“Good value, quiet, and comfortable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Whistle Stop Lodging
Ranked #31 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Seward
central Illinois
“Good value, quiet, and comfortable”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The Whistle Stop was a unique place to stay for a couple of nights. It is at water’s edge at the north end of the boat harbor. It was very comfortable and quiet. The bed’s were nice, one of the beds had a very nice mattress topper for extra comfort. The heaters did a nice job of keeping the place cozy. The black out curtains did a decent job of darkening the room. There were plenty of places to hang clothes and two luggage racks for suitcases. The fridge, microwave, and coffee maker helped us save money on breakfast. Safeway is very close by. This is a clean, quiet, spacious room with an outstanding view. We appreciated the extra blanket and towels.
We had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank farmergirl38

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Am just getting around to doing Reviews for our wonderful trip and we had a great 3 nights at the Whistle Stop. We loved the location and the view. My (fisherman) husband loved walking along the docks checking out the Halibut catches. We ended up eating 2 nights at the restaurant right next door as the ribs were so good (and it was raining!).
Just a couple of facts that may be helpful for others. The bed was not that comfortable and is up against one side of the carriage, so one person (me) had to scramble over. When we were there there was no hairdryer, no wine glasses, no cutting board, no sharp knife and the plug for the sink didn't work. There was a stove which didn't work and a washing machine and dryer which also didn't work. This was a bit disappointing as we had quite a lot of washing waiting to be done! Oh and for the Aussies and Brits, there is no kettle (which was the norm in most places we found) to make a decent cup of tea!
This sounds like a big moan, but it isn't. I went around to pay Debra (the Agent) and mentioned all of the above to her. Apparently the stove, washing machine/dryer have been disconnected by the owner. We had a nice chat and I found her very friendly and helpful. You can only speak as you find! We did enjoy the novelty of the train carriage and as we said before, we loved the location and view. We were catching the train to Anchorage and it was very convenient for that too.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yvonne W
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My sister and I stayed one night in Seward and enjoyed the Whistle Stop Hotel. Not luxury but a good Alaskan value. It is right on the harbor and you can see it out the window....you can also see the parking lot to the side but easily enough you can focus on the great view of the harbor. THere was two queen or double beds and a table so plenty of room. Hooks in the bathroom to hang up wet clothes after the rain. If desired you could eat breakfast at the Smoke Shack right across the patio. Only suggestion would be for them to find some way to be able to sit in that nice common area and see the view of the harbor at the same time. The room also had a fridge which we did not know about!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank skibill
texas
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I was a little nervous based on some of the previous reviews but would stay here again. The location was great. The railcar was very spacious and every thing was very clean and convenient. We adored the windows looking out to the harbor. The only negative I found was I wish the mattress was better quality.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We thought it was fun staying in the train car (had stayed in another train car in Fairbanks on previous trip), and the location was so convenient - free parking in downtown Seward is sometimes iffy, and we could walk to everything we needed including the cruise. It was much quieter than I expected, too. Fun to look out on the harbor right from our window. I enjoyed the self-check in especially since you never need to worry about misplacing a key. There were a few minor issues - toilet paper ran out, soap in shower dispenser was empty. Also instructions on the heater were inadequate, we never figured out how to get it to stay on all night. Unable to report these items to the manager since we didn't discover them till after hours (not really emergencies so we wouldn't disturb her at home). All in all we had a good time there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank NotTooFussySC
san francisco, ca
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Sink didn't drain, no place to put luggage or hang wet clothing, bedding not provided for second bed. Strictly self check-in self service, no contact with anyone. Was locked out just before midnight because of electronic locks not working properly and had to wake up Debra. What a beast and very rude. No apology - asked why we didn't wake up people in next room to let us in instead of calling her at home. Wow. Had to drive payment to her house next morning. Definitely will never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010
4 Thank lisette
Alaskasview, Manager at Whistle Stop Lodging, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Thank you for letting us know of your problems while at the Whistle Stop. Unless someone notifies us of problems like a sink not working, sheets missing, etc while they are staying at the unit, it is hard for us to take care of the problem for you. If we had know we would have explained were the sheets were and attempted to fix the sink for you.

Also thank you for letting us know that there was a problem for you as to where to put your luggage. Again, unless someone shares this information with us, we are unaware that this is a problem and no one before has mentioned it as a problem. We will put luggage racks in the room.

Yes the units are self check-in as noted on the confirmation under directions. We did this so people would not be limited as to what time they had to be there to check-in. I am sorry you found this to be an inconvenience. When setting up the self check-in situation I really thought we were making it easier for everyone. You can be sure if there are any more complaints or problems with self check-in we will reconsider self check-in and change it so check in time is limited to a 2 hour span as it is in many small nightly lodging businesses. We are always making improvements and considering our customers comments.

Also I apologize that you found making payment to be inconvenient. There was an option to leave payment in the unit if you were paying with a check. On occasion when customers contacted us and let us know there was a problem coming to the office, we have made other arrangement for them. I am sorry we did not know it was an inconvenience for you until we received notification from Trip Advisor.

Yes we are strict about check-out. But as the information reads, to let us know you need a late check out, if possible we will arrange the cleaners hours so they are not waiting for customers to leave.

I am truly sorry that you miss understood my comment about waking the neighbors. It was late in the evening, you looked cold and tired. You had gone to the neighboring hotel to contact me, then you had to wait for me to get there. I just thought it might have been easier and quicker for you to get in. You looked so tired & unhappy.

Also I thought I had apologized to you when you came into pay for there being a problem with the lock and for my grumpiness when I was woken up. We did install a new lock that day after we knew there was a problem. So I am not sure why there was a need to bad mouth Whistle Stop on Trip Advisor . We probably could have taken care of most of your issues while you were still there if we had been notified of them.

I have to say it is kind of ironic that I just had a customer come to the office to pay. She said the entire trip to Alaska was terrible because of the rain. The only thing they really enjoyed was the Whistle Stop.
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2010

That old saying was never more true than here. We disembarked a cruise ship and were staying in Seward three days without a car before taking the bus to Anchorage to rent one for the duration of our trip. Staying here there was absolutely no need for a car. I always book my rooms on the basis of convenience, and this was the most convenient ever! Literally everything you could want was in walking distance, or in walking distance of the free shuttle stop. The Exit Glacier shuttle was next door, and many great restaurants and Fjords National Park cruises were within a very short walk.

In addition, it was quite clean and refreshingly large after spending the week in a cruise ship cabin.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple