“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Northwest
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The room was large enough for 4 of us, and nicely appointed. Some rooms have a view of the bay, some don't. Staff was great, and the little restaurant attached to the hotel is quite good.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lutz1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Alaska
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We have stayed at Hotel Seward many times over the last four years. It seems to get better every time. We stayed in the historic wing, a room with private bath. The room is small but very well put together. The bedspread was lovely and lots and lots of pillows! The bathroom has been upgraded since our last stay with new tub. Nothing fancy but very clean and new. I was glad there was a screen for the window as it was very warm this trip. A small fan would have made a large difference. I'm sure had we asked, they would have found one for us. It was very quiet even being the older section. I peeked in the shared bath and would have been fine staying in a euro style room had we not had our little one with us.
If you don't want a smaller room book in the new section. The deluxe new rooms are lovely. When we checked out I had too many bags which made for several trips. When I mentioned to the clerk that I felt no help had been offered she was very apologetic and made it right. I feel the owners love their hotel very much. It shows. They have been working very hard to make it the nicest place to stay in town. It's also Alaskan owned! Thank you again Hotel Seward. We will be back!
There is great Greek/Italian food at Apollo just behind the hotel. The SeaLife Center is half a block away, as is the shoreline. There is a fantastic playground just a block from the hotel.

Room Tip: The historic rooms are small but immaculately clean and comfortable. Deluxe rooms are in the new sec...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Vancouver
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We had a very nice quiet King room with period furnishings. Location is great - on the main street about a block from the Sea Life center. The hotel restaurant 'Gene's Place' is very good as well.

Room Tip: Book ahead
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarbaraJeanVancouver
Atlanta, GA.
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Well at first we were put off staying here but it improved as time passed. The check in took really long and the staff seemed rather stressed out checking folks in. The room was nice overall but nothing really special. They have upgraded to what I consider todays standards and the furniture is slightly nicer than the typical mid-range hotel (Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Spring Hill type place).

The big negative was that the walls and ceilings are not too good at sound insulation, the first night we had a noisy neighbor and we could hear the folks above us walking around till late in the night. I'd ask for the top floor if I came back so no one was walking above me.

When it came time for diner we were tired and didn't feel like exploring. Normally I avoid the hotel restaurant like the plague because they are rarely good but I must say Ms Gene's restaurant was the exception! Service was average but the food was surprisingly delicious with several very healthy salad & fresh fish options. It was so good we came back on night #2 this time with a Sockeye Salmon that we caught during the day. They were more than happy to prepare and cook the salmon we caught!!! Now that is fantastic hospitality.

OK onto the best part of the Hotel. Mr. Wes Oetinger is the resident fishing tour guide and fishing instructor! I can't say enough good things about Wes, he was fantastic. Wes is totally great about helping instruct you as much or as little as you need. He is so friendly and helpful it was just wonderful. He even helps other folks that are fishing and not part of his group. If your a novice or an expert hiring Wes will help out. He knows where to go to find the fish and how to read the water and topography etc., While going out with dozens of folks around Wes directed us to success at the same time many around us when home empty handed.

So overall, the restaurant and Wes Oetinger would bring me back to the hotel again. That said if you are just looking for a nice quiet room you might be better off down the street at the Holiday Inn Express or the Best Western across the street. Tough call, we enjoyed our stay but felt they were a bit expensive for the value received in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank TLinATL
marknmary, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Mixed feelings on staying here but Wes Oetinger & the Restaurant food. Please let me introduce myself Mary Kulstad owner manager. I am thankful to hear you enjoyed our restuarant and Wes. I apologize that the staff was stressed and check in was lenghty. We had been having computer issues with some unexpected staff turn over. I apologize that we were unable to handle the problems so that they did not disrupt your stay. I hope you will forgive us and give us another opportunity. Please feel free to contact me anytime. mkhotel seward@gci.net
Sincerely, Mary Kulstad
Denver
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Thumbs up for Wes!

Fishing the Russian River in Alaska, an event that will forever remain etched in the memories of my son, wife, and me, couldn’t have been more fun.  Our guide, Wes, a knowledgeable, humorous, and energetic person, is a great guide and the classic adventurous American soul.  He knows where, when, and how to catch the salmon and have fun while doing it.  For seven hours the sockeye salmon danced in the “glass” clear Russian River, within feet of us, in view of the naked eye.  The sockeye salmon tormented and teased every single person along the banks of the river, evoking dreams of landing the portentous fish.

As the river full of sockeye rushed past, my heart and soul were warm beyond imagination.  Wes, took the time to show my wife and myself the method to the madness to land the sockeye.  He had my wife laughing to near tears, as he demonstrated how to effectively (and correctly) cast for salmon…and she successfully landed one.  Our son, who waited ever patiently on the banks of the river, was treated by Wes to a special trip to the local Weir. Here, our son was able to “net” a sockeye thanks to Wes and the staff at the Weir.

We, unfortunately, had but only a single day dedicated to fishing on this particular trip, yet, the time spent with Wes, as our fishing guide, is more than enough reason to book a future (and longer) trip with him upon our return to Alaska.  If you can’t make it to Alaska soon, well, he runs guided fishing trips in Mexico as well…just choose your preferred water temperature and give him a call!

Thumbs up for Wes!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed 23 June 2011

While historic, it really is lacking in creature comforts. Over priced, We ate breakfast there and it was not a good experience. After I had booked this I was advised to cancel and stay at the Holiday Inn, and we wished we had done so.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank supercubber
marknmary, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Mediocre Lodging, Please let me introduce myself Mary Kulstad owner and manager of the hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed the Historic Wing of the Hotel. It was built in 1940 and is limited in amenties. The Historic Wing is for travelers looking for something more economical without the amenties because is has no elevator, some Euro style rooms w/ shared bath and other small rooms with baths in the room. The Holiday Inn and our Alaska Wing are comparable they are more modern and offer similar amenties. Both have something different to offer the Holiday Inn is a fine corporate Hotel and we are an Alaskan Family owned boutique Hotel offering a little charm, mixing the old and the new with our wildlife and history display for alls enjoyment. Please contact me so I can address your concerns because we strive to improve the areas we have failed at. mkhotelseward@gci.net Sincerely, Mary Kulstad
hudson valley,ny
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Seward for the first two nights of our Honeymoon trip to alaska! What a nice surprise. We had a King view room on the third floor with fireplace and views of the Bay. The staff was great. Special thanks to Wes Oetinger of the Hotel Seward Fishing Adventure who arranged a water taxi for us and Took us to the weir on Bear Creek . Be sure to eat at Gene's Place in the hotel. The fresh Salmon as well as the Halibut cheeks were amazing. The hotel is located downtown and is within walking distance to many restaurants, pubs and shops. We would recommend this hotel for your stay at Seward.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple