“So glad I stayed at Soo's”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Soo's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I spent a long time deciding on accommodation in Seward and I am so glad I finally settled on Soo's Bed and Breakfast.

The location is within walking distance of both ends of town and is a lovely home. The room I stayed in was large with its own bathroom on the ground floor and was beautiful. I liked it very much. It was so clean and well appointed. There was also free high speed internet.

Soo makes a lovely breakfast with cooked savoury and sweet ingredients - I really enjoyed her cooking and something she called 'Soo's special' - a dessert type of dish a bit like trifle or cobbler or something.

Soo is lovely - she did my laundry for me while I spent the day looking around town and visting the sea life institute and then gave me a lift to my cruise ship even though she was expecting another guest. I think she ironed or pressed every item she washed - I was so pleased to receive lovely, clean, folded clothes. She didn't have to do any of it and it was done so perfectly. She is certainly a woman with high standards and her entire home reflects this.

I would stay at Soo's again and for longer - it was a lovely place to stay in a lovely town.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 September 2010

Seward was our first destination in Alaska and our stay at Soo's definitely made it our favorite spot so far. Her home is absolutely beautiful and very clean. The room we had was cosy and private from the other guests. Breakfast in the morning was great-- we ate so well that we even managed to skip lunch. We also had the opportunity to try reindeer sausages as part of the menu and korean sushi which was fantastic.

We felt very welcomed and at home at Soo's and would highly recommend her B&B to everyone!

1  Thank luckykuching
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We traveled here just a week ago for our honey moon, so the memories are fresh.

This place shines of cleanliness. We stayed recently in the same room as the person who posted pictures. The common rooms are very well designed and decorated. I heard from some regular guest that Soo's son is an architect and designed the place. The actual rooms are rather spartan, but well more than enough.

Many kudos to Soo for getting all her guests to remove the shoes. Soo is Korean, though the sign on the wall states that removing shoes is an Alaskan tradition. Perhaps it's both. This practice keeps the place clean.

When we came in, Soo pointed to our wet suit cases (it was pouring rain outside) and started making disproving noises about the mess we were about to bring into her house. That was rather odd. We were definitely treated like children (also in our 20s like the other reviewer making the same point) the whole time. We practically had our breakfast shoved down our throats and were told that we are not leaving the table until we finish it. Soo complained a lot about how much work she has to do for the place, and did not want to accept more guests. She made several negative comments about people requesting to do laundry, but agreed to let us use her dryer to dry out our clothes from the rain. That was not very welcoming.

Overall, a good experience, though deducting one star for the somewhat weird hostess.

Reviewed 14 August 2010

If you are going to Seward, please reward yourself with a stay at Soo's. The home is lovely, immaculate, and beautifully furnished. Soo is a wonderfully gracious hostess who goes above and beyond in every respect to make her guests feel at home. Her breakfast was superb. She even made us a fantastic Asian lunch on our first day!
We were in Alaska for two weeks and this had to be one of the highllights of our visit. We were even treated to a very special Caribou antler as a souvenier as we were leaving. And yes, Soo gladly drove us to the Bus Depot without us asking!! Please disregard any review that says Soo is pushy...NOT TRUE-She is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met!! She is genuinely interested in her guests happiness.
We can't wait to visit Seward and Soo's next year!!

Reviewed 3 August 2010

Our stay at Soo's could not have been more pleasant. It's located within walking distance of both the downtown area and the Small Boat Harbor, which was perfect for exploring Seward.

Soo herself was very hospitable, made delicious food, and even offered to drop us off at the Alaska Railroad train depot at the end of our stay without our asking (which we accepted). The room itself was definitely clean and had a lot of natural light. The main house itself is gorgeous as well.

I would definitely return, and recommend it to others!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We did not spend much time at the B&B since we came in on the train and left the next morning. I think we stayed in the same room as Travelbuddy who posted photos on this site. Room was very small and there were no decorations - very spartan, which is surprising since the rest of the house is also small and seemed cluttered. It was not a place where we would want to spend much time but we only needed a place to sleep so we managed. There were sheets covering the sofas when we arrived but were later removed. Make note that you cannot wear shoes in the house.
Breakfast was good and when our shuttle service baled on us, they were very kind to offer to drive us to get other transportation out of Seward.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelingbarbie08
Reviewed 8 September 2009

The breakfast was good and the room was clean, if a bit small. However, I concur with the others who wrote that Soo is a slightly odd person. She asked us a number of questions as well, and also treated us a bit like children (we are in our 20's, the other guests at the time were older), which was strange. Overall, though, it was clean and ok for the price-- many of the hotels and other b&bs were beyond our budget.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple