“Very Small Room”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Soo's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Fort Worth, TX
“Very Small Room”
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We did not spend much time at the B&B since we came in on the train and left the next morning. I think we stayed in the same room as Travelbuddy who posted photos on this site. Room was very small and there were no decorations - very spartan, which is surprising since the rest of the house is also small and seemed cluttered. It was not a place where we would want to spend much time but we only needed a place to sleep so we managed. There were sheets covering the sofas when we arrived but were later removed. Make note that you cannot wear shoes in the house.
Breakfast was good and when our shuttle service baled on us, they were very kind to offer to drive us to get other transportation out of Seward.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelingbarbie08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The breakfast was good and the room was clean, if a bit small. However, I concur with the others who wrote that Soo is a slightly odd person. She asked us a number of questions as well, and also treated us a bit like children (we are in our 20's, the other guests at the time were older), which was strange. Overall, though, it was clean and ok for the price-- many of the hotels and other b&bs were beyond our budget.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 August 2009

My wife and I have stayed in many bed and breakfasts in the USA and Europe. It would not be hyperbole to say the Soo was the most gracious and generous host I can remember. The place was impeccably clean. The breakfasts were homemade, delicious, and very filling. She even sent us off with a doggy bag of coffee cake on the day we left. She drove me to the car rental office and refused to accept money for her kindness.
On the two mornings we were there I sensed the same kind of treatment and openness with others staying in the house. I can highly recommend Soo's.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Soo is Korean. To us, we felt she uses short English sentences to communicate so could be viewed as curt or rude. We took time to talk to her and had many laughs. She takes her BB seriously so in that 'Asian' manner can be offended if one does not join in. We had 3 nights in her self contained apt 2. It was clean the full kithcen worked well. A great b'fast was excellent. Very central half way to 'old' town and 'new' town.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The common rooms of this B&B are architecturally quite interesting. There are beautiful windows and high ceilings with a sturdy wood staircase leading to the rooms upstairs. The room itself was fairly small and pretty cold (the weather was rainy and cold) and there was no way to turn up the heat. The bathroom was modern (shower only) but quite adequate.

The owner and hostess is Soo. Originally I had reserved three nights but cancelled one of the nights at least 6...perhaps 8...weeks prior to our stay. Soo greeted us at the door with a number of questions such as "why did you have to cancel? I could not rebook your room" and "why can't you eat my breakfast tomorrow" (we had booked the early morning Fjords Tour through Soo so she knew this.) I chalked it up to personality but it was a turn off. However, the way she treated me the second morning at breakfast was just rude. My husband went down for tea at 8:00 and Soo was deferential and very accommodating. He said breakfast included homemade blueberry pancake syrup, pancakes, cheese eggs, sausage, and watermelon. I came down at 8:20 and Soo was engaged in conversation with another couple at the kitchen counter. She pointed to the table (with dirty dishes from the prior guests) and proceeded to talk with the other couple about finding a buyer for the B&B. She didn't say a word to me the entire time and it was oddly the most uncomfortable breakfast I've ever eaten.

I also felt that Soo was more nosy than I was comfortable with. Although she did our laundry (a nice touch if you wanted it done and didn't have special cleaning requirements such as cold water wash), she did so without asking us. This means she had to find our dirty laundry in the room. Even before the laundry incident I had the feeling that she couldn't wait for us to leave so she could look in the room. It was all very weird.

The walls were quite thin and the rooms were dimly lit. It is unfortunate because the common rooms are absolutely beautiful. I would not recommend this B&B because of the lack of privacy and the rudeness of the hostess.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed her for two nights after our Inside Passage cruise. This BandB is a 10 min. walk to the pier and a 10 min walk to town. Cabs were easy to call when we got tired. It's in a residential neighborhood at the base of the mountain.. We stayed in one of the older units across the streets -- with a kitchen and living room, it was great with kids and felt like our own private cabin. The main house is beautiful, on the modern side and custom with a pretty little garden. I imagine it's hard to keep a place clean with muddy shoes, so we didn't mind taking our shoes off, but we were in an outside unit and not hauling luggage up the stairs. Soo was really nice and sweet host -- a very kind lady, a good cook, and we enjoyed meeting her and hearing about her family. We normally stay in hotels, but I liked having more space. We went to the sea-life center, did the dog-sled kennel tour (incredibly fun), and the Kenai Fjords cruise. We had a great time and saw lots of wildlife. It was interesting making our kids walk everywhere in a small town, but it was part of the adventure. We had dinner at Ray's, which was very good.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 4 July 2009

The B&B was clean and very neat. The rooms were very small. We had a queen size bed and a 13" Tv and that took up the majority of the room. We did have our own private bath. As for the establishment; I would not really classify this as a great B&B. Soo is very nice, but we are use to a little more interaction with a B&B owner. YES, you have to take off your shoes before entering. At first, I thought, big deal, however, as you are leaving and you realize you forgot something in your room, it is a pain in the butt! Also, as you are bringing your luggage to the room, it is a little annoying to have to take off your shoes. The other big thing that bothered me was the fact that there was no lock on our room from the outside. You can lock the room at "night" but not when you leave. Maybe it is a northeast thing, but I would prefer to know my stuff was secure when I am leaving for the day. You definitely need to know what you are doing when you stay here. Do not expect any suggestions or knowledge of the area here. We stayed for the 4th of July which is huge in Seward. We questioned about the fireworks and Soo had no clue what we were talking about. It is one of the major things about the town a\nd she didn't know anything about it. Other than that, the breakfast is good.... she does know how to cook. It is a very nice place, but not what I would consider a good B&B. If you want a B&B experrience, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you want a nice place that is clean and a warm good breakfast.. here you go! We are heading to Homer tomorrow and are staying at another B&B so we can compare that to this place.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple