“wonderful time in seward”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“wonderful time in seward”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

when my husband and i went to seward for a get away the hotel seward was a great place to stay very friendly and clean lots of history to look at. great staff and good food will stay there again for sure : )

Room Tip: the view room was very sunny and spacious, romantic wth the fireplace
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed at Hotel Seward last week for 2 nights and was very pleased with everything about this Hotel. Warm and beautiful lobby and the rooms were very comfortable. There was a free computer in the lobby and great variety for breakfast--fruits, toast/Eng. muffins, pastries, cereals--YUM!! The staff was very friendly and helpful, as was the owners and their beautiful puppy, Bella! The hotel is conveniently located--a couple of blocks from Resurrection Bay, the Incredible Alaskan Sea Life Center and great shopping & restaurants. I highly recommend the Hotel Seward--
Barbara

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We recently stayed at Hotel Seward for 4 nights and while the staff was friendly, we found it sorely lacking in many respects. First of all, even though the weather in Alaska is often cold even in the summer months, our room was unbearably hot (high 80's). Since there was no A/C, our only recourse was to open the windows, which was fine during the day, but at night and in the morning, there was so much noise on the street below, we were unable to sleep. To make matters worse, the curtains didn't close fully, and considering that it never gets dark in the summer, it was impossible to make the room dark enough to sleep well.

Furthermore, we booked a room on the third floor and had been told that it had outstanding views of Resurrection Bay, however the ACTUAL view was not quite what it was billed to be. Yes, we could see small glimpses of the Bay, but mostly we were peering out over a row of very funky houses that looked more like squatter's shacks than homes.

The final blow though was when we checked out. We had been told when we made the reservation that if we stayed four nights we would only have to pay for three....one of the main reasons we stayed as long as we did....but when we checked out they disavowed any knowledge of this and charged us the full rate for 4 nights....which ended up being over $1,100.00....yeow!! Much too much money for what we got....leaving us with a decidedly bad taste in our mouth, and we will definitely NOT be returning to this hotel!

Room Tip: Hard to say what the best rooms are. They're all going to be very noisy as you're either goi...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
This is disheartening to have this posted. We are a small family hotel and it is not our policy to give the 4th night free. This guest received his confirmation 6th months ago for a 4 night stay with a discount. It did not state the 4th night was for free. He was here for 3 and 1/2 days and he never mentioned anything and seemed happy during his stay. At 8:30pm his last night, he requested the night for free. The staff was confused; they checked his confirmation and nothing was stated about the 4th night for free. He implied to them that he would not be satisfied unless get got the night for free. So, they called me to assist. I call to talk with him and asked if he thought his 4th night was for free why did he not request it in writing during the 6mths to verify it or at check in? He agreed he had received his confirmation which verified the reservation price per night and it did not indicate the 4th night was free. I was sorry for his distress, but his agreement was per the confirmation and I could not give the 4th night free. I explained it would have helped if at check in he had asked about giving him the 4th night free, then this would not have happened after he had stayed. He could have chose to leave early if he was not in agreement. Just as he could have left early, if he did not like the accommodation, as he now states. This is a sad ending. I am sorry to share it with all of you. Mary Kulstad
Grafton, West Virginia
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The Hotel Seward is an old establishment but has added an addition. We stayed for one night and the staff was great. Accommodations weren't actually modern but very nice. Extremely large room and the hotel had a washer and dryer service which was great since we had been on a cruise for 7 days! The lobby is typical Alaska with lots of wildlife represented!

Room Tip: Reserve in the new addition and can get view of Resurrection Bay. Although it is not a clear shot v...
Davison, Michigan
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Upon check-in, my son and I could not help ourselves, we had to tour the lobby before we went back to our vehicle to get our luggage. The amount and variety of stuffed/mounted wildlife was simply amazing! The room was clean and beds were very comfortable. The location is nice, easy to walk around downtown, near the sea life center, but far enough from the busy marina area. I would recommend the hotel to a friend, and would stay there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We re3commend the Hotel Seward. It an older hotel recently renovated and decorated in early1900's furniture which gives it a lot of character. The lobby is very cute and appealing. It has the advantage of being in the center of the town, away from the touristy hub-bub at the boat harbor. It is close to the sea life center and there are numerous little shops to visit on the short main street.

Grayslake, IL
Reviewed 19 June 2012

We checked in on June 8th and we were in the old section with our own bathroom. I believe it was room 8 or 10. As soon as we walked into our room there was a weird smell. Not overpowering but different. My son said it smelled old. I walked into the bathroom and there was a smell of sewer or sewage. It wasn't faint but it wasn't overpowering. I went to take the bathmat that was hanging up and it had dirt all over it. I called the front desk and they quickly came down with a replacement. I mentioned there was a bad smell in the room and I thought it was coming from the bathroom. They didn't even step into the bathroom but told me they would call me back with rates, based on my current discounted rate (AARP), if I wanted to switch to another room. All of the rates were at least $35 more. Since it was late and we were leaving in the morning we stayed since the smell was contained if we kept the bathroom door closed. Upon checkout on the 9th, I was never asked how our stay was, if we enjoyed our stay, etc. Basically the hotel is nice and the room, even though it is a little crowded (but the bed was nice and big) was fine. The exception was the smell and the hotel's response to it.

Room Tip: From my experience, don't stay in the old section. Maybe the newer section was better.
, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
I am sorry for the lastness of my response. Mary owner and manager of the hotel. I can only apologize that I and my staff did not handle this well. They should have immediatly tried to find another room and correct the problem. I was leaving for my father 90th and missed addressing this but I truely like to be notice anytime there is a problem. Ultimatley it is my reponsiblity to correct it for the guest and to help my staff. Thank you for noticing us of this so we can improve. I hope you will give us another chance.I will try to contact you personally. Sincerely, Mary Kulstad