“I great experience, just need to know a few things in advance.”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 23 August 2013

After reading such a wide scope of good and bad reviews, I chose Hotel Seward because they were pet friendly. The hotel has two distinct styles - the older portion of the property is much like a hostel or boarding house - which is not that uncommon in small/rural Alaskan communities and local travelers are pretty used to it. The newer portion of the property is much like a moderate level hotel - still an older building but has been updated fairly well. You should make sure you ask about which part of the facility your reservation is in and make sure it meets your comfort and cost expectations. My experience was great - the bar is also one of the small dining rooms - the food was fantastic and folks struck up fun conversations with each other - I got to meet some interesting characters. Many of the staff are temporary summer hires from other states (also not uncommon in Alaska), which may account for some of the inconsistent service - but I found everyone friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: The older portion of the property does not have an elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed at Hotel Seward for one night post cruise in August 2013. We made the reservation though Expedia. We emailed the hotel and they offered to pick us up and hold our luggage till check in time, which was really nice.
Staff interactions were all pleasant and appropriate, with an minor exception of the bartender at Ms Genes place who was really hard to get the attention of. She was however clearly quiet busy and pleasant when she was able to get to us.
We stayed in the new area, so we had a private bath. It was fine. Clean but a bit old looking. Beds were nice and comfy. Room was a nice size, with two double/queen beds. We originally booked the room for two and at the last moment our two cousins joined us. The front desk quickly changed it and had no problem with our change. Room was nicely appointed, TV, frig, coffee maker, and even a fan, which one guest was very pleased to see. Room was not noisy. We did look out directly on the parking lot, which was no problem, but the curtains did not quite close. I travel with some safety pins so that was quickly fixed. Our grateful thanks to the owners for investing in the lamps with extra plug for phones etc. I really appreciate those, and they are often not found in older buildings.
Really, the biggest issue was the Wi-Fi. 4 guests, 6 devices attempted, we could never connect at all except in the lobby. That was really frustrating for the internet addicted members of the party. The hotel seems to have a repeater, and had a number of access points, and the guy at the front desk rebooted the router, but we still couldn't connect.
Lobby is cute in an "old Alaska" way, with a mix of Victoriana and taxidermied animals. we paid approximately 150 for the room, which seemed a bit much, but then, I am not used to Alaska prices, in addition to being a cheapskate.
All in all, a nice visit, good people and a comfortable room. Just don't count on the Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Alaska wing, which means we could get a en suite bath. Also, there are no elevator...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The owners of this dump really did a fine job of a fraud. They showed the nice photographs of the new rooms (and maybe not all of them) in the web. When I tried to book a room they just told me there were a couple of rooms available. Only when I payed they told me the room was in the old side of the hotel and that it had no toilet in the room (!!!????).

Moreover, the flush of the toilet was broken, so I had to go to the desk to report the matter.

Moreover, when I arrived at the desk, the concierge wasn't there. I pushed the ludicrously big and noisy bell. The response was a defiant "What do you want?" from a guy smoking outside and talking to someone. He didn't try to pt out the cigarrette. Just shouted from the distance "Ok".

Not a hotel, mind you. Just a hostel with the price of a good hotel. A scam.

Lousy.

Room Tip: Do yourselves a favor: go find another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank A_C_Lovefield
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Guest from Boston , I understand from your point of view you are disappointed, but this is not a fair or accurate statement regarding the hotel or the website. If you have a complaint it is helpful if you could discuss it with the manager when you are here. Our website accurately displays and explains the room: The Economy room is shown on the Historic Wing with 2 single beds and explains that it only has a sink basin in the room and the use of shared bathrooms, They are in the hall not the room. 8 rms share the 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor. The room rate for this style room economy is about $100 at peak season. From you report the staff explained that there were only a couple of rooms available. Unfortunately these were the only rooms available at that time and they where the rooms without bathrooms. I understand it would have been nice to have a bathroom in the room, but the hotel is not at fault that one was not available when you booked. I do agree and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. The staff member must have stepped away on break and should have quickly returned in a courteous manner to help. This is a serious error and I will address this. I appreciate you letting me know.

Sincerely, Mary

Reviewed 20 August 2013

They didn't say the room hadn't bath until you ended your reservation. They only have 1 bath and 1 shower for all the floor (more tan 10 rooms) And they called themself HOTEL... this is a Hostel with Hotel Price!!!!

Room Tip: be sure you book the New Zone and not the "old" Zone!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank emesteban
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guest from Boston, It is always difficult to help resolve an issue of someone's dissatisfaction. We certainly do not want any guest to be dissatisfied. Many of our guest are very happy with the Historic Wing & the rooms without baths. These rooms are chosen because these guest are on a budget and understand that getting a room at peak season for $100 with the location and other amenities the hotel offers, is a value. I see that you do not feel that way. So from your remarks I am not sure why you opted to book with us, knowing at the time you booked there was no bathroom in the room style you where renting. We do not want our room styles misunderstood -so I am l clarifying the Historic Room Styles for any future guest reviewing this: The Historic Wing has no elevator. The Historic Wing has 8 rooms that are Euro Style -Economy rooms - Rooms Without Bathrooms on the 2nd floor only. They are smaller rooms with 2 single beds( they sleep only 2 ), each room has a sink basin and the Use of 2 Shared Bathroom in the Hall, but they are not shared when in use. The Historic Wing also has 9 Standard Rooms with their own private bathrooms , with 1 Queen Bed. Those looking for All amenities need to reserve in the The Alaska Wing- it is separate from the Historic Wing and offers Deluxe and Executive rooms. I truly hope this helps, the goal is to offer guest what meets their needs and what they will be happy with.

Hoping for happy customer always, Mary

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Great little place to stay in Seward. Great location. Clean with very comfortable beds. My family (2 adults and 2 children) stayed in a room with 2 queen beds. It had a mini-fridge which was great for sodas and water. We stayed in August 2013. There is no AC, but if you open the windows, it is very comfortable and the fresh Alaska air is awesome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

There are apparently two sides to this hotel, one older than the other. One with elevator, the other without. Didn't matter, we were just there for the fishing. The hotel seems to be the oldest one around and the decoration inside is like a hunting lodge with various animal pelts and heads, birds, etc all around. Must have had a friend that was a taxidermist. The room was small but comfortable. We ate in the restaurant attached to the hotel and the food was good, fresh halibut mostly and other seafood. Location is convenient to picking up local Alaska gifts just a block away. During the fishing season I booked late and this was almost the only place left that had vacancy but I don't regret it. It was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: During the fishing season, book early if you want a better room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked a room with 2 queen beds for 4 adults for one night in August, 2013. The staff were exceedingly pleasant and the room was plenty large for my travel party. It was a very rainy time when I stayed so there were a lot of unhappy faces in the lobby and the staff was definitely going out of their way to be jovial with everyone to lighten the mood.

The hotel is on the south end of town nearest the Sea Life Center, which is just a 2 or 3 block walk away. A very quiet location with ample parking and a few cute cafes and bakeries on its doorstep.

The beds were comfortable but on the soft side and the room was very clean and well appointed. There is no a/c that I saw in most rooms but the windows all open and getting fresh air in was very pleasant. The lobby is comfortable, quirky and full of taxidermy! I would say the accommodations are average but, like most of Alaska, the people are well above! The great staff of Hotel Seward made an ordinary stay excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends