(Michelin 3 star meaning its worth the trip to Alaska just to visit Orca island cabins.....)
I fell for Orca island cabins after CNN mentioned it in one of their travel pages related to private islands. After having multiple conversations with Susan, I booked this place months in advance as i wanted one of the yurts on the island.
Susan and Dennis are great hosts! They have maintained the property well, give you precise instructions & take great care of you. I've never felt more welcoming:)
This was a surprise for my husband, and I asked Yen (the operations manager) to arrange for something. She suggested Cake from a local bakery and alaskan Beer. Everything was in our cabin before we arrived :) She even had the presence of mind to include his name. Very sweet of her :)
The Yurt - Cant ask for more in the wilderness. The kitchen had everything we wanted to cook a full fledged Indian meal. Shower area is small, but manageable. The large sky light looks great during the day - but make sure you have eye masks on to be able to sleep at night (Yes, 5 AM is Bright in Seward). Every yurt has a private deck & the ones on the island have the best views.
The front decks - I have no words to describe the view from the decks ! Don't worry too much if the view from your yurt isn't that good - you can always hang out at one of the front decks. There is one on the upper level and one on the lower level. The lower level one has unobstructed views, and the upper one has a roof & surrounded by trees, so good to hang out when it is sunny. The only caveat is the decks are shared by all guests.
Kayaking - Although its sea kayaking, it is in a secluded cove, so i found it safe! Lots of wildlife around:) We did not see whales during our stay, but they are known to hang out in that area. So you might get lucky and see one from your deck!
Book it during the week and you might end up with the whole island to yourself - that is an experience by itself !! We had the island to ourselves on day 2 as all other guests left...so that was a bonus for us!
Pair this stay with a journey aboard alaska railroad (preferably goldclass) from Anchorage to Seward for a truly unforgettable vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A unique place to stay when visiting Seward Alaska, our nightly rental cabins are comfortable accommodations in a remote setting. Our rates include a 30 minute scenic cruise to the property from Seward as well as all the equipment use including kayaks, stand up paddle boards, rowing skiffs, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Orca Island Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orca Island Cabins Hotel Seward
- Orca Island Cabins Seward, Alaska