“Room for improvement”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Seward
London, United Kingdom
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The worst aspect of our 2 night stay in Murphy's Inn, as others have observed, was the noise. Our first floor room in the new block suffered from being able to hear every footstep in the room above us with the added distraction of frequent plumbing sounds. Not conducive to a good night's sleep.
Our bedroom was large, light and well equipped but the bathroom was tiny and the room wifi sketchy. Not a bargain for just short of $200 per night.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I paid for one night to see the room before deciding about staying a second night. The room looked okay so I went back to the office and paid for the next night too. Next morning someone is trying to open the door. I'm in the bathroom so I can't answer the door. Instead, I assume it's housekeeping so I yell that I'm still in the room. I yell repeatedly but they keep trying to open the door but won't respond to my shouts. The phone rings and it's the front desk saying that I've stayed past checkout and need to leave. I respond that I paid for two nights and she asks "when??" with a condescending tone. I say "last night within an hour of when I checked in." She responds "oh". No apology at all. The woman who checked me in was very nice. After that the service was lousy. Won't go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Seward hotels

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have never written a bad review, but I thought I needed to warn others about this place. My husband and our 2 year old daughter missed our flight back to Colorado and were scrambling last minute to find something in Seward. Murphy's Inn was one of the only places with a room available--should have been a warning, but we were desperate. We booked a standard room for 2 nights, at $165.00 a night (this includes tax). I had told the girl on the phone that we had a 2-year old, but I didn't ask for a crib. We drove in late last night to discover the motel was in a really sketchy area of town. Also, the motel did not have an operating crib for our daughter. When we got to our room, it was so tiny, and on the first floor. We switched to a deluxe room for $209.00 a night, which was on the second floor. When we went up the stairs we witnessed a couple of scantily dressed women hanging out smoking cigarettes. The room was bigger but just as cheaply built. Very thin sheets on the bed. Rusty shower drain. Window opened up to dilapidated housing. We didn't feel it was safe for our family, so we decided that we needed to stay someplace else. We went to the front desk to explain our situation and how we didn't think the place was suitable for our child. The girl at the front desk, although seemingly nice, said we couldn't cancel without paying a penalty because they couldn't rebook. I found this odd, because when I first walked in to talk with the woman, she had just received a call from an interested person looking to book a room that night. I asked to speak with her manager, who I think was the owner. While we were waiting for the owner to call me back, another person called about renting a room for tomorrow night. Also, during this time the girl at the front desk asked where I was from, and then asked me if I always book last minute and don't plan my vacations! The nerve! I explained how we booked last minute, only a few days ago because we missed our flight, and usually plan our vacations ahead of time.

When the owner called me back, I explained to him the our situation, and that the lack of a crib and the location just wasn't going to work. He then told me that he could find me a crib. I told him thank you, but that it just wasn't going to work. He said he would have to charge me a penalty for canceling, which he said was 50% of the cost for each night canceled. This is different than the advertised cancellation policy charge is just ONE night's stay. He said he'd cut me a deal and just charge me $75, which is really all that the cheap room was worth.

I asked if we could get our money back if they were able to rent out the room, and explained to him how the front desk had just received calls about availability today and tomorrow. He refused! He said, the issue was not whether he could re-book the room, but the amount of money he could get for the room (apparently, he was happy ripping us off with the overpriced room and didn't want to lose out on his windfall). We explained to him it would probably be better business to try to work with us instead of worrying about his $75.00 but he wasn't convinced. We paid the money and left.

We have to say here that we wouldn't have been able to get out of this mess if it weren't for Sarah at the Exit Glacier Lodge. She had a cancellation last night and was able to accommodate our last minute needs. She had a nice, clean room with a king size bed available for $169.00. The room was bigger than the cheap tiny room at Murphy's for the same price, plus we felt much safer. And breakfast was included! When I told the owner of Murphy's Inn that we had found a room at Exit Glacier Lodge, he told me that Murphy's Inn had a three-star rating, while Exit Glacier Inn had only a 2-star rating. On what planet???

Overall, terrible experience with this business, DO NOT COME HERE IF YOU CAN HELP IT, EVEN IN A BIND PAY THE EXTRA MONEY TO GO SOMEPLACE ELSE. BEWARE OF MURPHY'S INN!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you end up here, get the second floor, people walking upstairs and loud all night. First floor windows about two feet from the street with people walking by all night long. Doors with old fashioned key locks. Did not feel secure. Clean room, but outdated. Wifi available, but so slow it doesn't work. Ran out of coffee and meager breakfast items by 715am. Grapefruit cups from Costco were good. About 1/4 mile walk to small boat harbor. Very disappointed. Super- overpriced. Photos are deceiving.

Room Tip: If you end up here, get the second floor, people walking upstairs and loud all night. First floor w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Che R
Arezzo
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Or at least make sure your room is in the 2 level building. Look at their site carefully to be sure you are not in the motel section which borders the street. It's very noisy. The rooms are tiny, but they are clean. They advertise Wi-Fi, but when you get there, they say it doesn't work in most parts of the motel. My room was not far from the office and there was no Wi-Fi. They advertise breakfast which is a bran muffin and maybe yogurt. There is no coffee in the office where breakfast is located. They tell you can make coffee in your room. This is terrible service at a very high price.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in the 2 level "Deluxe" building and not in the one level motel section...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I made reservations at this motel 2 months before our trip for one room that could accommodate 5 people. That is not always possible so I was really glad to find a place that could accommodate all of us. (I had made the reservations over the phone, directly with the motel and had an email confirmation.) When we arrived, we were told that they had NO rooms that could house 5 adults. I told the receptionist that their Website said there were rooms for 5 adults and in fact I had the reservation confirmation. She said she was sorry but there were NO rooms for 5 adults. She did suggest that we rent 2 rooms (at double the cost!) My husband spoke to the owner who was at another site who also said there were NO rooms for 5 adults. He did, however, (after my husband prompted him) say he would try to find us other accommodations which he did. After we returned home I checked their website and sure enough there are several rooms that say they can house up to 5 adults. I called and spoke to the owner who then claimed that he never said there were NO rooms for 5 adults --- only that there were none available! I asked how that could have been since I had a reservation confirmation for such a room. He said the previous owners had made a mistake when they took my reservation and there was nothing he could do. He also added that he would have been within his rights not to honor ANY of the reservations made by the previous owners!! Nice attitude!! I would advise you to stay elsewhere. We ended up at Le Barn Appetit which was nice although it was outside of town so we had to drive in to activities rather than being able to walk and save gas. (At $4.50/gallon we would have liked to walk rather than drive!!)

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KMK1992
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

It was very clean but dated. I thought it was on the water but is not. Can see the water over a ball field and a campground. Nice mountain scenery. Can hear every movement on floor above. Can walk to town but not as close as expected. Overall was adequate.

Stayed July 2014