“Hate To Write This Review”

Murphy's Alaskan Inn
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 23 October 2013

By writing this review, I know that I'll never be able to stay there again because it will be too popular. But they deserve the excellent review that I am about to give. I had wanted to stay at a different hotel. It was on the water. But, even though I was booking well in advance of the trip, just about everything had already been taken. Truthfully, I made a reservation at Murphy's Alaskan Inn as a last resort. I had no idea that I was getting a premier choice. The room was excellent, close to the 'real' downtown Seward (easy walking distance), across the street from the waterfront park, advice given for excellent restaurants, and hotel service beyond belief. Not like the usual hotel. Personal service like you wouldn't believe. Met the owner, what a great guy. Front desk service was outstanding.

Really liked this place and would go back in a heartbeat, preferentially - as a first choice. Ah well, the secret is out. I'd been on my anniversary vacation and this was definitely one of the highlights. They certainly deserve this review. I just hope that I can still get a reservation for my next anniversary. Like the song - Nobody Does It Better!

Room Tip: Best Choice You Can Make!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank attaingsare

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was not impressed when we drove up to the motel but once in the room it couldn't have been cleaner and our view of the mts. and water was awesome! It was a true Alaskan experience! One I would repeat!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed one night downstairs in the two story unit and it was horrible because we could hear every step, toilet flush, etc. the construction was cheaply and poorly done...no insulation between the floors. We were awake till the upstairs finally retired after midnite. We were moved to the upstairs for the next nite snd it was quieter. I suggest you ask for the upstairs unit or wear earplugs. Very basic and overpriced Walking distance to the wharf and restaurants

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pattie P
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Stayed four nights here. Made reservations six months in advance so had fingers crossed. Was given room right next to office. Queen room with microwave, frig, etc. Room is quite small and cramped but clean and everything worked. Lots of foot traffic by room because of closeness to office. Bed was comforable also upgraded sheets and linens. We could see the harbor out of the window and was close enough to the harbor area to walk.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near office is possible.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bpprid
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I spent two nights here during a recent visit to Seward, and we had no complaints. The beds were fine and the motel is located within walking distance of both Seward's "old town" and the area around the harbor. As others have noted, the motel is a basic, family-run place. The continental breakfast consists of juice, coffee, bagels, and English muffins. The person behind the front desk was friendly and helpful with meal recommendations. Murphy's is located right across the street from a fairly large campground, so campfire smoke tends to work its way up to the motel during the evenings. We stayed in one of the first-floor "deluxe" rooms, and I thus can not comment on what standard rooms are like.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Basic motel room, nothing special. Overpriced, like all lodging in Alaska. The staff, which I assumed were the motel owners who live onsite, were friendly and helpful. Don't worry about the bunnies in the parking lot. They are the owner's pets and seem not to get flattened by the cars in the parking lot.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank redheadscuba
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This is a nice motel, at least for motel standards. The room was what one should expect: clean, fairly modern (looked built in 1999-ish), and included a fridge, decent Wi-Fi, and all standard amenities. Our room was a first-floor deluxe room, where the main selling point is the large window overlooking the harbor. The downsides of the room were that it seemed very small (it certainly was the smallest room of our 8 night Alaskan trip) and parking for all deluxe rooms is a bit tight if you have a large vehicle. Location is great since you can walk to the day-cruise terminal to the north or just drive a few blocks to the south to the SeaLife Center or the restaurants.

Continental breakfast was included and featured toast and bagels, yogurt, juice, and coffee. Nothing hot and no cereal. This certainly is below what most people expect nowadays from the chain hotels, but it was what I expect from a family-run motel. We had our breakfast on the rooftop deck overlooking the harbor rather than eatting in our room.

Like everything in Seward (and Alaska in general) the price was high. We paid $189 before tax, which was the highest room rate for our entire trip to Alaska. I can see paying that price for the second floor deluxe rooms, which have a balcony, but it seemed a bit steep for the first floor deluxe rooms. The older “standard” motel rooms are cheaper and don’t look half-bad. I would consider staying in one of those rooms and getting the cheaper rate if a second floor room is unavailable.

Overall, I would rate this motel 3.5 stars, but since that isn’t option, I’ll go 4 stars!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family