“Great Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Alaska Saltwater Lodge
Ranked #16 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here in early June, 2012. We were supposed to rent the house across the street, but somehow the first people to rent if for the season, trashed it. Badly. Since the lodge is pretty small, the owners had to do some shuffling to accommodate us. They were incredibly honest and called us that morning as we were heading down from Whittier and wanted to know there was a “problem” with the house and that it would not be available but that they would figure something out. And this turned out to be a blessing. We spent the first two nights in a two bedroom unit with an incredible view of the water. We could watch otters constantly feasting on abalone and the not-so-occasional bald eagle. What a view! Bedrooms, kitchen and bath were just fine. The kitchen, living room and dining areas were quite spacious. The only complaint is that the master bedroom seemed to be below the kitchen in the upper unit and on our second morning, I don’t know what the person was doing or preparing, but from when I started counting they walked across the floor no less than sixty times! I recommend ear plugs – which I did not have on this trip.

The last night we were moved to end units in the main lodge. We were in the upstairs end unit and our teenagers were below us. Again, incredible views. Just a lovely place. Very well appointed and comfy. If I had to do it all over again, I would rent the two bedroom unit with the incredible view and living room. There were also books and games to play. I don’t recall that there was a TV – but who goes to Alaska to watch TV?

We also booked the day-long boat excursion from them. As there were just four of us in our group, we got to go on our own boat with just the four of us and the captain who was a retired teacher. The boat was small and it was crowded when we all were in the main cabin to keep warm, but the captain took us wherever we wanted. Since the boat was small – we could go fast and chase things that looked like they would be interesting—like an eagle swooping in to take a kitty white out of the air! We saw so many whales! He also took us fairly close to a calving glacier which we watched while we ate our lunches. It was one of the best boat excursions I have ever been on.

There is lots of hiking nearby – some of it through incredible wooded areas that look like forest scenes from Lord of the Rings. Just amazing. We also met the man who lives across the street and had a campfire with him and some friends one night. Alaskan campfires this time of year are really interesting, because it really doesn't get dark and there are these eagles just flying over your head – just an amazing and magical place

Room Tip: If you can, try to stay on an upper floor to avoid overhead noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cj2468

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I had occasion to spend a long weekend at the lodge during Labor Day Weekend. We had a quilting retreat, and there were probably 18 of us. The accommodations were wonderful. The room I stayed in was very comfortable, a view to die for, everything one could want. Our group had two areas in which to sew and gather, which were plenty roomy with plenty of electric outlets for all our machines, irons, etc. The proprietress made sure we all felt very pampered, and spared no effort to insure that our needs were met. What can I say? Heavenly location, great company, what more could you want?

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This establishment overlooks the wild and scenic Ressurection Bay- for the most part. We were the unfortunate ones in our group that were assigned to Unit H in our group. This particular unit is the only one that overlooks the parking lot and is on the ground level for a more intimate view of the cars. There is only one window and it faces the lot so if you like natural light AND privacy you are out of luck. Fortunately, it is a beautiful part of the world so you are presumably out exploring Seward or all the outdoor activities that are available here and not styling in your room too often. The room itself is quaintly furnished and a bit bare bones. The large room has a full and a twin bed, a small lavatory, a closet with no door, and an adjoining bathroom with a shower and toilet. We were awakened by what was presumably a mouse one night trying to get into our snack bars. The owner agreed to put some contraptions under our beds and no more recurrences happened. Our room was serviced almost every day, it appears that if you are in your room and servicing is occurring, they will skip your room.

Most of the other rooms appear to have good views of the bay. Also note that our visit is in August and it has rained every day of our week long stay. Not to say that we didn't participate in a lot of enjoyable outdoor activities but just as warning because a few of our group slipped on the slippery decking which connects the units and injured themselves.

The first night we were awakened by fireworks very nearby, the second night by the mouse, the last by cars coming and going in the lot so it wasn't exactly peaceful in our unit. Others in our group who had rooms along the water had no problems. I'd stay here again but only if I got a waterfront room.

Room Tip: Units F, G & H are not waterfront and should only be taken if you are not going to be in the roo...
1  Thank susan s
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at the Saltwater Lodge for 2 nights, I am sorry but I cant understand the rave reviews
of Seward itself as a town, once you ve seen it you ve seen it
There is nothing to do but shop in overpriced stores, or go to overpriced restaurants, or do something that you find sold at the marina, fishing or boating, hoping to see whales, good luck,etc
We had taken the Celebrity cruise that ended in Seward and wanted to stay and visit for a few days. Little did we know it rains all the time in Alaska, especially near the waterfront.
We went on a boat tour for lunch at a nearby island (4.5 hours) it poured the whole time.
The Saltwater Lodge is 10 minutes by car normally from the town, I say normally because the road is sooo bad with pot holes the whole way that it takes you triple the time to get there.
This road is the only access!! Every time you want to go to town and go back to lodge you re in for very long bumpy ride. The Lodge itself though it has a beautiful view and has very nice friendly owners is totally basic. Only found out at the end of stay that they had wifi. At night there is nothing to do there, no tv, no restaurants etc only camping resorts next door and yes a beautiful view. So you have to return to town for everything. The rooms are very basic, the shower is with the toilet in a separate small room and the sink is in the bedroom. But it is clean. I agree with another review about the nice breakfast the owner goes out of her way (believe me really far out of the way) to buy very fresh fruits for breakfast. But really unless you want to fish or do some sport having to do with fishing or boating this is not the place for you, you ll be totally bored in not just the lodge but with a stay in Seward.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What a great place to stay. Great views, comfortable rooms, and very nice people who go out of their way to make your stay memorable. The whale watching excursion with Tanya and Clay was unforgettable. Four people from our group of ten went fishing with the owner Captain Jim. They caught the limit and had a great time. Hope to return some day, so much to do.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Alaska Saltwater Lodge is located about 10 minutes out of Seward, overlooking Resurrection Bay and it was worth the drive. We had a special room right next to the breakfast room, with a little alcove jutting out which held a table and 2 chairs. It was very enjoyable to sit there and look out at the mountains and glaciers, bird life, sea otters, and kayakers passing by. The breakfast room overlooked the water and the Continental breakfast included a very nice bowl of fresh fruit, yogurt, and a selection of breads and English muffins to toast along with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and juice to drink. We took their all day excursion into the Kenai Fjord National Park. While we saw glaciers and a variety of sea life from puffins to seals, the highlight was the Humpback whales putting on a spectacular show breaching over and over. We were on a small boat with an excellent crew and lunch was provided. I highly recommend staying here and taking the lodge's boat excursion.

Room Tip: The room next to the breakfast room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank junglejudi
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I recently attended a wedding in Seward, Alaska and stayed at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge on Lowell Point. My room was attractive, clean and comfortable and had an incredible view of the Bay. I was especially impressed when I was served a nice sized bowl of fresh fruit with my continental breakfast. I'd stay here again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo