled and are very comfortable with new furnishings including serta pillowtop mattresses (not sure how that is considered rock hard). We are a small business operator and we are in a small town. We cannot offer big city value priced hotel rooms in a small vacation town when we are offering vacation condo rentals. The guest was shown a copy of the reservation that was sent to us when the room was booked and the guest disagreed with it (even though it had the guest name and contact information). The guest was offered to provide us with a copy of your reservation that showed that the reservation was for a different kind of room and was not able to produce and still has yet to contact us again. Unfortunately some people cannot be pleased no matter what you offer and this is one of those circumstances.
We certainly have tried to resolve this issue but the guest has been unresponsive.