“The only place to stay in Seward”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was our second trip to Alaska but the first for my parents. My husband and I rented a motorhome but my parents stayed at the Hotel Seward. What a lovely, charming property in a great location; across from the ocean and the Alaska Sea Life Center as well as the unique gift shops - everything is within walking distance. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with many amenities. The bed very luxurious. The housekeeping staff was spot on and very friendly. We had two meals there and both were excellent. The owners, Mark and Mary are obviously very passionate about their "home" and truly treat all their guests like family. We will definitely recommend this property to anyone lucky enough to vacation in Alaska!

Thanks!
Donna S. on behalf of Leo and Emilia S.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Seward

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We just spent one night here before a cruise. We arrived in Seward at 11:00 am by train, and a shuttle was waiting to take us (and others) to the hotel. (I had not realized they even provided shuttle service, so was happy to see the van!). They stored our luggage for us while we had lunch and went to the Alaska Sea Life Center (2 blocks away), and had our luggage in our room when we went back to check in. All of the staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

We stayed in an Executive Queen room, which was very roomy with a bay window. You could see the water over the buildings across the street. It had a fireplace with a video fire; it was pleasant in Seward, so provided a little atmosphere without heating up the room, although I think it had a heater option, too. The room was spotless, the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

They had a sign-up sheet in the lobby for the shuttle to the cruise ship the next day. The driver was friendly and efficient.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, because we wanted something simpler. We ate at the new Seward Brewery restaurant a couple of blocks away, and had great food. They offer a flight of beers, so we got to taste most of them and enjoyed that. The service was very good.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We selected the new wing OF THE HOTEL so we didn't have to share a bathroom. All comments in TA about the rooms are accurate (clean, nicely decorated, comfortable mattress, slightly noisy) so I'll talk about the restaurant and bar. We had an outstanding Bloody Mary by the "summer" bartender, Jamie. It was top-notch and garnished with 3 pickled asparagus spears, a section of artichoke heart, a pearl onion, and 2 jumbo stuffed olives. Excellent. Nearly a "salad" by itself. The barbecued short ribs were exceptionally tender with meat falling off the bone. Served with rice pilaf and a crisp Field Greens salad. As a tired traveler, I welcomed the ability to stay at the hotel and enjoy a dinner on site. One negative note...I selected this hotel for it's charm AND free Wi-Fi. After spending about an hour trying to hook-up with ANY of the four (4) networks associated with the Hotel Seward, I called the Front Desk. I was told by Donovan I was using the correct password. Then, when checking-out, I learn the hotel's Internet connection is DOWN! They were still offline at 3:30 pm that afternoon. I needed to print Boarding Passes for my flight at 11:30 pm that same night. The clerk at the front desk discounted my room rate 5% and suggested I go to either of two local Internet Cafes to connect to JetBlue. Well, neither of the Internet Cafes had Printers, a necessary accessory to print boarding passes. Well, it was Seward, AK, after all. However, the Seward Library (opened in May 2013) has excellent Internet Facility with 45 minutes FREE and 10 FREE pages of document printing. EXCELLENT!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the parking lot have a better chance of quiet. Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rokitlady
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The animal mounts in the lobby are amazing! It is very close to the ocean and in a beautiful section of town. It was just a short walk to anything we wanted to do. The people here, as in all of Alaska that we visited are very friendly and willing to help in any way they can.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is the way a hotel should be. It is an old hotel but has been updated with all the things you would expect in a big city hotel. The staff was "on spot" and we couldn't ask for better service. The lobby is a real treat but I will let you find out for yourself, I want you to go there. The only draw back is that we only were able to spend one night there. If we return to Seward, The Seward Hotel will be our headquarters for sure.

Room Tip: Make this your first chose when in Seward, AK
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old and charming, and definitely clean. The restaurant had good food at a good price and most of the staff was good. However, the front desk manager was harsh, and treated us harshly and was unwilling to explain or help. The owners are good, tho, and if you get attitude, just speak to the owner. Great location, and great shuttle service ( ask owner, not harsh woman at desk). Van met our cruise ship, and also took us to train next day.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The hotel Seward staff are very helpful and can provide wonderful advice. While they do offer the Gene's restaurant as an option and the food there is very good the staff is willing to point out other places to eat and things to do. The rooms are small but full of character. We enjoyed the food at Gene's and the other guests were friendly. We enjoyed our trip to Alaska and wished we had spent more time in Seward and the Kenai. Had a great day of Fishing out of Miller's Landing and had Gene's cook a fresh Halibut for dinner. If I head back to Seward I will stay at Hotel Seward again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple