“Passport to the Kenai Winner!”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This awesome stop was included in the Passport to Kenai Adventure that I won on our trip to Alaska last year (2012). This hotel is AWESOME! I love the rich history of Seward that they share through their decor! Very convenient location, wonderful rooms, and the staff treat you very well! Make sure you contact Wes to arrange a fishing trip! I had a BLAST fishing and we limited out! Thank you for everything! We'll be back!

Room Tip: This had me mark swimming pool.. it's Alaska and it was a bit on the cool side, no pool. haha
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I hate to talk bad about fellow alaskans trying to run a local business, but Mary, you need to reevaluate 3/4 of your staff. Especially a front desk worker, whose name starts with a T. I spent about 5 hundred, for a two night stay in a " pet friendly" room. Not only was this employee rude on the phone, he was worse in person. And I heard that repeated by several other guests, and employees alike. I'm sorry, but " we get burned out, during the few weeks a summer we get busy, by repeat questions from customers." doesn't fly with me. It's called the service, and customer service industry for a reason. And I did complain, while I was a guest. Nothing was done. The overpriced room is another matter. Seeing as I would never spend more than 50$ for it provided Seward had another pet friendly hotel. The only saving grace, was a somewhat friendly, southern guy. Who also made excuses for the staff, but calmed me down a bit. When I was fuming angry at my treatment, as a paying guest.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank J65555
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Guest, You are correct there is no excuse for bad service. I apologize that the staff in general did not provide you the quality service you should expect . It is clear you must have spoke withTim between 11pm and 7am he is the only staff that starts with T. From what I read in your review he made a serious error, not only in what he had done ,but also how he tried to explain himself. I understand why you are mad. The entire comment is inappropriate. All staff are to be here to assist in any way they can in a friendly and courteous manner, without exception. Jamie who you spoke with and I assume the staff , thought that their apology was accepted and appears took no other action. We do try, as all businesses not to have errors and if we do, to correct them to the best of our ability. I apologize that we failed in this situation. Please understand that in general I believe my staff intends to do the right thing and when we error, we will work to correct it . Thank you for your input. Please feel free to contact me, my email is mkhotelseward@gci.net
I again apologize for your experience with Tim, Mary

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was our second trip to Alaska but the first for my parents. My husband and I rented a motorhome but my parents stayed at the Hotel Seward. What a lovely, charming property in a great location; across from the ocean and the Alaska Sea Life Center as well as the unique gift shops - everything is within walking distance. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with many amenities. The bed very luxurious. The housekeeping staff was spot on and very friendly. We had two meals there and both were excellent. The owners, Mark and Mary are obviously very passionate about their "home" and truly treat all their guests like family. We will definitely recommend this property to anyone lucky enough to vacation in Alaska!

Thanks!
Donna S. on behalf of Leo and Emilia S.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We just spent one night here before a cruise. We arrived in Seward at 11:00 am by train, and a shuttle was waiting to take us (and others) to the hotel. (I had not realized they even provided shuttle service, so was happy to see the van!). They stored our luggage for us while we had lunch and went to the Alaska Sea Life Center (2 blocks away), and had our luggage in our room when we went back to check in. All of the staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

We stayed in an Executive Queen room, which was very roomy with a bay window. You could see the water over the buildings across the street. It had a fireplace with a video fire; it was pleasant in Seward, so provided a little atmosphere without heating up the room, although I think it had a heater option, too. The room was spotless, the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

They had a sign-up sheet in the lobby for the shuttle to the cruise ship the next day. The driver was friendly and efficient.

We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, because we wanted something simpler. We ate at the new Seward Brewery restaurant a couple of blocks away, and had great food. They offer a flight of beers, so we got to taste most of them and enjoyed that. The service was very good.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We selected the new wing OF THE HOTEL so we didn't have to share a bathroom. All comments in TA about the rooms are accurate (clean, nicely decorated, comfortable mattress, slightly noisy) so I'll talk about the restaurant and bar. We had an outstanding Bloody Mary by the "summer" bartender, Jamie. It was top-notch and garnished with 3 pickled asparagus spears, a section of artichoke heart, a pearl onion, and 2 jumbo stuffed olives. Excellent. Nearly a "salad" by itself. The barbecued short ribs were exceptionally tender with meat falling off the bone. Served with rice pilaf and a crisp Field Greens salad. As a tired traveler, I welcomed the ability to stay at the hotel and enjoy a dinner on site. One negative note...I selected this hotel for it's charm AND free Wi-Fi. After spending about an hour trying to hook-up with ANY of the four (4) networks associated with the Hotel Seward, I called the Front Desk. I was told by Donovan I was using the correct password. Then, when checking-out, I learn the hotel's Internet connection is DOWN! They were still offline at 3:30 pm that afternoon. I needed to print Boarding Passes for my flight at 11:30 pm that same night. The clerk at the front desk discounted my room rate 5% and suggested I go to either of two local Internet Cafes to connect to JetBlue. Well, neither of the Internet Cafes had Printers, a necessary accessory to print boarding passes. Well, it was Seward, AK, after all. However, the Seward Library (opened in May 2013) has excellent Internet Facility with 45 minutes FREE and 10 FREE pages of document printing. EXCELLENT!

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the parking lot have a better chance of quiet. Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor are...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rokitlady
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This is a very nice hotel. The animal mounts in the lobby are amazing! It is very close to the ocean and in a beautiful section of town. It was just a short walk to anything we wanted to do. The people here, as in all of Alaska that we visited are very friendly and willing to help in any way they can.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is the way a hotel should be. It is an old hotel but has been updated with all the things you would expect in a big city hotel. The staff was "on spot" and we couldn't ask for better service. The lobby is a real treat but I will let you find out for yourself, I want you to go there. The only draw back is that we only were able to spend one night there. If we return to Seward, The Seward Hotel will be our headquarters for sure.

Room Tip: Make this your first chose when in Seward, AK