“Get the Pretzel!”

Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Seward Alaska's only Brewhouse and Restaurant in the heart of downtown.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Seriously, their hot pretzel and the cheese dip haunts me. I love hot pretzels, this was the best one I've ever had. Our last day in Alaska we seriously contemplated driving the 3 hours just to have it one more time. We didn't. But we thought about it.

The rest of the food was also very good. I had a fantastic grilled cheese and a so-so bowl soup. My wife had their fish fry and rated it 4.5 out 5 stars. And our server was super friendly. We ate here after a 9 hour boat tour, and it was a great choice. Brew pubs are incredibly popular in Wisconsin, where I'm from, and this one made me feel right at home.

I don't know if I'll ever be back to Seward, but if I am, I will definitely be eating here again!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Downtown Seward is a strange looking place. We tried really hard to find good food, and we really struggled. So when we saw the very cute looking Seward Brewing Company, we were very excited. Although we like good food, we also like good bar food, and we were excited to have a burger and a beer for dinner. We left our name with the hostess, and she said it would be about a 10 minute wait. We went to the bar, but we noticed several empty tables on the way. No matter, we ordered a beer at the bar and waited. And waited. And waited. After about 15 minutes, my husband, who is normally not pushy at all, asked the bartender for a menu. She was super nice and apologized, but she was the only bartender on duty and completely overwhelmed. She quickly helped us, but at that point I went to check back in with the hostess, because we had already been waiting for a table for 20 minutes. The hostess was in the middle of some sort of crisis with seating people, so I caught her eye and then went back to the bar. Finally, we just decided to order our food at the bar. Every item on the menu was precious and overdone somehow. It was like a hipster parody. I love good food, and I love unusual pairings, but this was overkill. When we got our dishes, we felt the same way. The salads were good, he had a kale cesar and I had the spinach salad, and both were good. The wings were way too complicated--they missed the mark--and it's pretty hard to mess up wings. The cheese fries came with lamb gravy, which was just too much on cheese fries. Lamb is one of my favorite meats, but its heavy, pungent taste really didn't make sense here. Anyway, I have rarely seen such bad front of house service at a restaurant--no one EVER came to seat us, and service was super slow. The food wasn't great, but it wasn't inedible. However, combined with the awful service, I wouldn't recommend this place. Again, all the servers were friendly, it was just incredibly disorganized. The hostess was obviously not very competent at her job (new?), and whoever the manager was wasn't doing her job either.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

One of the best parts of our Alaska journey was visiting the local breweries! It was a crazy day in Seward (July 4th) with the mountain marathon taking place, probably the busiest day of the year.

While the men's race was still taking place we stopped in for a flight and a couple appetizers. Well, the bartender would not let us sample any of their beers and said they were not offering flights because of the shortage of glasses ( I get it, they are busy). I was looking at 3 full shelves of small taster glasses! Kinda drove me crazy, but whatever... They were busy.

The beer was good, given we just guessed what we would get. The apps were pretty good, well the loaded fries were. My husbands wings were burned and tasted awful... We did get a replacement from another server, and even then they were just "okay".

I still recommend visiting if you are in Seward, maybe you will get lucky with a server or bartender in a better mood...

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed in Seward for two nights and I have to say this was our favorite place to stop by to eat and drink. The food was wonderful (don't miss the homemade pretzels) and the beer was tasty! The atmosphere was excellent and it is frequented by Alaskan residents as well as tourists. Definitely a spot not to miss while visiting Seward.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We ate here on evening while in Seward. The food was good, reasonably priced and service was good. The beer was really cold and very tasty. We would definitely go back if in the area again.

Been to Seward Brewing Company? Share your experiences!