“Mt. Marathon”
Review of Mt. Marathon

Ranked #17 of 55 things to do in Seward
Reviewed 5 December 2013

It took me about four hours to do the hike up and back. The view at the top was really beautiful. It was a clear day and you could see the Gulf of Alaska beyond Resurrection Bay. Also views of Seward harbor and Resurrection Bay were impressive. I didn't take the Racers Trail but rather the Waterfall Trail. Beyond the waterfall, multiple trails go to the "Bowl." It's a little confusing and it's easy to waste time trying to find the best trail. Luckily, I ran into local hikers who gave me directions. Once at the Bowl, I found my way to the top along a rather steep ridge. Hiking poles are recommended, particularly if you go to the top and you're an old-timer like me. Bring a windbreaker if you plan on going all the way.

5  Thank Peter G

Reviewed 20 September 2013

We chose to do the Race Point hike on the last day of our Alaska trip. It seemed like it would be challenging, but we also were unsure of other hiking routes in Seward.
Everyone told us that it had taken them 4 hours or so, however for me, it took me 7. I am so glad we left in the am so we were not racing the sun! Admittedly, I am pregnant and not in the best of shape, so I had to rest frequently. And an average of 38 degrees incline is quite steep.

The thing we wished we had known was which trails were the up and which were the down. We mistakenly took the down trails while going up, and this means you are walking up steep loose shale. When we were close to the top, we were unable to continue farther, as the down trail does not lend itself to easy going up.

2  Thank pilotwife14
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Unless you are an experienced climber, you should stick to the Jeep Trail. The hike is a good work out but not overwhelming.
The trails, however, are not well marked.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have been there in early July at evening. The trail up and down take us 4 hours :) Some place are dangerous but I have the best experience from Alaska!

1  Thank Peetulinka87
Reviewed 27 July 2013

traditionally run on the Independence Day for many years.big attraction for outdoor runners climbing the mountain.as a constant runner & visitor in Alaska ,just spent few hours watching the runners.